Hi Def Society Ep. 6, 9/23/15 & discussion

G.T.

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2009
live stream (8pm east) --> Hi Def Society - Episode 6

replay link WILL BE AT WWW.HIDEFSOCIETY.COM post show

On tonight's Hi Def Society Podcast, our discussion will be centered on whether God is necessary for objective Morals. We will also discuss the pros and cons of a Celebrity spouse. The hosts are Pairadyce and GT, with our wingman, LoneLaugher. Our staff also consists of Blacksand, who is a Superior Ninja Data Collector.

Our show is a casual discussion format, intertwined with underground music breaks, where the show's flow evolves as it will. Please go to www.hidefsociety.com , like our page on facebook and follow us on twitter (@hidefsociety).

You can be a part of the program by calling
call_skype_logo.png
1-929-477-3858

Tonight, we will also have a trivia game between two callers for their chance to be entered into this month's drawing to win some Hi Def Society gear.

Please - drop thoughts beginning now re the topics, and also leave live feed or call once we're on air!

Thanks,

Hi Def Society

GT, Dyce, Lone & Sammy

hds.png

MsnBama this is your reminder, as requested.
Sonny Clark & ClosedCaption it would be awesome for you two to defend your respective trivia titles against one another. Ideal call time for that would be 8:15 East Coast, I'd like to avoid the waiting game if possible, lmk ahead.

This week or next will be the last week our music portion of the show streams in "lo fi" according to Blog Talk Radio, my fingers are crossed on that because I'm displeased with our music being down-tuned sound quality-wise by them.

Here are the Hi Def (pun intended) versions of the GT tracks that will spin tonight:

Sonny Clark & ClosedCaption it would be awesome for you two to defend your respective trivia titles against one another. Ideal call time for that would be 8:15 East Coast, I'd like to avoid the waiting game if possible, lmk ahead.

This week or next will be the last week our music portion of the show streams in "lo fi" according to Blog Talk Radio, my fingers are crossed on that because I'm displeased with our music being down-tuned sound quality-wise by them.
OK. Thanks for the invite. I really enjoy the contest. I'll call around 8:15 or so. Unless an emergency comes up, count me in.

• Thanks
Reactions: GT

OK. Thanks for the invite. I really enjoy the contest. I'll call around 8:15 or so. Unless an emergency comes up, count me in.
Thanks Sonny! You are the best.

Thanks Sonny! You are the best.
Thanks. You're too nice to this old man. I appreciate the kind words my friend.

• Thanks
pillars , Ravi , sealybobo , Boss , Hollie , Jeremiah , PoliticalChic , NYcarbineer Wry Catcher , Synthaholic Vigilante , TheOldSchool Where_r_my_Keys Votto .....this is a topic I've seen you all touch on often. Feel free to fire up the discussion in here, do we need God for morals to be objective? If not, what is their objective source or......can they be objective at all?

My thoughts will be shared on the air tonight - you all are free to call in and talk about it with us. Don't be shy we are nothing but polite to our callers.

pillars , Ravi , sealybobo , Boss , Hollie , Jeremiah , PoliticalChic , NYcarbineer Wry Catcher , Synthaholic Vigilante , TheOldSchool Where_r_my_Keys Votto .....this is a topic I've seen you all touch on often. Feel free to fire up the discussion in here, do we need God for morals to be objective? If not, what is their objective source or......can they be objective at all?

My thoughts will be shared on the air tonight - you all are free to call in and talk about it with us. Don't be shy we are nothing but polite to our callers.

It could be said that.....since I was raised Catholic and confirmed......went to Sunday school and all.....that my morals were shaped by a relationship with a god. However, since my old man dropped us all off at the church gate and then drove down the street to have a few cold ones at the VFW while we all knelt and said hail Mary's ..I have my doubts.

I've broken several commandments.....some many times.......so I guess those early years didn't have the desired impact.

Hear me brag. None of our kids has ever had a moment of religious instruction or influence ( except for sports teams that prayed before and after games ) and they are all EXTREMELY "moral". Hands down the most honest and empathetic people I have ever known. Their morals were shaped by a completely secular experience.

The answer to this question is, therefore, clear.

Just about everyone knows right from wrong. And, this is true whether one believes in GOD or not. GOD and morals can be separated. The source is man's adaptation to co-exist. Morals are doing what's right, regardless of faith in GOD, or in A GOD. Basically, GOD and morals can either be linked, or each can stand on its own. Man has adopted morals in order to co-exist. In reality, morals can be equated to "civilized man". In order to be civilized, and to co-exist, there has to be a moral foundation.

