Hate Crime

If you can't see a difference between someone vandalizing a synagogue with the words "John loves Mary" and swastikas with "GET THE FUCK OUT JEWS" I can't help you.

One is a less serious crime than the other. Both involve vandalism.

If the kind of world you want to live in involves being able to get away with intimidating minority groups, so be it. It's not mine, and luckily, the American public agree. It's the law now.

Isn't that why there is trial and a sentencing phase. Yes, both involve vandalism. One might get probation and 500 hours community service at the Synagogue. There other might be a year in prison with 5 years probation.

One is a bias crime, a 'message crime' and the other is simple vandalism. I'm sorry you can't seem to tell the difference. One involves threat and intimidation, violent crime, vs simple vandalism.

Without a hate crime law, hate crime will not be reported. Without rape law, rape is not reported, and even now, it is still underreported.

You guys don't get it. That's fine. I hope none of you are ever so "special" as to be singled out for a bias motivated crime.

I am thinking of the fear that is engendered by blacks when some black is "lynched". Hate crime is "message crime". The message is, "YOUR KIND IS NOT WANTED. GET THE FUCK OUT".

I haven't been singled out for a "bias motivated crime" since high school, but no doubt people still hate. The difference here is that we shouldn't make laws that give special protections for some people based on race, gender, religion or some other "special difference". That violates the 14th Amendment Equal Protection clause.

If a person is lynched, shouldn't the criminals go to prison for premeditated murder of a human being? If a person is beat up or raped, shouldn't the perpetrators be tried and sentenced for that crime regardless of the specific person who was the victim?

It's biased for you to think that it's okay to let a criminal receive a lesser sentence because, even though I was beat up and required six months of recovery, since I wasn't gay or black, then it wasn't a "hate crime". Sorry, but all Americans deserve equal treatment under the law. This "special rules for special people" crap has to stop.
You don't get it. Congress, the Supreme Court and the President do.

Without a hate crime law, hate crime will not be reported. Without rape law, rape is not reported, and even now, it is still underreported.

You guys don't get it. That's fine. I hope none of you are ever so "special" as to be singled out for a bias motivated crime.

I am thinking of the fear that is engendered by blacks when some black is "lynched". Hate crime is "message crime". The message is, "YOUR KIND IS NOT WANTED. GET THE FUCK OUT".

I haven't been singled out for a "bias motivated crime" since high school, but no doubt people still hate. The difference here is that we shouldn't make laws that give special protections for some people based on race, gender, religion or some other "special difference". That violates the 14th Amendment Equal Protection clause.

If a person is lynched, shouldn't the criminals go to prison for premeditated murder of a human being? If a person is beat up or raped, shouldn't the perpetrators be tried and sentenced for that crime regardless of the specific person who was the victim?

It's biased for you to think that it's okay to let a criminal receive a lesser sentence because, even though I was beat up and required six months of recovery, since I wasn't gay or black, then it wasn't a "hate crime". Sorry, but all Americans deserve equal treatment under the law. This "special rules for special people" crap has to stop.

Of course, none of them have any ulterior motives or anything like that......:cuckoo:

Of course, none of them have any ulterior motives or anything like that......:cuckoo:

I point out that all three branches of our government have supported hate crime law. The USMB right wing is out of step with the rest of the country.

MOTIVE is and has always been one of the factors that are important in determining the nature of a crime.

Ergo we have ALWAYS really recognized that HATE CRIMES and different than crimes motivated by other passions.

Myth: All crimes are about hate. Hate crime law is redundant and unnecessary.

Fact: What we unfortunately label "hate crime" is bias crime. Without this law, bias crime goes unreported and perpetrators go free.

Myth: A murder is a murder. A murder committed out of bias is no different than any other murder.

Fact: Not all murders are treated equally under the law. The difference between 1st and 2nd degree murder is intent. The intent in a hate crime murder is more serious than an ordinary murder because the intent is to terrorize an entire community.

Myth: Bias crime laws favor the agenda of "special interest" groups.

Fact: The law protects EVERYONE equally. Bias crime law sends the message that it is not acceptable to victimize ANYONE on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, national origin, gender or sexual orientation.

Then what are you worried about? Why all the hair pulling, ranting and raving?

Go back to the OP and you will see why I started the thread. The ones who are pulling hair and ranting and raving are the anti-hate crime fanatics, not me.

Disagreed. You asked for thoughts and you got them in spades yet most of the emoting on this forum seems to be coming from you. I'm just disappointed that people continued to think some people deserve better treatment than others in the eyes of the law. It violates the entire concept of our Constitution.

Many of your statements are not only heavier in emotion than fact, but some are downright incorrect as previously noted:
You deny that hate crime exists.
You are against minorities being protected from hate crime, IDIOT. My friends ask me why I bother talking to any of you. They know I won't get through. You're hopeless.
The murder of Mulugeta Seraw was one of the most shocking crimes in Portland history. In response, hundreds of people turned out for rallies against racism.

I have provided example, after example, after example of hate crime and still, you folks deny it exists, and that the law is needed.

The three skinheads who murdered Seraw have all been released from prison.

NO ONE is saying criminals should be allowed to go free. What many, including myself, are saying is that we all deserve equal protection under the law according to the Constitution of the United States, not just some of us.

You're wrong. Most of the emoting done on this thread has been from the anti-bias crime crowd.

And they are also the ones who say marriage is for a man and a woman. Are you saying that they are always right and always "get it"?

So someone that beats up somebody because they're gay should have a longer sentence than someone that beats up my wife for her purse?

Got it.

So someone that beats up somebody because they're gay should have a longer sentence than someone that beats up my wife for her purse?

Got it.

That's about the size of it.

Personally i am pissed as hell...i want them all to serve that extra time in jail for the crimes they commit. Why should some be getting off easy and or getting a lighter sentence?

Crime is crime...and it all should carry the same MAXIMUM sentence.

I point out that all three branches of our government have supported hate crime law. The USMB right wing is out of step with the rest of the country.

The government wants the power of being the thought police and you're following lock step.

What happens if a gay person kills a heterosexual person in a state where the death penalty is legal? Do they put the gay person to death twice because it was a hate crime? .......:cuckoo:

MOTIVE is and has always been one of the factors that are important in determining the nature of a crime.

Ergo we have ALWAYS really recognized that HATE CRIMES and different than crimes motivated by other passions.

But it has not been relevant in sentencing.... until 'hate' became a criminal offence.

And they are also the ones who say marriage is for a man and a woman. Are you saying that they are always right and always "get it"?

Oops.

Myth: All crimes are about hate. Hate crime law is redundant and unnecessary.

Fact: What we unfortunately label "hate crime" is bias crime. Without this law, bias crime goes unreported and perpetrators go free.

Myth: A murder is a murder. A murder committed out of bias is no different than any other murder.

Fact: Not all murders are treated equally under the law. The difference between 1st and 2nd degree murder is intent. The intent in a hate crime murder is more serious than an ordinary murder because the intent is to terrorize an entire community.

Myth: Bias crime laws favor the agenda of "special interest" groups.

Fact: The law protects EVERYONE equally. Bias crime law sends the message that it is not acceptable to victimize ANYONE on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, national origin, gender or sexual orientation.

Those are not facts. Those are opinion.

Immie

Forum List

Back