How come Lincoln got away with shutting down hundreds of newspapers and jailed journalists

Im not even going to get started on lincoln sending out sherman to rape, murder pillage and kill livestock
:206:

Remember how you whined about this the next time a pseudocon or Trump calls for the murder of women and children hostages in ISIS-held strongholds.
:lol:
What a joke
Your hypocrisy is a joke.
He's a reb, so Lincoln can do no right. But he's got a point about the press thing. Pretty interesting.
whats a reb?
What would you prefer? I'm too old fashioned for you, I know.

and trump cant whine about fake news without being accused of being a tyrant? Lincoln actually WAS a tyrant.
Geez, americans are so disingenuous
America's Greatest President: Abraham Lincoln
http://ocean.otr.usm.edu/~w304644/ajha/americanjournalism/fall09.pdf
Im not even going to get started on lincoln sending out sherman to rape, murder pillage and kill livestock and all of his other unconstitutional acts ;)
Im very interested. TIA
Good links, TN

Our most beloved president was a murderous tyrant.
MURICA!!
I completely disagree. Of course, I'm a Yankee, so.....
Your location isnt an excuse lol
Tyranny is ok with most, if the tyranny helps forward their agenda.
My admiration of Lincoln has everything to do with where I was brought up, as does your hatred of him. Just accept it.
I dunno. I don't ascribe any lack of good faith from TN's OP. The criticisms of Lincoln's abuses are not new. But TN did not, or could not, put them in the context of the times. It wasn't just a civil war, it was active treason by the copperheads in the North to derail the policy of the legally elected congress and Lincoln's administration.

It's a logical fallacy of comparison.

False equivalence - Wikipedia

But it might be an interesting topic if the OP sought to compare the causes of Lincoln's call to violate personal liberties to Trump's. And I would submit that Trump's are less egregious and he has less personal knowledge of personal liberties than did Lincoln

False equivalence, "two wrongs make a right" and presentism.
Again, that was not my intention. 2 wrongs do not make a right. I am not justifying trumps actions. I am calling out the hypocrisy against them.
Trump talks, lincoln jailed and shut down.
As steve mcgarrets sock g5000 says
BIG FUCKING DIFFERENCE

:206:

Remember how you whined about this the next time a pseudocon or Trump calls for the murder of women and children hostages in ISIS-held strongholds.
:lol:
What a joke
He's a reb, so Lincoln can do no right. But he's got a point about the press thing. Pretty interesting.
whats a reb?
I reckon lol

Good links, TN

MURICA!!
My admiration of Lincoln has everything to do with where I was brought up, as does your hatred of him. Just accept it.
I am the only person i know IRL that feels the way i do.
You accept it.
So you are saying location has something to do with whether you support tyranny or not?
I said I admire Lincoln. He was a President at war and he saved the Union. War in general sucks and a lot of things get done on both sides. You know that.

Good links, TN

MURICA!!
I dunno. I don't ascribe any lack of good faith from TN's OP. The criticisms of Lincoln's abuses are not new. But TN did not, or could not, put them in the context of the times. It wasn't just a civil war, it was active treason by the copperheads in the North to derail the policy of the legally elected congress and Lincoln's administration.
LOL WTF is wrong with you? I failed to put it in context? Are you fucking joking?

But it might be an interesting topic if the OP sought to compare the causes of Lincoln's call to violate personal liberties to Trump's. And I would submit that Trump's are less egregious and he has less personal knowledge of personal liberties than did Lincoln

Again, that was not my intention. 2 wrongs do not make a right. I am not justifying trumps actions. I am calling out the hypocrisy against them.
BIG FUCKING DIFFERENCE
You are equating both "wrongs," when there's no actual comparison of what factors led to either presidents' actions. It's a logical fallacy.

Now you could possibly contrast the motivations of Trump to Lincoln, but I suspect you'd be equating the DOJ to the copperheads, and that would just be .... more of the same

Good links, TN

MURICA!!
This is the first I've heard of it and I'm sure no expert on it, so I'll trust the historians. I agree Lincoln had a tough job as a President during a Civil War. Half the country is going to hate you and everyone who tries to support you. It's just how that works.