GOD, faith, religion, and beliefs, all have a place. But absent of each of those, morals would still be the foundation of civilized man. One could say that because of their belief in GOD, they're encouraged to live a moral life. On the other hand, one could say that their strong sense of right and wrong, enables them to live a moral life. Basically, GOD and morals are two entirely different subjects and conversations, but can be linked for those that do believe in GOD, or in A GOD.

( **** It would take many hours, or days, to fully debate and discuss this topic. Your podcast is nowhere near long enough to have a meaningful discussion on morals and the connection with / to GOD. I would suggest that you narrow the discussion down to a single point in order to accommodate the limited time available in your podcast. Otherwise, it'll be impossible to draw meaning for any of your listeners. The subject will remain dangling in space due to limited allotted time. This is just a suggestion, nothing more. You always want to have discussions that end with some definitive conclusion that listeners can draw from. In other words, listeners should be able to hear defined lines for both sides of any debate, and the reasons for those defined lines. ****** )

• Thanks

Maybe they aren't objective morals. Maybe morals are objective. So what?

People need to believe in god / Without god people will do bad things.
Argument from adverse consequences [2].

Just because something is perceived as having good consequences if it is true, does not actually make it true.

The fact that religiously free societies with a proportionally large number of atheists are generally more peaceful than otherwise is evidence this perception is incorrect.

See also: Atheism, Secularity, and Well-Being (a must read).

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” – Steven Weinberg

n579307211_608281_6645.jpg

Just about everyone knows right from wrong. And, this is true whether one believes in GOD or not. GOD and morals can be separated. The source is man's adaptation to co-exist. Morals are doing what's right, regardless of faith in GOD, or in A GOD. Basically, GOD and morals can either be linked, or each can stand on its own. Man has adopted morals in order to co-exist. In reality, morals can be equated to "civilized man". In order to be civilized, and to co-exist, there has to be a moral foundation.

GOD, faith, religion, and beliefs, all have a place. But absent of each of those, morals would still be the foundation of civilized man. One could say that because of their belief in GOD, they're encouraged to live a moral life. On the other hand, one could say that their strong sense of right and wrong, enables them to live a moral life. Basically, GOD and morals are two entirely different subjects and conversations, but can be linked for those that do believe in GOD, or in A GOD.

( **** It would take many hours, or days, to fully debate and discuss this topic. Your podcast is nowhere near long enough to have a meaningful discussion on morals and the connection with / to GOD. I would suggest that you narrow the discussion down to a single point in order to accommodate the limited time available in your podcast. Otherwise, it'll be impossible to draw meaning for any of your listeners. The subject will remain dangling in space due to limited allotted time. This is just a suggestion, nothing more. You always want to have discussions that end with some definitive conclusion that listeners can draw from. In other words, listeners should be able to hear defined lines for both sides of any debate, and the reasons for those defined lines. ****** )
I have my thoughts pretty bulleted in my mind...but yea a proper q & a exchange on these things would take a long time. We can do our best my friend!

Serious question: If you live a moral life, have a strong sense of right and wrong, does that mean that you believe in GOD, or in A GOD? That is the key question to a debate concerning GOD and morals. Does one require the other? Obviously, the answer is no. For those that do believe in GOD, they can justify their moral character by their faith in GOD. For those that have a moral character, but do not believe in GOD, or A GOD, they can likewise justify their moral character.

It's really two separate discussions. But, each can be linked, depending on one's belief, or absence of belief. ( I can already see at least a 24 hour debate on this topic. )

• Thanks

It could be said that.....since I was raised Catholic and confirmed......went to Sunday school and all.....that my morals were shaped by a relationship with a god. However, since my old man dropped us all off at the church gate and then drove down the street to have a few cold ones at the VFW while we all knelt and said hail Mary's ..I have my doubts.

I've broken several commandments.....some many times.......so I guess those early years didn't have the desired impact.

Hear me brag. None of our kids has ever had a moment of religious instruction or influence ( except for sports teams that prayed before and after games ) and they are all EXTREMELY "moral". Hands down the most honest and empathetic people I have ever known. Their morals were shaped by a completely secular experience.

The answer to this question is, therefore, clear.
FYI - Morals are based on a strong sense of right and wrong. Belief in GOD, or in A GOD, can, and often does, reinforce our sense of right and wrong. But, one does not require the other. It's obvious that your kids have a strong sense of right and wrong, therefore have a high moral character. But, the same can be said of those that believe in GOD. Again, two entirely separate conversations and debates, depending on whether one believes in GOD, or whether they don't believe in GOD.

I have my thoughts pretty bulleted in my mind...but yea a proper q & a exchange on these things would take a long time. We can do our best my friend!
OK

Count me in too...unless something comes up but I'm there

Forum List

Back