Has "It's the Culture, Stupid" replaced "It's the Economy, Stupid"?

The problem is that their media -- particularly the legacy of Limbaugh and the hundreds of copycats who came after him -- magnify and amplify every last goddamn thing by a factor of a thousand. So what might have started with a reasonable, intelligent, civil disagreement that could lead to a solution is now a full on screaming match in which no one is listening.

As long as these people can't see what these opportunistic voices are doing, this won't get fixed.
And those voices get amplified through social media.

In part, it's because of social media, and the war against Main-stream Media.
Back when people got their news from Edward R. Murrow, or Walter Cronkite they were shown the "big picture", and not isolated instances.
When an illegal alien commits a crime anywhere, it gets tik-tok'd, facebook'd, X'd etc. until it looks like a national crime wave.
For libs the unnecessary and preventable death of innocent Americans by illegal aliens/fake asylum seekers is a small price to pay for the browning of America

But only MAGAs care about what happens to the children and grandchildren after they are gone
Actually just the opposite. MAGA's don't believe in climate change, and would rather "drill baby drill" a short term solution, there children will have to pay for.

What about Obama is a secret Kenyan born Muslim is a legitimate or reasonable disagreement?
This is why Kellyann Conway had to come up with "Alternative FACTS" To make reasonable discussions impossible.
As the saying goes. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

Fareed Zakaria has a new book out that proposes a fundamental change in Americans' priorities, and (I don't know if he meant to do this) also goes a long way in explaining the rise and staying power of the MAGA movement.

In short, he believes that the cultural issues -- particularly (a) immigration/the border and (b) gender, are now more primary political movers than the economy used to be.

He also uses a very important term to describe this: "Backlash". I couldn't agree more, and I think it's key. I spent my first few years on this board concentrating on the tactics of the Left and how they'd create a -- wait for it -- backlash, and sure as hell, here we are.

I hadn't really thought about how the cultural issues have replaced the economy as #1, but I think he may be right.

Unfettered illegal immigration is an economic issue, and a safety issue. Economic due to the massive $$ the government seems to want to spend on them, as well as the impact on wages, especially for low income earners.

The transgender thing is probably the first "bridge to far" in the culture wars, because it requires everyone to join in their denying of reality.

For libs the unnecessary and preventable death of innocent Americans by illegal aliens/fake asylum seekers is a small price to pay for the browning of America
This is like painting a picture of illegals carrying five pound ,bags of fentanyl across the border, as opposed to most of it being smuggled in cars and trucks, through ports of entry by Americans.

Until they can change the filibuster rules in the senate, you have the same situation as when there was a supreme court vacancy Mitch McConnell refused to fill, leaving it vacant for over a year.
They can change those rules whenever they have a majority. The only time they suspended the filibuster, both the left and the right, was to raise the debt the ceiling.

Unfettered illegal immigration is an economic issue, and a safety issue. Economic due to the massive $$ the government seems to want to spend on them, as well as the impact on wages, especially for low income earners.

Actually, Immigrants are net gain for the economy, in that they produce more goods and services than they consume.

The transgender thing is probably the first "bridge to far" in the culture wars, because it requires everyone to join in their denying of reality.
All it requires is you to not be an asshole... which in your case is a bridge too far.

Actually just the opposite. MAGA's don't believe in climate change, and would rather "drill baby drill" a short term solution, there children will have to pay for.
The man-made global warming DOOMSDAY hoax that has so traumatized libs is only one of many wrong assumptions that your side is pushing

But it is a big difference of opinion between us

As I said in post 50, "Talking to them, they say things that are simply, demonstrably, factually wrong, but you can't point it out to them."

I really do try to keep this stuff simple.
You also said they had reasonable and legitimate concerns. It's those that you can't seem to provide any evidence of. We all see the evidence of their stupid quite clearly.

Actually, Immigrants are net gain for the economy, in that they produce more goods and services than they consume.

All it requires is you to not be an asshole... which in your case is a bridge too far.

Illegal immigrants in these numbers are a burden on the economy.

This coming from the biggest Religion hater on the board is comical.

They can change those rules whenever they have a majority. The only time they suspended the filibuster, both the left and the right, was to raise the debt the ceiling.
Actually the debt ceiling is a case in point. Under George W. Bush, they raised the debt ceiling 13 times, without threatening a government shutdown.

Under Obama republicans fought everything. As Mitch McConnell said, running for senate majority leader. "My job is to make Obama a one term president."

Says it all.

This is like painting a picture of illegals carrying five pound ,bags of fentanyl across the border, as opposed to most of it being smuggled in cars and trucks, through ports of entry by Americans.
You may think that shoeless migrants are entitled to carry a little smack with them to pay for their coyote, and which will kill or derange the minds of 1000 American druggies, is ok since others are doing it too

but I dont agree

Dead dinosaurs aren't an unlimited resource. They just don't make them any more.
At least be honest

Since the oil industry has proven you wrong about Peak Oil for decade after decade, your real worry is not that we are running out of oil, but that we are not running out fast enough to calm the fears of terrified greenies

Forum List

Back