House GOP Bill Pushes Term Limits

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Contact your elected congresscritter and DEMAND this be passed...and make it for less terms...None of them should make A LIVING sucking off us taxpayers until they are at deaths door...They can go look for a REAL JOB like the rest of us

SNIP:
That would free the Congress Critters from job lock and make them Free Agents.

Via The Hill

Rep. Mick Mulvaney (R-S.C.) filed a bill on Tuesday that would amend the Constitution and impose term limits on members of Congress.

The measure would call for a maximum of 24 years of service for lawmakers, with 12 years each in both the House and Senate.

Lawmakers in the House are up for election every two years, while senators’ terms run six years. The Constitution, however, does not limit the number of terms a person can serve.

“Believe me, 24 years is more than enough time to serve in Washington. (I actually pushed for much shorter terms but compromised at 12+12 in order to gain the support of additional co-sponsors),” Mulvaney said in a statement on Wednesday. “And I want to thank my friends Steve Scalise (R-La.), Reid Ribble (R-Wis.) and Steve Palazzo (R-Miss.) for their work in getting this bill together.”

The introduction of the bill comes after a series of polls have indicated Congress’s approval rating is at record lows. A Gallup poll in January found 13 percent of people approved of the job that Congress is doing. During the government shutdown in October, the approval rating stood at just 5 percent.

“Now the question becomes: How can we convince enough members of Congress that they are the problem?” Mulvaney added.

ALL of it here
House GOP Bill Pushes Term Limits | Weasel Zippers

Last edited:
We already have term limits.

The voters can limit terms in every election.

They think it's worth putting this together over that? A constitutional amendment that virtually all of congress will surely nay? And for a 24 year term limit?

:lmao:

Am for term-limits on all elected positions and offices.

Think though a single, longer term would help remove concern over favorability polls. Like make the Presidency a single 8 year term, and congressional ones the same length, 8 years beginning and ending just as the President's does so we get a united 'team' for 8 years instead of greenhorns coming and going all the time disrupting everything.

Three terms in the house 2 in the senate,the president stays they way it is now.

Add in a balanced budget and we have something.

We bitch and moan ,but we send the same one back,who's the crazy one here.

Term limits to protect ourselves from ourselves,budget amendment to protect us from them.

Our Congress can't even get a simple budget passed...

Who thinks they are capable of passing a Constitutional Amendment? Another Republican taking up time by proposing meaningless bills.

If Republicans want term limits, I suggest they stop running for re-election after 12 years

We can see how it works out

Forum List

Back