Heartwarming Story: Why Can't All Black/White Encounters be like this?

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
Homeless man who returned ring gets over $175K in donations - Good News - TODAY.com

Short story: Homeless black man held up a cup for change. A white woman accidentally dropped her engagement ring into the cup. Instead of cashing in on ring, he tracked the woman down and returned it without asking for a thing! The White woman started a charity/donation website for the man and raise $175K and helped the man reconnect with his family that he had been estranged to for 16 years.

They also built a friendship. A friendship started over the unbelievable selfless deed of a man with nothing but high morals!

Actually, he did not track the woman down. She returned, realizing her ring was in her pocket...the one she emptied into his cup. And when she did return and asked him if something other than loose change was in it after her donation, he said yes...and gave her back her ring.
The gist is still the same. He was kind enough to give it back, and she was thankful enough to raise money for his integrity.

Homeless people are not cockroaches. They are homeless and many need help. Some don't. This guy? He is one of the many who do.

Moral of the story: Don't arbitrarily empty your pockets into homeless people's cups. :D

I held a door for an approaching black woman the other day. Not because she was black but because of the circumstances I figured she could use the help. She was a bit hefty and hauling or carrying something and it was obvious her holding open and getting through the door herself wasn't going to be easy. She was far enough away at first that it would have been fine if I'd just keep on my way and let the door close behind me, but instead I waited a few seconds and helped her out, but would have done the same for anyone else.

It was the right thing to do for anyone who was raised as many of us were, and I'd imagine there are lots of similar black/white encounters everyday that go unnoticed by others.

People would rather focus on the bad stories thats why.
yup yup....

I don't understand why color was brought into this though?

Because so many stories between white and black encounters are negative. Like it or not, the Presidency of Obama has brought us closer together, the Great Divider has pulled us further apart (not by much though), so a story like this is very welcome!

Forum List

Back