Have a tattoo? Not allowed to the restaurant

Lots of people have tattoos nowadays. Next it will be anyone with sleeves.
I like tattoos but not face ones and extreme piercings are way too freaky. (imo)

I don't mind them on men. In fact, sometimes they can be kind of hot, but I don't care for them on women unless they are small and inconspicuous. Women with sleeves? I think it just looks very masculine.
>>>>

They are almost always hot on men lol.
Sleeves are too much tattoo for me. Ive only seen 2 females with what might be considered sleeves. One was a total skeezer and one was a drop dead beautiful red head....totally depends on the person.
For me its only a light and wispy one
I admire the talent...many people that tattoo are incredible artists.

Their loss. Now no one I know with ANY tattoos will eat there. This works both ways. They lose business for banning someone with art on his body...fuck em.

I don't think it's appropriate to deny service to someone because of ink they may have on their body.
Such a new kind of discrimination
Tattoos = free speech.
You do not have the right to free speech on someone elses property.- if that someone does not like what you say or the way you say it, they do not have to let you in.

Lots of people have tattoos nowadays. Next it will be anyone with sleeves.
I like tattoos but not face ones and extreme piercings are way too freaky. (imo)

I don't mind them on men. In fact, sometimes they can be kind of hot, but I don't care for them on women unless they are small and inconspicuous. Women with sleeves? I think it just looks very masculine.
>>>>

They are almost always hot on men lol.
Sleeves are too much tattoo for me. Ive only seen 2 females with what might be considered sleeves. One was a total skeezer and one was a drop dead beautiful red head....totally depends on the person.
For me its only a light and wispy one
I admire the talent...many people that tattoo are incredible artists.

Oh definitely. I've seen some great artwork in tattoos. I don't have any though. Just not for me. I thought about once getting a sentimental one, but then decided against it. :)

There are lots of urban retail businesses banning hoodies now. I heard on CNN a couple of weeks ago about one of the convenience store chains banning hoodies in some big city.

On Monday morning, March 9, 2014, I noticed a sign posted on the entrance to Phish Heads Restaurant in Lake City, Florida. The sign read:

NO HOODIES
NO BAGGY PANTS
REMOVE SUN GLASSES
NO CONCEALED WEAPONS

I will be going to Future Fitness gym tomorrow and Phish Heads is just a few doors down from the gym. I'll check to see if the sign is still there. If it is, I will talk to the manager. I will keep you posted.

I checked this morning and the sign was still there. The manager was not available so I left a message with the hostess. I told her that some people might find the sign to be racially discriminatory and suggested that the manager should check with his attorney. Now I'm done with the matter.

There are lots of urban retail businesses banning hoodies now. I heard on CNN a couple of weeks ago about one of the convenience store chains banning hoodies in some big city.

On Monday morning, March 9, 2014, I noticed a sign posted on the entrance to Phish Heads Restaurant in Lake City, Florida. The sign read:

NO HOODIES
NO BAGGY PANTS
REMOVE SUN GLASSES
NO CONCEALED WEAPONS

I will be going to Future Fitness gym tomorrow and Phish Heads is just a few doors down from the gym. I'll check to see if the sign is still there. If it is, I will talk to the manager. I will keep you posted.

I checked this morning and the sign was still there. The manager was not available so I left a message with the hostess. I told her that some people might find the sign to be racially discriminatory and suggested that the manager should check with his attorney. Now I'm done with the matter.

How is the sign racially discriminatory? All races wear Hoodies, I have a hoodie, I have sunglasses, all though I don't have baggy pants, my nephew wears pants that hang way down, weapons, I think all races are able to get concealed weapons permits.

There's no racial discrimination involved, by any stretch of the imagination..

NO HOODIES
NO BAGGY PANTS
REMOVE SUN GLASSES
NO CONCEALED WEAPONS

That is ridiculous. A restaurant can indeed have a dress code.

NO HOODIES
NO BAGGY PANTS
REMOVE SUN GLASSES
NO CONCEALED WEAPONS

How is the sign racially discriminatory? All races wear Hoodies, I have a hoodie, I have sunglasses, all though I don't have baggy pants, my nephew wears pants that hang way down, weapons, I think all races are able to get concealed weapons permits.

