Hot Wheels.

MisterBeale

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2012
I don't think there is a guy on the planet that didn't have a collection of Hot Wheels and Matchbox when they were a kid.

My kid even liked them for a short time from Kindergarten to third grade before he took a shine to Transformers. . .

Anyway, I found this article a short, interesting read. It is unbelievable that collectors would pay this amount for such rarities. . .

Reminds me of Beanie Babies

I remember in the 90s going to a Flea Market and seeing a Beanie Baby under glass that they wanted $500 for.
The seller explained how rare it was because it had pink ears instead of green.

I thought, 50 years from now, how are you going to explain to someone that this stuffed animal is valuable because it has pink ears.

Same goes for these Hot Wheels. Having a white interior instead of black does not make it valuable.

I remember in the 90s going to a Flea Market and seeing a Beanie Baby under glass that they wanted $500 for.

I thought, 50 years from now, how are you going to explain to someone that this stuffed animal is valuable because it has pink ears.

Same goes for these Hot Wheels. Having a white interior instead of black does not make it valuable.
value is in the eye of the beholder,,,
as for the beanie babys, that was just a fad that died as it should have,,,hot wheels are eternal,,,

we tried to have a beanie baby burning party but found out the toxic fumes were to dangerous and had to cancel it

I had a few of the Dodge Deora. I also had the Beatnik Bandit, but it was, if I recall, purple as opposed to pink...

. . . you would be surprised. The variations in color, due to how many they produced of that color, and the demand in the collectors market? Supply and demand, that is what make it valuable to certain folks.

OTH, when the end of the world is here and the only thing anyone cares about is food and TP?

Yeah, you are right, no one gives a shit. :heehee:

I don't think there is a guy on the planet that didn't have a collection of Hot Wheels and Matchbox when they were a kid.

My kid even liked them for a short time from Kindergarten to third grade before he took a shine to Transformers. . .

Anyway, I found this article a short, interesting read. It is unbelievable that collectors would pay this amount for such rarities. . .

Fake news. When I was a kid they didn't have hot wheels! We had to play with bows and arrows and cap guns. And Hula hoops. Girls had dolls and we played doctor with them! We had to play outside! When I got older we didn't have those thin skinned condoms so you could enjoy sex! No, we had to use a rabbit skin tied in a knot and held on with a bungee cord! And we liked it!

. . . you would be surprised. The variations in color, due to how many they produced of that color, and the demand in the collectors market? Supply and demand, that is what make it valuable to certain folks.

OTH, when the end of the world is here and the only thing anyone cares about is food and TP?

Yeah, you are right, no one gives a shit. :heehee:
Rarity does not equal value.

There may be a demand for odd colors now, but in 20 years that demand may be zero.

Many people invested in “collectors plates” in the 90s because they were told they were limited production.

Now, they are worthless

Baby Boomers from the 60s and 70s may value Hot Wheels. Their children will not.

/----/ I didn't because they came out when I was a young teen. By that time, I had slot cars that I could race. More betterer.

I think Matchbox cars from the 1950s in their original boxes will be more valuable than Hot Wheels.

They were of much better quality. Hot Wheels were poorly made throw always

There may be a demand for odd colors now, but in 20 years that demand may be zero.

Or it may be increased ten fold from what it is currently...
I don’t see the long term market.

Baby Boomers may yearn for their childhood Hot Wheels but I don’t see their children and grandchildren having the same passion.

Look kids......This Hot Wheels car has a white interior instead of black.

I think Matchbox cars from the 1950s in their original boxes will be more valuable than Hot Wheels.

My grandmother always used to bring my brother and me Matchbox cars when she would come to visit. This was back when they came in the actual match box.

Also, weren't Matchbox cars made in England? I believe they were owned by a company known as Lesney.

If I wasn't feeling so damn lazy I'd look it up, but I'm pretty sure...

Baby Boomers may yearn for their childhood Hot Wheels but I don’t see their children and grandchildren having the same passion.

I get that. But, then again, it's all speculation.

In 1959, no one thought a Gibson Les Paul would ever be worth more than the $280 price tag it carried, and many people thought that was crazy.

Those guitars can sell for upwards of $200,000 today...

Hot Wheels were way faster due to their axles and plastic tires.
Hot Wheels used guitar string for their axles after a failed attempt to make toy guitars.
Turned out it gave them a bit of suspension and far less rolling resistance than the matchbox cars.

Or it may be increased ten fold from what it is currently...

The reason you don't understand why they are considered valuable NOW, is because you follow liberal economists, and do not understand the mindset of collectors.

Maybe you are correct, maybe in the future, they will be worthless, that is not the point of the thread though. I only find their current demand, NOW, interesting.

Of course the ordinal utility of all consumer goods changes when it comes to collectors items.

My grandmother always used to bring my brother and me Matchbox cars when she would come to visit. This was back when they came in the actual match box.

Also, weren't Matchbox cars made in England? I believe they were owned by a company known as Lesney.

If I wasn't feeling so damn lazy I'd look it up, but I'm pretty sure...
Yes, it was Lesney
I think the originals had rubber tires.

I had Matchboxes in the early 60s. By the late 60s, my little brothers had Hot Wheels. They were cheaper and more fun to play with. But the wheels didn’t last long.

Also, early Tonka Trucks from that era were well made. Almost indestructible.

Forum List

Back