Hate Crime

It's a stupid, irrational law.

Example:

Thug beats up some guy gets 2 years in prison

Thug beats up some gay guy gets 2 years + whatever for a 'hate' crime.

Is either victim less beaten up? No.

Is either victims 'special'? No.

The law is ridiculous and panders to 'special interest' groups. I disapprove of any pandering to any group.

The Hate Crime charge would ONLY be applied IF: The thug was heard or seen to have targeted the gay guy strictly for his gaynes....AND: that would have to be proved in court.

Just like PREMEDITATED murder has to be proven...that too is a "thought crime".

If the straight white male is killed for no other reason than he is a straight white man that is a hate crime. It's amazing to me that people who consider themselves free of bias, have a problem with hate crime law.

But, he gets no special consideration, because he is a straight white male.

Only special people are entitled to special treatment.

Also, I have a problem whenever arrogant people think that they have more rights than everyone else.

Immie

You have a problem with me, Immie, because I am passionately committed to seeing hate crime prosecuted.

You don't understand the historical context. Do you know it was once LEGAL to rape black women?

I have no problem with you.

I disagree with your point of view and I am discussing it with you.

The last time I checked this was a political chat board and I have always come here to speak my mind and to learn from others.

Nope, no problem here.

Does the fact that it was once legal to rape back women have anything to do with this discussion? How about the fact that it was once legal to hold black people as slaves?

Immie

Last edited:
Guy says he hates being married and kills his wife, hate crime?

But, he gets no special consideration, because he is a straight white male.

Only special people are entitled to special treatment.

Also, I have a problem whenever arrogant people think that they have more rights than everyone else.

Immie

You have a problem with me, Immie, because I am passionately committed to seeing hate crime prosecuted.

You don't understand the historical context. Do you know it was once LEGAL to rape black women?

The last time I checked this was a political chat board and I have always come here to speak my mind and to learn from others.

Nope, no problem here.

Does the fact that it was once legal to rape back women have anything to do with this discussion? How about the fact that it was once legal to hold black people as slaves?

Immie
If you have no idea why it is relevant that it was once LEGAL to rape black women I can't help you. Truth is, police used to turn their heads when gay men were targeted by hate crime.

Last edited:

Nope, no problem here.

Immie
If you have no idea why it is relevant that it was once LEGAL to rape black women I can't help you.

How does it apply to this discussion? It doesn't. You are talking out of your rear end.

Immie

Has hate crime legistlation detered any crime? Probably not. Its just legislation to court to certain groups so that legislators can say "see we are doing something".

Another caring individual with no bias.

The purpose of these laws was to reduce crime against those who can not protect themselves. Has it worked? Can you provide any proof that hate crimes legislation has helped to stop crime.

Two white teenagers in Mississippi are looking for a black man to assault. They run over James Anderson, he later dies in the hospital.

This is a hate crime.

Is James Anderson more or less dead because they 'hate' him?

Would I be more or less dead than James if someone murdered me?

Equality is what is important, not special victims.

The topic came up on another thread. Some people are opposed to there being a special category for bias motivated crimes.

I support hate crime legislation. What are your views?
blacks commit violent crimes against whites at 80 times the rate that whites commit violent crimes against blacks...where is the outcry!!!

Dude, if you're going to post crap like that, have the sense to back it up with proof. Just posting shit with a number on it doesn't mean anything.

99% of racists are dumb asses with IQs less than 70! Where's the outcry?

See?

Has hate crime legistlation detered any crime? Probably not. Its just legislation to court to certain groups so that legislators can say "see we are doing something".

Another caring individual with no bias.

I often find you to be quite condescending towards people who challenge your opinions, Sky.

If people want to be treated equally, then we must have equal treatment under the law. I passionately believe in equal treatment under the law. That means that all victims of crime should be treated as equally important. You are not special. I am not either. No one is. At least, they shouldn't be - under the law.

Why the hell some people think crimes against them are more important than crimes against others is beyond me.

I actually think that the 'hate crime' laws sends the wrong message to the country. It singles out people for special treatment - and that can cause resentment from others. Personally, I think it is ridiculous to single people out for special treatment.

I actually think that the 'hate crime' laws sends the wrong message to the country. It singles out people for special treatment - and that can cause resentment from others. Personally, I think it is ridiculous to single people out for special treatment.

And much like Affirmative Action it may actually breed more hatred simply because it exists and the special favors under the law that hate crime laws are perceived to be granting.

Immie

In order for laws to be righteous, they must be applied equally and fairly to all people. Hate crimes have become a bargaining tool for the prosecuters when it comes to plea deals. The more crimes they can charge you with the less the prosecuter has to work.

Think about it...A white male walks into a 7-11 and holds up the store, he kills the clerk in the robbery, who happens to be gay. How many crimes do you figure the criminal is charged with?

1) Larceny 2) larceny with the use of a firearm 3) Hate crime because the clerk was gay 4) computer crime because the criminal looked up the location of the 7-11 on line 5) resisting arrest because he tried to escape from the police. So on and so on and so on.

Now the prosecuter says I'll drop everything but the hate crime if you plead guilty? The criminal is overwhelmed and agrees. Prosecuter get his conviction and does not have to actually do any work. The problem with this type of deal is that innocent people end up in prison because they don't want to risk a lengthy jail stay. This is not justice.

And much like Affirmative Action it may actually breed more hatred simply because it exists and the special favors under the law that hate crime laws are perceived to be granting.

Immie

Indeed. While I can absolutely understand those who feel Affirmative Action is a good thing, it is not. It actually adds fuel to those who are racist, likewise with the hate crime laws. As I've said before emotive laws are always bad.

Forum List

Back