Has anyone seen the 1963 television series “The lieutenant”

Mac-7

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2019
It was the brainchild of Star Trek producer Gene Roddenberry

29 episodes were made and it starred Robert Vaughn and Gary Lockwood as 2nd Lt bill rice

Lockwood was a Navel Academy graduate and wet-behind-the-ears 2nd Lt assigned to Camp Pendleton in California

Its a great series and more realistic than a straight war movie

Rice is green but really sharp as he deals with problems encountered as an infantry platoon leader

He does everything by the book, and knows the book from cover to cover

In fact he’s so good that I imagine him as the future commandant of the Marine Corps

That is except for the fact that Rice has not seen combat yet but is certain to do so in Vietnam which is just heating up prior to the Gulf of Tonkin incident

I wonder what a sequel to that show would be?

Is it about Gen Rice, or 1st Lt Rice, deceased, and a the Medal of Honor recipient?

Its a good show and I urge anyone interested in that period of American history to look it up on YouTube

It was the brainchild of Star Trek producer Gene Roddenberry 29 episodes were made and it starred Robert Vaughn and Gary Lockwood as 2nd Lt bill rice

As I recall Mac and forgive me the details, but if I remember right, shooting the series, widely considered one of the best and most cutting edge in all of TV history, depended on free use of a military base donated by the military to shoot on and there was some falling out that caused the military to rescind that use, a death-toll for the series. But the good news is that the series, staff and cast were all a preamble for Star Trek to follow--- a more devious mechanism to explore social issues of the time less obvious to the network, this time under cover of a 23rd century starship going to the stars, the safety being that now, we were exploriong these issues with "alien" races.

It was the brainchild of Star Trek producer Gene Roddenberry

29 episodes were made and it starred Robert Vaughn and Gary Lockwood as 2nd Lt bill rice

Lockwood was a Navel Academy graduate and wet-behind-the-ears 2nd Lt assigned to Camp Pendleton in California

Its a great series and more realistic than a straight war movie

Rice is green but really sharp as he deals with problems encountered as an infantry platoon leader

He does everything by the book, and knows the book from cover to cover

In fact he’s so good that I imagine him as the future commandant of the Marine Corps

That is except for the fact that Rice has not seen combat yet but is certain to do so in Vietnam which is just heating up prior to the Gulf of Tonkin incident

I wonder what a sequel to that show would be?

Is it about Gen Rice, or 1st Lt Rice, deceased, and a the Medal of Honor recipient?

Its a good show and I urge anyone interested in that period of American history to look it up on YouTube
I heard about that series...but don't think I ever watched.
I was 9 when Star Trek came out.
Those were the golden days of television.
Batman, The Munsters, Bonanza, Star Trek, The Adams Family, Saturday morning cartoons. Bugs Bunny, Johnny Quest.

Forum List

Back