How can mainstream suburban people be so aloof of the capabilities of the space program?

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
I remember watching the "Inspiration4" documentary on Netflix and remember hearing a person, one of the family members I think saying that they thought one of the crew members were going to the Moon.

We haven't had the ability to launch people to the Moon since 1972 but in a couple of years NASA might have that capability.

How could society be that aloof?

Is mainstream suburban society too obsessed with reality TV and the NFL to think of anything else? Or is that just a funny strawman?

If this is common no wonder why space sci fi doesn't last that long on television.

I'd love to see the reality show and NFL loving masses of red blooded suburban America react to seeing promos for big budget space adventures on the reality show channels!

People are too dumb to be curious. One of the things that disappoints me the most about people is their ignorance about and lack of concern for space.

Exploring space does little to help most people.

If done at all, it should be done with advanced telescopes and unmanned probes.

R2D2 instead of Buck Rogers

I remember watching the "Inspiration4" documentary on Netflix and remember hearing a person, one of the family members I think saying that they thought one of the crew members were going to the Moon.

We haven't had the ability to launch people to the Moon since 1972 but in a couple of years NASA might have that capability.

Is mainstream suburban society too obsessed with reality TV and the NFL to think of anything else? Or is that just a funny strawman?

If this is common no wonder why space sci fi doesn't last that long on television.

I'd love to see the reality show and NFL loving masses of red blooded suburban America react to seeing promos for big budget space adventures on the reality show channels!

The sad truth is, if it were not for beating the Russians to the moon, the US would never have gone.

Now if you could somehow tie going to the moon with defeating Trump in 2024, the US government would find a way to get back to the moon

Any ideas on how to do that?

People are too dumb to be curious. One of the things that disappoints me the most about people is their ignorance about and lack of concern for space.
The Twinkling Void

NA$A is a childish Trekkie circus for degenerate escapists. We need to explore the vast resources underneath the Earth's surface instead. But the rulers want us to gaze up at the sky while they cut our legs from under us.

Blocking development of practical and valuable underground resources is a form of hoarding. If a lake full of diamonds was discovered, those who have cornered the market on diamonds would pay some greedy scientist to claim that widespread wearing of those cheap diamonds would reflect heat back into space and cause Global Freezing.

The Twinkling Void

NA$A is a childish Trekkie circus for degenerate escapists. We need to explore the vast resources underneath the Earth's surface instead. But the rulers want us to gaze up at the sky while they cut our legs from under us.

Blocking development of practical and valuable underground resources is a form of hoarding. If a lake full of diamonds was discovered, those who have cornered the market on diamonds would pay some greedy scientist to claim that widespread wearing of those cheap diamonds would reflect heat back into space and cause Global Freezing.

Maybe we'll get our shit together once China starts militarizing space.

Barry Hussein grounded the Space Shuttle and put NASA to work in environment propaganda. We tend to forget that the "Intl. Space Station" is run primarily by Russia and Americans share all the technology with Russia and have to hitch a ride in Russian space junk to get to the station.

Maybe we'll get our shit together once China starts militarizing space.
Star Wars. SDI, Not the Comic-Bookish Movie

That's not outer space. There's a big difference between our wasteful childish Trekkie fixation and whatever is under Earth's gravity. Even more important is the opposite of NA$A's Buck Rogers boondoggle: exploring and using what is below our planet's surface all the way to the core.

Moon is 250,000 miles
Mars 33 million or so

We have the technology but zero will
Send probes
They do a better job than humans and nobody cares if they fail

We can send a probe out 50 years into space, land on a planet and roam around

We can’t do that with humans

Last edited:

1 person mentioned they thought these folks were headed to the moon and that is an indictment of a hundred or 2 hundred million people lol.

And you are wrong about people not liking space sci fi chit. Star Wars, Star Trek, all of the spinoffs and a bunch of other space stuff is insanely popular. I do agree that those reality shows suck. The best doc on the space programs was When we left Earth, Discovery Channel made it.
Clip,

Forum List

Back