Hidden compartments

Blues Man

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2016
I don;t know about any of you but I love to make stuff.

I have a small but very well equipped wood shop in my little barn and I like to make all kinds of stuff.

I have recently decided to build some furniture and shelves with some hidden compartments because they are just so cool

Here's where i got the ideas

Anyone have any other cool ideas for this?

I build secret hiding places into houses fairly often. One was a concealed food stash for a hard core mormon, another was clearly going to be a grow room. Lots of safes.

I like the hidden gun shelves.

You can lock them to keep the kids out.

If you're burglarized, the criminals aren't going to find your guns. Guns are a trophy find for criminals.

Comic relief... and true story
In a home I raised my kids in, in my son's room... one day while playing he finds a loose board.
And there in this small space between the floorboards is a small box. And in the box are negatives. Not knowing what they were, he brings them to me.
I hold it up to the light and - whoa boy! - nude photos. At that time I worked at a newspaper and they had negative readers. Basically you place a negative in it and on your screen will be the photo as a positive.
There were about 10 photos. Mostly a topless female giving oral to two guys. It was not the people that lived there before, but the folks who lived there before them. The photos were taken in the 1970s. I always wondered how in the world did they forget they left the photos there?

Comic relief... and true story
In a home I raised my kids in, in my son's room... one day while playing he finds a loose board.
And there in this small space between the floorboards is a small box. And in the box are negatives. Not knowing what they were, he brings them to me.
I hold it up to the light and - whoa boy! - nude photos. At that time I worked at a newspaper and they had negative readers. Basically you place a negative in it and on your screen will be the photo as a positive.
There were about 10 photos. Mostly a topless female giving oral to two guys. It was not the people that lived there before, but the folks who lived there before them. The photos were taken in the 1970s. I always wondered how in the world did they forget they left the photos there?
Remodeling is an adventure sometimes. I have found hidden items such as:
$600 dollars
A gun so rusty it was useless.
Love letters from 1830.
Impromptu time capsules from the builder.
Dirty magazines.
Very old pot.
Needles.

Remodeling is an adventure sometimes. I have found hidden items such as:
$600 dollars
A gun so rusty it was useless.
Love letters from 1830.
Impromptu time capsules from the builder.
Dirty magazines.
Very old pot.
Needles.
Me too. In the 90s and early 2000s I flipped some houses and had a few rental properties.
During demolition I have founds lots of stuff...
mostly newspapers from many decades before.
The coolest was in one house, some years back they remodeled the bathroom and closed off an old stairway.
I knew the space was there, and wanted to expand the master closet (and did), We knocked the walls down, and in the space was a bunch of discarded stuff they apparently stacked in there when they walled it up to just get rid of it.
An entire old shaving kit, with the old leather straps, mug/brush. Old Christmas decorations, magazines, hats., toys.. a lot of stuff. I ended up selling it all to an antique shop.

That's very cool. Somewhere I saw great wood puzzle boxes, small jewelry dresser with 3 drawers and chest carved from one piece wood. Made that one. I have a dozen cool books on wood projects, it's a blast. I moved and am building back up my shop, wood working, knifemaking, metal working, plasma, mig, lathe and mill coming (had 3 lathes and 2 mills, miss them!)

WOOTEN-AMERICAN-RENAISSANCE-REVIVAL-WALNUT-PATENT-DESK-Heritage-Auctions.jpg
51wK6WHf50S._AC_UL320_.jpg
510d68874b0c9770bfc24a5ceedddf1f.jpg
antique-asprey-jewellery-box-06-700x437.jpg

I don;t know about any of you but I love to make stuff.

I have a small but very well equipped wood shop in my little barn and I like to make all kinds of stuff.

I have recently decided to build some furniture and shelves with some hidden compartments because they are just so cool

Here's where i got the ideas

Anyone have any other cool ideas for this?

The floating shelf is too well known IMO.

Yeah you might be right but those night stands were pretty cool
That is sweet.

Beyond my skill level unfortunately.

I could probably handle the clock or the coat hanger.

This would be stretching my abilities...

But!

The guy has plans for a couple other cool hidden compartment builds...

Forum List

Back