In the very middle of a Civil War, the Union held elections. Show another example of such a thing in history! Lincoln did things no one would agree with except in a dire situation where anyone who wanted to hold the United States together would have had to do the same or very similar. The rebellion had to be put down for the Republic to survive. The rebellion justified being ended.

BIG FUCKING DIFFERENCE
You are equating both "wrongs," when there's no actual comparison of what factors led to either presidents' actions. It's a logical fallacy.

Now you could possibly contrast the motivations of Trump to Lincoln, but I suspect you'd be equating the DOJ to the copperheads, and that would just be .... more of the same
No, im NOT equating. I am doing the exact opposite.
WORDS dont equate to ACTIONS

BIG FUCKING DIFFERENCE

Is your argument that a failure to criticize Lincolns actions regarding the press degrades the validity of criticisms regarding Trumps actions regarding the press?

In the very middle of a Civil War, the Union held elections. Show another example of such a thing in history! Lincoln did things no one would agree with except in a dire situation where anyone who wanted to hold the United States together would have had to do the same or very similar. The rebellion had to be put down for the Republic to survive. The rebellion justified being ended.
Well, i guess its good he didnt trash the ENTIRE constitution! Lol
So you completely support a leader doing WHATEVER he feels he needs to do, to do what he thinks is right for his countrymen, correct? Screw laws and limitations of his power, correct?

MURICA!!
I am the only person i know IRL that feels the way i do.
You accept it.
So you are saying location has something to do with whether you support tyranny or not?
I said I admire Lincoln. He was a President at war and he saved the Union. War in general sucks and a lot of things get done on both sides. You know that.
Lincoln was elected with a mandate to save the union. He had a congress that likewise pursued that legal policy. However, in the north there were media outlets that supported treason. The seceding states thought their action was legal, and an argument can be made. (I think it fails, but that's another issue)

The issue was that northern media outlets were attempting to defeat the policy of the legally elected govt. No one debated the legitimacy of Lincoln's election; no one contended Lincoln violated the law in getting elected, or that the election itself was unfair.

whats a reb?
I reckon lol
You want me to call you ireckon?
No. I was agreeing you are too old fashioned. I still dont know what reb means

BIG FUCKING DIFFERENCE

Newsflash TN: When you're the POTUS they do, which is something that Daffy Don apparently hasn't figured out yet.

BIG FUCKING DIFFERENCE

Is your argument that a failure to criticize Lincolns actions regarding the press degrades the validity of criticisms regarding Trumps actions regarding the press?
I am saying the America ranks linoln as number 1 or 2 on the list of best presidents.
He shut down hundreds of newspapers and jailed thousands of journalists.
Trump talks shit.
As OL has pointed out, people are saying what he said about CNN is unprecedented and a danger to society. Just his words, not actions.
I know you understand wher ei come from. You trash the TDS sufferers every day.
There is PLENTY to blast that piece of shit about. No need to be fucking retarded about it.
I respect intellectual consistency

BIG FUCKING DIFFERENCE

Newsflash TN: When you're the POTUS they do, which is something that Daffy Don apparently hasn't figured out yet.
TN's attempting to show Lincoln's acts were more serious than Trump's while at the same time ignoring the motivations. Enough of this stupid shit for me. LOL

BIG FUCKING DIFFERENCE

Bullshit fox. There is NO comparison.
If what you are saying is true, then why does the press still dig in him every day? Why is CNN not scared?

BIG FUCKING DIFFERENCE

TN's attempting to show Lincoln's acts were more serious than Trump's while at the same time ignoring the motivations. Enough of this stupid shit for me. LOL
Post number 4 or 5
So the end justifies the means? Even when it involves trashing civil, human and constitutional rights?
ONE MAN trashed our rule of law to do what ONE MAN thought was right. Which begs the question; why didnt congress suspend Habeas corpus? I mean, he was in a civil war!!!
If any other ruler does that in todays standards, he is a dictator. A tyrant. He is probably getting overthrown by the CIA and MI6 too

In fact, i just covered that again a few posts back.
Woiudl it help if i re-post this again in colorful colors?

Forum List

Back