It doesn't matter that all races wear hoodies. If a disproportionatly high number of Blacks wear hoodies, there is a basis for a discrimination suit.

Last edited:
I never said the sign was discriminatory. What I said was that some people might view it as discriminatory and that, ladies and gentlemen, is a fact. What will ultimately matter is how the EEOC views it. I really, don't know how they would rule, and neither do the rest of you.

I have filed dozens of discrimination complaints in my lifetime, some even before I become an attorney (you don't have to be a lawyer to represent someone before the EEOC). I am familiar with the law and, more importantly, how the EEOC applies the laws. There are many cases which have been filed rather recently that I never would have dreamed possible fifty years ago. Today, it is possible for an employer to lose a discrimination suit even though he always treated everyone the same in all regards without consideration of race. A long time ago, discrimination was proved by showing disparate treatment, meaning that an employer treated an applicant or employee differently because of race. Then along came something called disparate impact which made it illegal for an employee to adopt a policy which – although race neutral on its face – affected a disproportionately larger number of minorities.

All of you know that at one time an employer could require a college degree as a requirement for employment. Of course, this condition applied to all applicants so it was race neutral. However, the EEOC ruled that the requirement was generally illegal because a disproportionate number of Blacks did not have a college degree.

You should know that the Obama Administration was pushing for a law to restrict the use of criminal records in determining qualification for employment. Actually, no such law was needed because the EEOC already makes any type of disparate impact illegal. In 1989, the EEOC argued that Francisco Rios, a Hispanic male, was discriminated against because the trucking company he worked for had a prohibition against hiring drivers who were convicted of a felony and a disproportionate number of Hispanics had felony convictions. According to the Court's decision:

“The second claim asserted by the EEOC is that Carolina Freight violated section 703(a)(1) of Title VII, 42 U.S.C. § 2000e-2(a)(1), by maintaining a discriminatory employment practice. Specifically, the EEOC contends the defendant's policy which bars applicants for employment with a felony, theft, or larceny conviction resulting in an active prison sentence has a disparate impact upon Hispanics.”

"Section 703(a)(1) provides: "It shall be an unlawful employment practice for an employer ... to fail or refuse to hire or to discharge any individual ... because of such individual's ... national origin." The objective of Title VII is to assure "equality of employment opportunities" for all individuals and to remove barriers which discriminate against protected classes or freeze existing inequalities. See Griggs v. Duke Power Co., 401 U.S. 424, 429-30, 91 S.Ct. 849, 852-53, 28 L.Ed.2d 158 (1971). Although it is undisputed that Carolina Freight's conviction policy is facially neutral, the claim of disparate impact reaches those "practices that are fair in form, but discriminatory in operation." Id. at 431, 91 S.Ct. at 853.”

E.E.O.C. v. CAROLINA FREIGHT CARRIERS CORP. Leagle.com.

There are many business across the country that have either published or are considering publishing rules that prohibit customers from wearing hoodies. Even some governments – local and state – are at least considering such laws. However, there are some people who consider this policy to have a disparate impact against Blacks. Will a lawsuit be filed? I don't know, but it is at least possible.

Conclusion: We live in a litigious society, and attorneys are looking for possible lawsuits, especially class action suits. The EEOC has been aggressive in looking for signs of discrimination and employers should be on guard. Everything I have read convinces me that a greater percentage of the Black population wears hoodies compared to Whites. This provides a basis for claiming discrimination when rules against hoodies are enforced for no compelling business reason.

If I were a restaurant owner, I would not prohibit hoddies. First, there is the danger of a discrimination suit. Second, I am reasonable certain that some of my Black customers will be offended by the racial implication (if you check the Internet you will find that many Black people think this way). The third reason is purely practical; the rule makes no sense. If someone comes into my restaurant to eat a meal I don't think he is going to rob me whether he is wearing a hoodie or not. Criminals don't like to stick around; they do what they have to do and get the hell out of there. If someone comes in to rob me, he will not give a damn about the sign that says “NO HOODIES.”

The third reason I gave is one you should remember. If someone brings a lawsuit based upon disparate impact and the restaurant attempts to articulate a legitimate business reason for the rule based upon security concerns (such as robbery prevention), some attorney is going to blow that theory out of the water using the same rationale that I have used.

Now I am done with this issue. I will give the rest of you the last word.

Good night.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back