House Democrats quietly fueled end-run around GOP leadership

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
First time this has worked in some time--basically, the Dems just made the entire Republican leadership in the House moot, at least on this issue.

House Democrats quietly helped propel a GOP-led discharge petition to success, marking the first time in nearly a decade the maneuver has worked.
Why it matters: Democratic leaders made a concerted effort to get their members to sign on, according to several senior Democratic sources. It comes after several efforts to force votes on their own bills fell short.

• House Minority Whip Katherine Clark (D-Mass.) urged her colleagues to sign the petition at a closed-door Democratic Caucus meeting on Wednesday, one of the sources said.
  • It's the first time since 2015 that such a petition has gotten the 218 signatures needed to force a vote.
Driving the news: The discharge petition, introduced by Rep. Greg Steube (R-Fla.), forces a vote on Steube's bill to provide tax relief to victims of natural disasters.

• The legislation was part of a broader, bipartisan tax package that passed the House in January but has stalled in the Senate.
  • Around two dozen House Republicans signed onto the discharge petition, but the rest of the 218 signatures came from Democrats.

Democrats said genuine support for the substance of the legislation drove their signatures – but they also see bypassing GOP leadership as an opportunity to flex their legislative muscle.

This is the lib media trying to cover for the fact that dems signed on for a tax cut.... looks like a win for people harmed by tragic weather to me not some kind of win for house dems...
you people are despicable....

This is the lib media trying to cover for the fact that dems signed on for a tax cut.... looks like a win for people harmed by tragic weather to me not some kind of win for house dems...
you people are despicable....
It IS a win for people who were harmed by natural disasters. A win that the Republican leadership was unwilling to give them.
The takeaway from this, for me, is that this was done at the Democrats behest..and rendered the leadership moot, at least on this issue--as they did NOT want to bring it to a vote~

YOU people..are increasingly powerless...

Around two dozen House Republicans signed onto the discharge petition....

So it was bi-partison. Big hairy deal.
Perhaps the big deal..is that it was a couple hundred Democrats..who signed on to a Republican petition? Thus these Republicans rendered their leadership moot--not a position they find acceptable, I would imagine.

As an aside...from all I can tell--bipartisanship is indeed the hugest crime of all these days~

Perhaps the big deal..is that it was a couple hundred Democrats..who signed on to a Republican petition? Thus these Republicans rendered their leadership moot--not a position they find acceptable, I would imagine.

As an aside...from all I can tell--bipartisanship is indeed the hugest crime of all these days~
Well it's what you peckerheads claim when just one RINO sides with you......"In a bipartisan vote".

It IS a win for people who were harmed by natural disasters. A win that the Republican leadership was unwilling to give them.
The takeaway from this, for me, is that this was done at the Democrats behest..and rendered the leadership moot, at least on this issue--as they did NOT want to bring it to a vote~

So what?....

Some people actually are concerned over our 40 trillion dollar debt.... do you understand what will happen when that bill comes due?... are you even smart enough to see the train wreck that is coming?... people who have suffered damage from a storm won't be able to compare to the harm we all will suffer from a economic collapse....

The Republican RINOS always show up for the vote to move us further left. They take turns in close votes.

Forum List

Back