Have your elected representatives provided leadership?

Woodznutz

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2021
As a young inexperienced voter I had no way of knowing if my local, state, or federal representatives were making good decisions on my behalf. Now that I'm older, and can see the results of decades of legislation, I can say that it's a mixed bag of good, bad, and indecision on the part of them. What is noteworthy however is the lack of leadership on the problem of crime. All other things being equal crime is the wrench in the cogs. If people aren't secure in their persons or property little else matters.

Our leaders, over the decades, have made crime business, a national resource, and so have encouraged the growth of all sorts of crime. When a criminal can accurately calculate the time he will spend in prison if caught before he commits the crime, we have a big problem. Bigger still if he is allowed to freely continue his criminal activity while incarcerated.

Yes.

My previous Rep, who I spoke to regularly, was an independent thinker with good instincts for what is right and what is wrong. We didn't agree on some issues, and told each other so. But, he always came from a well thought-out position. One could never take him as a frivolous dilettante trying to punch a career ticket. He went back to his law practice after several terms.
His successor who won the subsequent election has indications of also being independent and 'his own man', not beholden to party or personality. Time will tell about him, though. So far, not bad.

Now, my district has recently been re-figured following the census. The new guy for this district is an elected rep in, I think, his third term. He is undergoing a primary now. His stated positions on abortion and guns and the 2020 election are not my positions. And I have told him such in an email. And recommended alternative views for him to consider.

Having said that, his primary challenger is........worse.
Much worse.

So we'll see how it shakes out.

ps...... I am satisfied with my two Senators. One I have known for many years, decades. And I'm quite comfortable there. The other I do not know, nor have ever met. But at this point, I do not have complaints that I would articulate on unless and until I looked into his record more thoroughly.

"Our leaders, over the decades, have made crime business, a national resource, and so have encouraged the growth of all sorts of crime."

'Our leaders have made crime a ...national resource'????

Just what does the poster have in mind with a statement like that?
Can he flesh out his assertion with some details that offer credence to his thinking?

And, importantly, what response has he received when he has individually spoken to or communicated with his Rep or his two Senators. What view did they offer him in those communications?

As a young inexperienced voter I had no way of knowing if my local, state, or federal representatives were making good decisions on my behalf. Now that I'm older, and can see the results of decades of legislation, I can say that it's a mixed bag of good, bad, and indecision on the part of them. What is noteworthy however is the lack of leadership on the problem of crime. All other things being equal crime is the wrench in the cogs. If people aren't secure in their persons or property little else matters.

Our leaders, over the decades, have made crime business, a national resource, and so have encouraged the growth of all sorts of crime. When a criminal can accurately calculate the time he will spend in prison if caught before he commits the crime, we have a big problem. Bigger still if he is allowed to freely continue his criminal activity while incarcerated.
I don't think the problem with crime in the US is because the US lacks enforcement of it. In fact Incarceration Rates by Country 2022

I think the problem is perspective. Or rather the lack of it. This has to do with the old adage "if it bleeds it leads".

The US doesn't have a crime problem it has an overexposure of crime by the media problem. Creating a sense of insecurity not really supported by facts.

I live in Florida, DeSantas is awesome. He's providing national leadership as a governor, he's amazing. In general though, no, politicians suck and they vote almost always by party lines, no leadership in that

Has the poster above, Harry Dresden, communicated individually with his Rep or his two Senators about his apparent unhappiness?
What response has he received when speaking to those folks or emailing them?
when someone besides the rep answers your letter with the same letter that someone else got ....whats the point?....i go by what they do,not what they say.....and they dont do much....

Leadership is a meaningless term when applied to legislators. The only relevant factors are how they vote and how much money they can raise from donors.

when someone besides the rep answers your letter with the same letter that someone else got ....whats the point?....i go by what they do,not what they say.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well then, I question your persistence and perseverance. You seemingly are too easily discouraged. And thus think that venting anonymously and using a fake name on an internet chatroom is a worthy substitute for being an engaged citizen.

I suggest there is a more responsible path.

IMHO

Leadership is a meaningless term when applied to legislators. The only relevant factors are how they vote and how much money they can raise from donors.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, for me.......the above sentiment is mostly nonsense. Sure, it may apply to one particular Rep or Senator on one issue or another. But, by and large, those Reps that I have known or worked with over the decades have been responsible people who were trying to do serve their constituents and do the right thing by their sense of values.

Also, personally, for me.....those folks who constantly whine about Washington DC, about Congress, about particular legislators.....are, by and large, inexperienced with working with any of them.
It is easier for them to whine about representation than it is to actually put their shoulder to the wheel and become engaged with that representation.

Whining anonymously is an easy way out. An easy keyboard enema. So to speak.

'Our leaders have made crime a ...national resource'????

Just what does the poster have in mind with a statement like that?
Can he flesh out his assertion with some details that offer credence to his thinking?
Abolishing the death penalty, minimal sentencing, endless appeals, ineffective law enforcement, lack of oversight generally.
And, importantly, what response has he received when he has individually spoken to or communicated with his Rep or his two Senators. What view did they offer him in those communications?
I get form letters mailed out by staff, or no response at all.

I live in Florida, DeSantas is awesome. He's providing national leadership as a governor, he's amazing. In general though, no, politicians suck and they vote almost always by party lines, no leadership in that
I like DeSantis. He should run for president. :)

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
We don't elect leaders anymore because we don't want leaders. We want followers. Figureheads who will snap to attention whenever we crack the whip. It makes us feel powerful and special.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well then, I question your persistence and perseverance. You seemingly are too easily discouraged. And thus think that venting anonymously and using a fake name on an internet chatroom is a worthy substitute for being an engaged citizen.

I suggest there is a more responsible path.

IMHO
my humble opinion is....you trust those assholes to do what they say they will do.....i dont trust anyone of them....at all....and like you dont use a fake name?...

Personally, for me.......the above sentiment is mostly nonsense. Sure, it may apply to one particular Rep or Senator on one issue or another. But, by and large, those Reps that I have known or worked with over the decades have been responsible people who were trying to do serve their constituents and do the right thing by their sense of values.

Also, personally, for me.....those folks who constantly whine about Washington DC, about Congress, about particular legislators.....are, by and large, inexperienced with working with any of them.
It is easier for them to whine about representation than it is to actually put their shoulder to the wheel and become engaged with that representation.

they sure stuck a flag in your ass.....

Thank you, Mr. Redundant. Other than voting and asking for money, what "services" do they provide to their constituents? Is that why you vote for them?

P.S. The potty talk is a nice touch. Are you a Democrat, by any chance?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back