Health Care Bill Dead or "feeling happy"?

Ragnar

<--- Pic is not me
Jan 23, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
Two issues really. Abortion language being the obvious one and, more quietly, the Senate language on coverage for illegal immigrants. Two different groups of Democrats are still butting heads over the details. (see links below)

Realistically they have to be about as close as they have ever been. That's not an objective judgment but a guess by virtue of the tone of some of the media and statments by Pelosi. She has claimed to have the needed votes recently but I have no doubt if that were true the vote would happen right away. Still, one can hold out the slim hope that the whole thing might still fizzle and disappear leaving us some of the few freedoms we have left.

"Dead on arrival"? Still too soon to say. But whatever happens, how long can this dance really go on?

Immigration provision has Hispanic Caucus threatening ?no? health vote - TheHill.com

Since last fall, Congressional Hispanic Caucus (CHC) members have kept quiet, at least publicly, about their objections to the immigration provisions in the Senate bill.

The Senate language would prohibit illegal immigrants’ buying healthcare coverage from the proposed health exchanges. The House-passed bill isn’t as restrictive, but it does — like the Senate bill — bar illegal immigrants from receiving federal subsidies to buy health insurance.

Hispanic Democrats say they haven’t moved from their stance that they will not vote for a healthcare bill containing the Senate’s prohibitions.

FOXNews.com - Senate Health Care Bill Dead on Arrival, Pro-Life House Democrats Say

The health care reform bill passed by the Senate on Christmas Eve appears to be dead on arrival in the House, as six anti-abortion Democrats intend to join the ranks of lawmakers who plan to vote against the legislation, Fox News has confirmed.

Six new no votes would be enough to kill the Senate bill, and several more fence-sitting lawmakers are under pressure from both sides of the aisle.

Foremost among the six nos is Rep. Bart Stupak, D-Mich., whose anti-abortion amendment to the House version of the legislation got the bill passed in that chamber last year.

In addition to Stupak, Rep. Dan Lipinski of Illinois has gone on the record as changing his vote to no if asked to pass the Senate bill, which some argue doesn't do enough to forbid tax-funded abortions. "Protecting the sanctity of life is a matter of principle," Lipinski said.

Other Democratic representatives who voted yes on the House bill but are a no vote if the Senate language remains are Reps. Joe Donnelly of Indiana, Kathy Dahlkemper of Pennsylvania, Steve Driehaus of Ohio and Marion Berry of Arkansas.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGFXGwHsD_A]YouTube - Monty Python: Not Dead Yet[/ame]

Well, here we go. Small step in the right direction.

Gutierrez: Health bill's immigration parts enough to vote against - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

The healthcare bill's immigration provisions are enough to spur Hispanic members of Congress to vote against it, Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-Ill.) said Thursday.

BTW that's a previous "yes" vote, turning into a recent "no" vote. This is just more proof that there is enough garbage of every kind to make most American's dislike the bill no matter what party (or none) they belong to.

It's way past time to start over and try for a good reform bill.

I'll be glad when they either pass this fucking bill or defeat this damned thing and quit talking about it. I've heard enough Health Care Reform talk to last me more than a lifetime. Up or down - it's time to move on.

I'll be glad when they either pass this fucking bill or defeat this damned thing and quit talking about it. I've heard enough Health Care Reform talk to last me more than a lifetime. Up or down - it's time to move on.

I'm quite sure your not alone in that opinion. lol

However, consider this: If this current version of health care passes (the 1/6th of the economy and likely to grow version) then the health care "debate" will the number one topic and issue for the rest of our lives. (barring temporary emergencies)

That is the case in every place that has some version of what we seek. The bureaucrats who get put in charge of overseeing the mess and the confirmation of their own overseer's in Congress will be a political battle after EVERY election and every other kind of change in the balance of power. How to keep funding it, how to make it more inclusive and how to improve service when it turns out to be less than nirvana... it will never go away.

With our very health in government hands the issue will dwarf every other political argument America has ever had by an order of magnitude. (minus maybe the civil war)

Forum List

Back