Has anyone on here ever put LED headlights in their car?

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
Well, after thinking about it for a long time, as well as researching endlessly on the internet, I've finally decided to pull the trigger and order LED headlight bulbs for my car. The set I decided to order (based on reviews and research) is the Fahren Forenner 9006 LED headlight bulbs (they will fit for low beam usage on my car). They seem to have the most positive reviews for my car (2008 Honda Civic EX sedan), as well as have pretty decent reviews for how well they operate. Supposed to arrive tomorrow, and I'm gonna put them in tomorrow afternoon. Will be posting updates as to how well they work and longevity. Hopefully they won't strobe out like I've heard other LED bulbs doing.

Has anyone on here ever switched their halogen headlight bulbs for LED's, and if so, how well did they work in your car? If they work great, or work crappy, let me know, as well as the problems/things you like and the make and model of the car and the bulb. I'm interested if others have used them and what they think.

No need to.
The headlight design in my 2011 Grand Cherokee uses standard h11 halogen bulbs.
The reflector behind the bulb throws off the best lighting I have ever had in a vehicle.
Too bad they changed the design the following year as those headlights appear small and dim.

Well you know small can be good.

flashy-flash.gif

Well, after thinking about it for a long time, as well as researching endlessly on the internet, I've finally decided to pull the trigger and order LED headlight bulbs for my car. The set I decided to order (based on reviews and research) is the Fahren Forenner 9006 LED headlight bulbs (they will fit for low beam usage on my car). They seem to have the most positive reviews for my car (2008 Honda Civic EX sedan), as well as have pretty decent reviews for how well they operate. Supposed to arrive tomorrow, and I'm gonna put them in tomorrow afternoon. Will be posting updates as to how well they work and longevity. Hopefully they won't strobe out like I've heard other LED bulbs doing.

Has anyone on here ever switched their halogen headlight bulbs for LED's, and if so, how well did they work in your car? If they work great, or work crappy, let me know, as well as the problems/things you like and the make and model of the car and the bulb. I'm interested if others have used them and what they think.

Yes, they work fine. Much brighter, and they use less energy so not as much of a drain on the battery when the engine is off.

After you install, check the headlight aim. Very important even if you don't change the lamps.

No need to.
The headlight design in my 2011 Grand Cherokee uses standard h11 halogen bulbs.
The reflector behind the bulb throws off the best lighting I have ever had in a vehicle.
Too bad they changed the design the following year as those headlights appear small and dim.
If it's an automatic, go ahead and pre order a parking pawl for the POS

If it's an automatic, go ahead and pre order a parking pawl for the POS
You know. I love the way it handles and tows, but have not been happy with the reliability.
Engine failure of the 5.7 at 150K, which luckily was covered by a lifetime powertrain. Constant electronic issues.

Had a '96 that was indestructible, this is no '96.

Won't buy another.

I switched over to LED lights in the car pictured below this past summer. Big improvement over the Xenon lights that the car came with when I bought it new, especially for night driving. I only use the car for pleasure trips, not everyday but the difference is quite noticeable.

Below is a chart of brightness levels for LED lights that you may find helpful.

I chose 6000K because when you go higher, the lights look more blue than bright white.

Attachments

• IMG_6198.jpg
    IMG_6198.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6056.jpg
    IMG_6056.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 14
I switched over to LED lights in the car pictured below this past summer. Big improvement over the Xenon lights that the car came with when I bought it new, especially for night driving. I only use the car for pleasure trips, not everyday but the difference is quite noticeable.

Below is a chart of brightness levels for LED lights that you may find helpful.

I chose 6000K because when you go higher, the lights look more blue than bright white.

Yeah, 6000K is what I went with, because when I was doing the research (there's a couple of good YouTube videos on this subject) the higher numbers looked too blue to me, and I wasn't too confident about that, especially driving on back country roads where it's pretty damn dark. 6000K looks like the best choice, as it offers more "true color" to what things are on the road.

Main reason I'm getting LED's? I want to be able to see the deer (there's lots of them out here) in time to not crunch the front end of my car. Last year, there were 3 deer that got hit and killed right in front of our house, and this year, there have been 2 that have been hit so far.

I've also done some serious research on deer whistles, as I was thinking of getting some of those, but from everything I've read, they are pretty much useless and don't work, as well as you have to be careful to not power wash your car as they will get ruined from high pressure water.

Yeah, 6000K is what I went with, because when I was doing the research (there's a couple of good YouTube videos on this subject) the higher numbers looked too blue to me, and I wasn't too confident about that, especially driving on back country roads where it's pretty damn dark. 6000K looks like the best choice, as it offers more "true color" to what things are on the road.

Main reason I'm getting LED's? I want to be able to see the deer (there's lots of them out here) in time to not crunch the front end of my car. Last year, there were 3 deer that got hit and killed right in front of our house, and this year, there have been 2 that have been hit so far.

I've also done some serious research on deer whistles, as I was thinking of getting some of those, but from everything I've read, they are pretty much useless and don't work, as well as you have to be careful to not power wash your car as they will get ruined from high pressure water.
I live in California in the suburbs so I don't see many deer, but what I have noticed most about the LED lights is how much better nighttime visibility is driving to Las Vegas. There are some very dark areas on the freeway between where I live and there.

I do know a few people in the Midwest who deal with deer on the roads all the time, and some have experienced serious car damage by running into them.

Well, got the headlight bulbs in the mail today and put 'em in. Plug and play, they fit my headlight housing just like the stock bulbs, and didn't have any problems. Hardest part of it was putting the engine coolant overflow tank back in (had to take it out to access the driver's side low beam bulb). Took more time to do that than it did to replace the bulbs! BTW, for any of you with 8th generation Honda Civics, the Fahren Forenner 9006 bulbs fit perfect, like stock, just plug and play.

And, just got back from a night time drive testing them out. They throw light down the road really well, seem to light up the sides of the road a bit better, and I didn't get flashed by other drivers who might have thought my high beams were on. All in all, a pretty decent set of bulbs.

Speaking of high beams, Honda Civics have 2 bulbs, one for low beam and one for high beam, and the high beam halogen seemed to be just a tiny bit brighter than the LED low beams. Now, I'm thinking I'm gonna have to get LED's for the high beams as well, since the low beams work so well.

And...................if the LED's hold out for longevity as advertised? I'm gonna be a happy dude, as well as a convert for LED bulbs.

I switched over to LED headlights about 5,000 miles ago.
I bought the best I could IIRC.

They're ok but the light beam pattern has a lot to be desired in my Dodge.

Forum List

Back