Hate and Nuts in America

Why are so many Americans batshit crazy? Today more than ever? Recently I saw a coming attraction for a show about Americans preparing for Armageddon, survivalists and other nutcases who think the end is near. Remember the Pastor who preached the end was upon us and then it was behind us. So what can we make of the hate groups and militia groups forming all the time? What can this fear and blind stupidity be attributed to? Is our education system so bad that reasoned thought has become obsolete? Is the influence of the oddball religious so strong that any nonsense attracts followers? Are all these nuts home-schooled by other nuts? Is radical rightwing media the cause? And then consider all the conspiracy crazies? How much of this growth in craziness can be attributed to the changing demographics and the 2008 presidential election?
Your last sentence is the primary cause.

Although an ‘immigrant Nation,’ the United States for the bulk of its history realized immigration mostly from Europe, where differences were minor and superficial; newcomers from Europe could easily and quickly assimilate, usually within a generation, without losing much of their cultural identity.

During this period African Americans existed as second-class citizens, made invisible by slavery, Jim Crow, and segregation, denied access to education and political participation, they were not perceived as a ‘threat.’

Other racial minorities were likewise sequestered away in their ghettoes of the big cities of the East and West, and in the case of Hispanic Americans, small rural communities throughout the desert Southwest.

It was during the Civil Rights Era, when America’s racial minorities were finally given a voice and allowed to participate in the political process, that we begin to see resistance to the long overdue acknowledgement of all Americans’ Constitutional rights.

The source of the conflict arises from an incorrect perception on the part of the ‘majority culture’ that minority communities wish to ‘remain separate’ and reject ‘American values’ and ‘culture’ – this is particularly evident with regard to language, where the speaking of a language other than English is perceived as ‘hostile’ and ‘un-American.’

In the case of various hate groups, there manifested a paranoid delusion that America was being ‘taken over’ by racial and ethnic minorities who not only refused to ‘become American,’ but exhibited a blatant disregard and disrespect for the ‘majority culture.’

Frustrated by their inability to advance their agenda of ignorance and hate at the ballot box and in the courts, some have taken to violence as their only ‘recourse.’

Needless to say those advocating violence are a tiny minority; but we nonetheless see a significantly larger number of conservatives and others on the right who harbor the same resentment, hatred, and ignorance.

Yes being prepared and self sufficient is crazy.

Why on earth would you want to be prepared and self sufficient when the government can take care of you?

When your dropping $100,000 for a bomb shelter, youre fucking crazy. In other words, its the over the top way you "prepare" that makes you crazy. We arent talking about a couple bottles of water jackass. :lol:

Why on earth would you want to be prepared and self sufficient when the government can take care of you?

There is nothing wrong with planning and preparation. The question that has to be asked is, on a scale of 1 to 10, how ridiculous is predicted event that's being planned for?

Planning for some events make you look smart; other events, not so much.

The plan for one is pretty much the plan for them all.

Food water shelter personal protection.

The only thing left to be satisfied with is motive and attitude and I assume from your confidence that you sleep just fine.

:thup:

Maybe the Democrats should stop ramming their beliefs down the rest of America's throats? Just an idea.

:wtf:

EVERY political organization is going to ram their beliefs down the throat of America - that's what they DO.
Nonsense.

I know a fair amount of people who are a part of these reputed "hate groups"...Every one that I know is a completely peaceful individual, who wants nothing more than to be left alone...They're outraged and disgusted with things like the FEMA, DHS, TSA, USAPATRIOT Act, the DEA and idiotic "war" on (some) drugs, the Kelo decision, random roadside vehicle searches (which happen with alarming regularity in Utah), etcetera.

These are not people wishing to ram any belief down anyone's throat.

Any political organization that doesn't promote its agenda is worthless as a political organization. You know what I meant and you're nit-picking for what I have to assume are partisan motives.

:eusa_hand: Pass!

When your dropping $100,000 for a bomb shelter, youre fucking crazy. In other words, its the over the top way you "prepare" that makes you crazy. We arent talking about a couple bottles of water jackass. :lol:

Yeah people thought I was crazy for installing a whole house generator and burying a 500 gallon propane tank in my yard that is until they all lost power for 2 weeks during the last big storm and my house was lit up like a Christmas tree and I was taking hot showers.

