HOLY COW!!!!

It was Thompson for decades. His record has been beaten!
Garlits is from around here, he's a smart guy. Some might think him a little conspiracy-theory-ish.
I've read his stuff. He may be right, or he may be wrong, not sure. What is for sure is that he thinks about things.
Damn! The internet postings of Don Garlits seem to be gone. He believed in the "grays" and all kinds of stuff.
If I had the URL saved that might be different..always save URLs, people.
Garlits went deep with it.

Last edited:
It was Thompson for decades. His record has been beaten!
Garlitz is from around here, he's a smart guy. Some might think him a little conspiracy-theory-ish.
I've read his stuff. He may be right, or he may be wrong, not sure. What is for sure is that he thinks about things.
Great guy. I met him at the track a few times. Go Tube some interviews he did.

^I haven't gone through the actual links, but Don Garlits stuff is somewhere on this page..I read it in like..2006..and was like..wow..

^ that does lead to around what I read back then. He was a very smart guy, may have been wrong about some things, but may not have been, too.
At least that's what the site looked like.
It was his own personal blog or something.

Last edited:

I recall my step dad and I talking about Don Garlis Top Fuel Dragster hitting 180mph- my step dad said they had gone about as far as they could with an internal combustion engine.

What a cool thing to do! Fastest I have been is about 110 mph! Scared the crap out of me!:laugh:
169 for me.

155 myself....on a modified Yamaha FZ 750 Genesis.
Got the high speed wobble at 145...and had to come back through it.
All I could see was the cheese slicer barbed wire fence on either side of the road.

The most impressive record I've ever seen isn't the most recent. It was actually set in 1906 by the Stanley Steamer Vanderbilt Cup racer and stood for five years.

127 MPH in a time when 7/8th of the world's population traveled by horse. I can't even imagine what that must have felt like for a driver who, until then, had never gone faster than a steam train.

06-Stanley-Steamer-Roadster-DV-08-AACA-02-800.jpg

I recall my step dad and I talking about Don Garlis Top Fuel Dragster hitting 180mph- my step dad said they had gone about as far as they could with an internal combustion engine.

What a cool thing to do! Fastest I have been is about 110 mph! Scared the crap out of me!:laugh:
169 for me.

155 myself....on a modified Yamaha FZ 750 Genesis.
Got the high speed wobble at 145...and had to come back through it.
All I could see was the cheese slicer barbed wire fence on either side of the road.
I was on a Yamaha VFR 750 filled with jet fuel. :woohoo:
I doubt you can even do that anymore. (Go out to the airport and gas up with jet fuel.)
My helmet started choking me...had to back off. It had more in it, but I didn't.

I've been in a Tesla at 141- I did 125 on my 750 Honda (and had front end wobble slowing down) telephone poles looked like a black picket fence- passenger planes fly at 535 +/- a little mph- lift off speed of about 200. I cannot imagine 471 mph, on the ground, thus HOLY COW! I wonder how long it took for the drivers adrenaline to subside- I wonder if he had trouble standing when he got out. Damn!

I watched the World of Outlaws night before last, on what the World of Outlaws measure exactly 1/4 mile oval-
Kyle Larson qualified with a 10.01 and change and the top 12 cars qualified at under 10 1/2 seconds on dirt- ON DIRT!

My step dad was pretty sharp mechanically- but he missed that call by a ton.

I'm a gear head- I've kept up with this stuff my whole life. The advances that have been made on internal combustion engines is amazing! I can remember when 1 HP/CI was incredible for a Naturally aspirated engine-
now days that is common...from the factory.
Top Fuel and Nitro Funny cars have so much HP it has to be calculated as there is no machine (dynamometer) that can measure it- it's claimed they have 11,000 HP o_O
Drag strips have been shortened to 1000ft because the Top Fuel and Nitro Funny Cars were going well over 300mph with regularity. (and they still go over 300 with regularity)
NASCAR engines have in the neighborhood of 900 HP- from 358 cubic inches- naturally aspirated.
The Outlaw Sprint cars (my favorite) are a little over 900 HP with 410 cubic inches- the cars have to weigh 1400 lbs, with driver, after the race.

Amazing stuff- to me.

Forum List

Back