Holocaust History

Fewer than 600 of those who enacted the Holocaust received heavy sentences after WWII. David Wilkinson’s docu explores how the mass of Nazi criminals, collaborators escaped justice​

(full article online)

Adolfo Kaminsky’s talent was as banal as could be: He knew how to remove supposedly indelible blue ink from paper. But it was a skill that helped save the lives of thousands of Jews in France during World War II.

He had learned how to remove such stains as a teenager working for a clothes dyer and dry cleaner in his Normandy town. When he joined the anti-Nazi resistance at 18, his expertise enabled him to erase Jewish-sounding names like Abraham or Isaac that were officially inscribed on French ID and food ration cards, and substitute them with typically gentile-sounding ones.

The forged documents allowed Jewish children, their parents and others to escape deportation to Auschwitz and other concentration camps, and in many cases to flee Nazi-occupied territory for safe havens.

At one point, Mr. Kaminsky was asked to produce 900 birth and baptismal certificates and ration cards for 300 Jewish children in institutional homes who were about to be rounded up. The aim was to deceive the Germans until the children could be smuggled out to rural families or convents, or to Switzerland and Spain. He was given three days to finish the assignment.

He toiled for two straight days, forcing himself to stay awake by telling himself: “In one hour I can make 30 blank documents. If I sleep for an hour 30 people will die.”

(full article online )

Veach is part of a now-aging cohort of children born or raised in the DP camps, the last with a first-hand connection to the experience of some 250,000 Jewish survivors who passed through them at the end of the war. To make sure memories of the camps survive them, the YIVO Institute for Jewish Research and the United Nations Department of Global Communications have staged a short-term exhibit, “After the End of the World: Displaced Persons and Displaced Persons Camps.”​

What does the UN exhibit display?​

On display at UN headquarters in New York City Jan. 10 through Feb. 23, it is intended to illuminate “how the impact of the Holocaust continued to be felt after the Second World War ended and the courage and resilience of those that survived in their efforts to rebuild their lives despite having lost everything,” according to a press release.

Among the artifacts on display are dolls created by Jewish children and copies of some of the 70-odd newspapers published by residents, as well as photographs of weddings, theatrical performances, sporting events and classroom lessons.

The exhibit is “about the displaced persons themselves, about their lives and their hopes and their dreams, their ambitions, their initiatives,” said Debórah Dwork, who directs the Center for the Study of the Holocaust, Genocide, and Crimes Against Humanity at the Graduate Center-CUNY, who served as the scholar adviser for the exhibition.

(full article online)

"To me, it's empowering," said Rabbi Eli Lob with the BBJ Synagogue and Southern NCSY as he looked at the WWII-era cattle car replica sitting in the Benedictine Military School parking lot on Thursday.

"My relatives didn't die for nothing, rather ... it's the lessons we take from it that we have to do all we can to raise more compassion and try to prevent hatred."

Inside the experience sat around 25 students from Islands High School, who were immersed in visuals and testimonies of the people who experienced similar enclosures when they were stripped from their homes by Nazi soldiers and transported to concentration camps across Germany during World War II.

(full article online )

What happened to Anny-Yolande Horowitz and her family during the Holocaust?

Anny-Yolande Horowitz was a Jewish girl born on June 2, 1933 in Strasbourg, France. She and her family were interned in the Lalande camp near Tours and then transferred to Drancy before being deported on September 11, 1942 on Convoy 31 to Auschwitz-Birkenau. Unfortunately, Anny, her mother Frieda and her sister Paulette did not survive the Holocaust.

8954508E-5D43-48F2-87F3-B780C9AA001B.jpeg

This photo is from "French Children of the Holocaust: A Memorial" by Serge Klarsfeld. It's a huge doorstop of a book containing whatever photos and information that remain of the 11,000 French-Jewish children who were murdered by Nazis like Klaus Barbie (who Klarsfeld helped put on trial). The number of beautiful, innocent faces in this book is overwhelming. The book cost me $85 but I didn't care - I needed to remember those faces."

All that is known of Anny is what is on her identification card, that she was Jewish, had blonde hair, blue eyes, a rosy complexion and was of moderate height, and that she had a cute little-girl handwriting.

This information is from the book "French Children of the Holocaust: A Memorial" by Serge Klarsfeld, which is a comprehensive collection of photos and information of the 11,000 French-Jewish children who were murdered by the Nazis during World War II. The book serves as a powerful reminder of the innocent lives lost in the Holocaust.

Forum List

Back