So the next time your power goes out and all the food in your fridge goes bad and you smell like a goat because you have no hot water you can tell me who the fucking Jackass is.

Last edited:
Really? Give me an example of the GOP trying to force religions to go against their doctrine? Tell me when they've told Americans they must BUY a product simply because they were born? Give me a quote from Bush calling liberals 'our enemy'. Sorry, Ave... I have a lot of respect for you but this Administration is driving me to support the GOP. And, frankly, I loathe them for that.

Can you honestly say that in your opinion the GOP doesn't have a political agenda that they're pushing?

Really?!?

Anything about taxation coming to mind? Religion? Medical procedures they'd like to impose their own strict standards on? Marriage choices that they'd like to see eliminated nationally?

Like I said... EVERY political organization has an agenda to push. It's the purpose of their existence.

I have no issue with political agendas. I dislike both sides lying about the other purely for point scoring. I used to find Obama tolerable... I didn't agree with him, but I'd certainly have had a beer with the guy. Now.... no. I think he's a disgraceful politician, and a disgusting human being. Anyone who calls me the 'enemy' just because I disagree with how to solve our problems does not deserve my respect and certainly does not deserve the honor of being my President. He can be your President.... but he is not mine. Fuck him. "May his days in office be few, and let another take his place."

You're right. Opposing political views should be discussed over beers or coffee, not over weapons on the field of battle. And personal insults like 'Enemy', aimed personally or politically, are wasting precious discussion time. The Flame Zone is a terrible place for a relevant political discussion to die. Happens far too often. :(

There is nothing wrong with planning and preparation. The question that has to be asked is, on a scale of 1 to 10, how ridiculous is predicted event that's being planned for?

Planning for some events make you look smart; other events, not so much.

Personally, it's been a lifestyle choice and has nothing to do with predictions of future events. I know a lot of Alaskans who feel the same way.

That sounds like all the right reasons. And by that I mean 'correct' reasons - nothing political.

:wtf:

EVERY political organization is going to ram their beliefs down the throat of America - that's what they DO.
Nonsense.

I know a fair amount of people who are a part of these reputed "hate groups"...Every one that I know is a completely peaceful individual, who wants nothing more than to be left alone...They're outraged and disgusted with things like the FEMA, DHS, TSA, USAPATRIOT Act, the DEA and idiotic "war" on (some) drugs, the Kelo decision, random roadside vehicle searches (which happen with alarming regularity in Utah), etcetera.

These are not people wishing to ram any belief down anyone's throat.

Any political organization that doesn't promote its agenda is worthless as a political organization. You know what I meant and you're nit-picking for what I have to assume are partisan motives.

:eusa_hand: Pass!
I'm nitpicking nothing...Political organizations don't always have to be seeking political power for themselves as an agenda....In fact, the people involved in the loose local organizations I alluded to, look upon the kind of power it takes to force those political agendas upon others as sheer despotism.

There's a reason that Big Sis Nappy has put such "sovereign citizen" and "militia" associations on the DHS list of possible "terrorists".

Why are so many Americans batshit crazy? Today more than ever? Recently I saw a coming attraction for a show about Americans preparing for Armageddon, survivalists and other nutcases who think the end is near. Remember the Pastor who preached the end was upon us and then it was behind us. So what can we make of the hate groups and militia groups forming all the time? What can this fear and blind stupidity be attributed to? Is our education system so bad that reasoned thought has become obsolete? Is the influence of the oddball religious so strong that any nonsense attracts followers? Are all these nuts home-schooled by other nuts? Is radical rightwing media the cause? And then consider all the conspiracy crazies? How much of this growth in craziness can be attributed to the changing demographics and the 2008 presidential election?
Your last sentence is the primary cause.

Although an ‘immigrant Nation,’ the United States for the bulk of its history realized immigration mostly from Europe, where differences were minor and superficial; newcomers from Europe could easily and quickly assimilate, usually within a generation, without losing much of their cultural identity.

During this period African Americans existed as second-class citizens, made invisible by slavery, Jim Crow, and segregation, denied access to education and political participation, they were not perceived as a ‘threat.’

