Health authorities contemplate a new programme to survey German shit in perpetuity for Covid as part of a virus "early warning system".

• Banned
I fear that they will just never, ever, ever stop testing:

Scientists in Rhineland-Pfalz are considering the transition from the pandemic to the endemic stage with a study on wastewater surveys for Corona. “We’re the only federal state in Germany that’s doing wastewater analyses accompanied with a survey,” said state vaccination coordinator Daniel Stich (SPD) in Mainz. “Right now, therefore, Rhineland-Pfalz is positioning itself for possible future pandemics.” …

Samples are taken twice a week at 15 sewage treatment plants in the state and tested for the Covid and its current variants. In addition, almost 7,500 people in the state’s five major centres take a Covid rapid test twice a week, says Professor Karl-Heinz Küfer of the Fraunhofer Institute for Industrial and Mathematical Methods (ITWM) in Kaiserslautern. …
Other German states have already expressed interest [in the project]…
The effort is scheduled to run to the end of the year and will cost 2.5 million Euros. Those involved hint darkly that any future programme growing out of the trial might survey for other respiratory viruses as well, such as RSV and influenza. Thus the press will always have something to panic about.

At the end there’s this funny bit:......

I fear that they will just never, ever, ever stop testing:

The effort is scheduled to run to the end of the year and will cost 2.5 million Euros. Those involved hint darkly that any future programme growing out of the trial might survey for other respiratory viruses as well, such as RSV and influenza. Thus the press will always have something to panic about.

At the end there’s this funny bit:......
They've been sampling effluent in Los Angeles for some time, I read ---- I don't know if any other U.S. cities are.

Fairly harmless, I think. I mean, really, who cares.

Forum List

Back