Hoping for the worst

Yes, things are getting better

I wish!

They are not getting better... they will eventually, but they are not getting better despite what the Obama Administration has been saying since February. Things are not getting better. They will and most likely it will happen before the President leaves office even if he decides to only serve one term, but things are not yet getting better... at least not for those of us who are still worried about our jobs.

Immie

What can he do about jobs? He can't force businesses to hire. This is a vicious cycle, almost a Catch-22. Businesses are still afraid they won't have access to long-term credit they need to keep going successfully and therefore won't hire. So until credit starts flowing again, we're at a standstill. The big Wall Street financial institutions had a more profitable year than last year. So where are they investing those profits? That's the $64,000 question, not what Obama will "do" about jobs. He wouldn't have to do ANYTHING if the very institutions we boosted up from bankruptcy would start doing business as intended.

I'm not blaming him. I'm saying that this is a cycle. We have to wait it out. It will get better, with or without his help.

What I was saying is that we will most likely see a turn around before he leaves office, but we are not yet there. What can he do? Promote job increasing economic policies... unfortunately, not everyone agrees what those policies are. I don't believe flooding the basement economics does the trick, but he, and others, seem to.

I do believe that politics played a part in bringing about the downturn when it happened. The democrats talked down the economy before the election in order to sway public opinion against the Republicans. A move, by the way, that I do not believe was necessary. However, regardless of whether they talked down the economy or not, we were due for a hit.

Immie

It's not that the behavior of right wing Repubicans is more egregious then that of Democrats, it's simply a matter of fact that right wingers of all stripes are self righteous hypocrites and that alone makes them contemptable.

Guilty as charged. :)

Want to know what makes liberals contemptible? No, of course you don't, but I am going to tell you anyway... their insistence that the rest of us be tolerant towards them and their causes, but their down right refusal to tolerate us.

Immie

Huh? I tolerate you. I even like you. There are many who post on this board who have legitimate counter opinions which is fine.

Yeah... but you are not one of THEM. :lol: Neither are you contemptable.

Immie

I wish!

They are not getting better... they will eventually, but they are not getting better despite what the Obama Administration has been saying since February. Things are not getting better. They will and most likely it will happen before the President leaves office even if he decides to only serve one term, but things are not yet getting better... at least not for those of us who are still worried about our jobs.

Immie

What can he do about jobs? He can't force businesses to hire. This is a vicious cycle, almost a Catch-22. Businesses are still afraid they won't have access to long-term credit they need to keep going successfully and therefore won't hire. So until credit starts flowing again, we're at a standstill. The big Wall Street financial institutions had a more profitable year than last year. So where are they investing those profits? That's the $64,000 question, not what Obama will "do" about jobs. He wouldn't have to do ANYTHING if the very institutions we boosted up from bankruptcy would start doing business as intended.

I'm not blaming him. I'm saying that this is a cycle. We have to wait it out. It will get better, with or without his help.

What I was saying is that we will most likely see a turn around before he leaves office, but we are not yet there. What can he do? Promote job increasing economic policies... unfortunately, not everyone agrees what those policies are. I don't believe flooding the basement economics does the trick, but he, and others, seem to.

I do believe that politics played a part in bringing about the downturn when it happened. The democrats talked down the economy before the election in order to sway public opinion against the Republicans. A move, by the way, that I do not believe was necessary. However, regardless of whether they talked down the economy or not, we were due for a hit.

Immie

I'm in the middle of reading a lengthy article on Hank Paulson, comprised of a series of interviews over a span of a year BEFORE the demise of Bear-Stearns and Lehman Brothers in early 2008. It's clear that the downturn began in 2007. All the red flags were there, and if politics entered into it at all, it was because those red flags were kept under wraps.

Immie

I'm in the middle of reading a lengthy article on Hank Paulson, comprised of a series of interviews over a span of a year BEFORE the demise of Bear-Stearns and Lehman Brothers in early 2008. It's clear that the downturn began in 2007. All the red flags were there, and if politics entered into it at all, it was because those red flags were kept under wraps.

Someone's opinion... good that solves it.

It is no more valid than my opinion that what brought about the downturn when it started was the Democrats who were seeking to shore up their chances of winning in '08. They didn't need to do it because not even Jesus Christ could have won in 2008 running as a Republican.

Immie

Last edited:
Guilty as charged. :)

Want to know what makes liberals contemptible? No, of course you don't, but I am going to tell you anyway... their insistence that the rest of us be tolerant towards them and their causes, but their down right refusal to tolerate us.

Immie

Huh? I tolerate you. I even like you. There are many who post on this board who have legitimate counter opinions which is fine.

Yeah... but you are not one of THEM. :lol: Neither are you contemptable.

Immie

hey! be grateful that one of the perfect people has allowed you an opinion,, it doesn't happen often..

Immie

It is no more valid than my opinion that what brought about the downturn when it started was the Democrats who were seeking to shore up their chances of winning in '08. They didn't need to do it because not even Jesus Christ could have won in 2008 running as a Republican.

Immie

No, not someone's opinion. A consolidation of Paulson's response during interviews. I'm sure if he thought there was any intent to exaggerate or embellish, or lie, he would have already said so. He is, after all, trying to salvage his reputation.

As I scan through some of the threads today, posted by the usual vicious extremists, I'm getting the sense that these people are actually eager for another al-Qaeda attack on American soil, one that would do as much devastation as 911, just to "prove" that Obama failed to prevent an attack, as was alleged personally against Bush in 2001--just to get even.

Short of reviewing the entire background of events leading to the attacks of 911, there was a lot that wasn't known on a large scale about the capabilities of terrorists pre-2001. But before it happened, I can't think of anyone who was hoping such an attack would happen just because they didn't like George W. Bush.

I get the impression that some so-called "Americans" who post here would just love for the economy to totally tank, so they can then laugh and high-five their fellow jerkoffs that the whole thing is Obama's fault.

They gleefully post how bad retail numbers are, how unemployment keeps rising, and pooh-pooh any of the encouraging barometers. These negative arm-chair politicos don't want to know anything about the history leading up to the economic crisis nor admit that it was years in the making. They constantly see the glass as half-empty and pray that it stays that way, just so they can blame Obama, period.

Is that what you people believe it means to think like an American these days? Our ancestors who forged this country through thick and thin and weathered all sorts of threats from foreign enemies and economic downturns are turning in their graves over the current ATTITUDES of so-called "Americans" whose only desire for America is to tear it down.

Well I'm one American who thinks that YOUR version of what it means to be an American makes me sick to my stomach.

Not "people", just Republicans. They hate to have it pointed out that they work with al Qaeda. The arrangement may not be "formal", but it exists.

Immie

No, not someone's opinion. A consolidation of Paulson's response during interviews. I'm sure if he thought there was any intent to exaggerate or embellish, or lie, he would have already said so. He is, after all, trying to salvage his reputation.

Oh? So now we are talking about dozens of liberal democrat's opinions all trying to point fingers at Republicans.

I would like to revise my comment:

My opinion is much more valid than their opinion. :D

Immie

Immie

Oh? So now we are talking about dozens of liberal democrat's opinions all trying to point fingers at Republicans.

I would like to revise my comment:

My opinion is much more valid than their opinion. :D

Immie

What are you talking about? I'm talking about the one-on-one interview conducted by Larry Kudlow. The article isn't someone's "opinion." And Hank Paulson is a Republican, GWB's third Treasury Secretary.

An Interview with Hank Paulson by Larry Kudlow on National Review Online

Forum List

Back