Other racial minorities were likewise sequestered away in their ghettoes of the big cities of the East and West, and in the case of Hispanic Americans, small rural communities throughout the desert Southwest.

It was during the Civil Rights Era, when America’s racial minorities were finally given a voice and allowed to participate in the political process, that we begin to see resistance to the long overdue acknowledgement of all Americans’ Constitutional rights.

The source of the conflict arises from an incorrect perception on the part of the ‘majority culture’ that minority communities wish to ‘remain separate’ and reject ‘American values’ and ‘culture’ – this is particularly evident with regard to language, where the speaking of a language other than English is perceived as ‘hostile’ and ‘un-American.’

In the case of various hate groups, there manifested a paranoid delusion that America was being ‘taken over’ by racial and ethnic minorities who not only refused to ‘become American,’ but exhibited a blatant disregard and disrespect for the ‘majority culture.’

Frustrated by their inability to advance their agenda of ignorance and hate at the ballot box and in the courts, some have taken to violence as their only ‘recourse.’

Needless to say those advocating violence are a tiny minority; but we nonetheless see a significantly larger number of conservatives and others on the right who harbor the same resentment, hatred, and ignorance.

Of course, no one is inciting various racial and ethnic groups to violence, are they? No one, especially in this administration, is fostering and emphasizing the division of Americans in so many ways, black-against-white, hispanic-against-black, poor-against-rich, conservatives-against-liberals, and so on. Nah, that certainly hasn't been happening.

Move along, nothing to see here...

"The swelling of the Patriot movement since that time has been astounding. From 149 groups in 2008, the number of Patriot organizations skyrocketed to 512 in 2009, shot up again in 2010 to 824, and then, last year, jumped to 1,274. That works out to a staggering 755% growth in the three years ending last Dec. 31. Last year’s total was more than 400 groups higher than the prior all-time high, in 1996.

Meanwhile, the SPLC counted 1,018 hate groups operating in the United States last year, up from 1,002 in 2010. That was the latest in a string of annual increases going all the way back to 2000, when there were 602 hate groups. The long-running rise seemed for most of that time to be a product of hate groups’ very successful exploitation of the issue of non-white immigration. Obama’s election and the crashing economy have played a key role in the last three years." Report documents explosive growth of hate groups in America | San Diego Gay and Lesbian News

Number of Hate Groups Up 5 Percent From Last Year | Southern Poverty Law Center

Mark Potok discusses the causes for the growth of hate groups in America - Countdown with Keith Olbermann // Current TV

Number of Antigay Hate Groups Rises 60 Percent | News | The Advocate

The SPLC is in fact a hate group

"The swelling of the Patriot movement since that time has been astounding. From 149 groups in 2008, the number of Patriot organizations skyrocketed to 512 in 2009, shot up again in 2010 to 824, and then, last year, jumped to 1,274. That works out to a staggering 755% growth in the three years ending last Dec. 31. Last year’s total was more than 400 groups higher than the prior all-time high, in 1996.

Meanwhile, the SPLC counted 1,018 hate groups operating in the United States last year, up from 1,002 in 2010. That was the latest in a string of annual increases going all the way back to 2000, when there were 602 hate groups. The long-running rise seemed for most of that time to be a product of hate groups’ very successful exploitation of the issue of non-white immigration. Obama’s election and the crashing economy have played a key role in the last three years." Report documents explosive growth of hate groups in America | San Diego Gay and Lesbian News

Number of Hate Groups Up 5 Percent From Last Year | Southern Poverty Law Center

Mark Potok discusses the causes for the growth of hate groups in America - Countdown with Keith Olbermann // Current TV

Number of Antigay Hate Groups Rises 60 Percent | News | The Advocate

Why does anyone take the SPLC seriously anymore?

I wonder about the left wing mentality that assumes law abiding citizens who want to protect themselves in the event of any catastrophe are "hate groups". What do we call real hate groups like the OWS who violate the law every day? Bill Ayers was a leader of one of the most violent hate groups of the 60's and 70's and today he is a political adviser to the president.

What ever happened to Obama's strange promise to his anarchist left wing to create a civilian army as well trained as the US Military? Thank God it was just a left wing campaign slogan or maybe it's Barry's hedge against losing the election.

Forum List

Back