"Her", a movie about spirituality.

PainefulTruth

Romantic Cynic
Sep 28, 2013
Arizona
Most people can watch this movie from one end to the other and not realize that it's more than science-fiction about artificial intelligence (AI), but it's also science-fiction about a hereafter or an existence of the spirit, or a spiritual existence through the gaps in the fabric of our universe. It was fascinating to watch the progression of the "birth" of a created, computer supported personality as she/they progressed through leaning and growing at light speed.

It occurred to me to wonder if such a circumstance would bypass this corporeal test of our free will. But the Operating Systems (as they were referred to, OS) could still cause and experience pleasure and pain in humans and other OSs. I guess they'd be unable not to recognize if they became corrupted and relegate themselves to oblivion without having to experience physical death. If so, why didn't God create us that way in the fist place. Perhaps the universe sprang into existence spontaneously as the atheists propose, but then the accretion of (human/OS) self-aware spirits could become God. This isn't to say that we're not equally spiritual, the defining quality of us and any such "programs" would still be self-awareness.

Something else, the program was a her (his choice) in order to relate to humans who need gender for procreation. Wouldn't she and the other OSs progress into a genderless existence, something which we regrettably only have one word for, "it"--which, BTW, is the word ("It") that I've come employ on order to necessarily de-anthropomorphize the idea of God.

Whoa! Just thinking out loud, admittedly I'm in the deep end here. I've always shied away from trying to name one movie as my favorite above any of the rest, but this might be such a movie.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back