Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

jillian

Princess
Apr 4, 2006
The Other Side of Paradise
Took my little guy to see it last night. A much darker Hogwarts.... They did a very good job, although I wouldn't have minded a bit more emphasis on characterization of other characters besides Harry. I guess with the film at over 3 hours without the additional storylines, something had to get cut. Personally, I wouldn't have minded another hour....but maybe that's just me.

A nice addition to the franchise, albeit one that acts as a transitional tale that hits the high points but misses the depth of the book.

We're going to see it Tomorrow at an IMAX. I'm so looking forward to it. Have you ordered book 7 yet?

I heard the final fight sequence is amazing on IMAX! It was pretty impressive even on a normal screen.

Two copies of book 7 (one for me, one for the little guy) reserved and ready to be picked up at midnight on Friday! Yay!!!

As much as I'm looking forward to the book, I'm very sorry that's going to be it for the series.

I'm getting mine at Powell books in Downtown Portland. It's called the 'City of Books'. It's 5+ stories tall and takes up and entire city block. I can spend days just wandering and still want to go back. They will be having a huge party starting at 10pm. They will start handing out the books at Midnight. I'm so excited. We are getting 3 copies. The boys do better when they have copies of their own while we read it. I'm so excited.

I'm getting mine at Powell books in Downtown Portland. It's called the 'City of Books'. It's 5+ stories tall and takes up and entire city block. I can spend days just wandering and still want to go back. They will be having a huge party starting at 10pm. They will start handing out the books at Midnight. I'm so excited. We are getting 3 copies. The boys do better when they have copies of their own while we read it. I'm so excited.

Cool! Sounds like a great place. I tried to get my son to go to the party at the Scholastic Store in Soho, but he doesn't like crowds. :rolleyes:

Did you enjoy the film?

Waiting for your review. ;)

We're heading out in a few hours. We have 8pm tickets it turns out. Thankful that I got them ahead of time. I heard they are sold out for the day.

OMG. I agree that many of the things in the book are not in it. Are we total going to do with out Hermine's passion for freedom.

They didn't really focus on any of the characterization. It was all plot driven. It moved us to Half-Blood Prince.

We also didn't get to see Neville's parents and my son was complaining that the big brain in the jar at the Ministry of Magic was excluded.

On the other hand, it was focused and I'm not certain that another hour or so exploring details wouldn't have made the film disjointed. That said, I read somewhere that the director had never read any of the books before, so he wouldn't have had the same attachment to detail as we die-hards.

Yeah I was also shocked with the opening alone. The shock that the aunt knows things about the magic world. The whole Tonks thing. The craziness of the house and that dang house elf. I can go on and on.

ITA that they could of added a least another hour but they did make a completed movie. I went with someone who hasn't read any of the books and she was satisfied.

I just saw this last night and it was awesome, the best one of the series. They followed the book better then any of the other movies to date. Yes they left a lot out but it wasn't critical parts like the last two. I thought they included more then they needed to, which I was happy about. Also the ending was awesome, the final fight between the Order of the Phoenix and the Death Eaters was amazing, in a way it reminded me of a Star Wars battle sequence in a lot of ways. They also protraied the darkness in this move perfect as was the conflict with in Harry. Daniel radcliff really earned his money, he really made you feel what he was feeling. I reccommend this movie to anyone even if you arn't a Harry Potter fan you wil like and appreciate it. It also has a good message.

I heard the final fight sequence is amazing on IMAX! It was pretty impressive even on a normal screen.

Two copies of book 7 (one for me, one for the little guy) reserved and ready to be picked up at midnight on Friday! Yay!!!

As much as I'm looking forward to the book, I'm very sorry that's going to be it for the series.

There's a petition online to keep the series going and rumor is she might keep it going if enough are interested.

My wife has read books one thru six, book seven arrived today via an online order I placed a week ago. $17.95 and free shipping. We got 1-6 in a box set for my son. I've never read any of them. Seen all the movies though.

I can see the progression in the movies from light and fun (children's level) to dark and foreboding (teen and adult). So obviously it is age appropriate for those who grew up watching the movies or reading the books.

I did miss the details that normally appeared in the background of the other movies. And I missed the traditional Quidditch (sp?) scene. Overall, I liked GOF better than this one. But it was worth the ticket price.

I heard that this was to be the last movie? Anyone know if that is true?

My wife has read books one thru six, book seven arrived today via an online order I placed a week ago. $17.95 and free shipping. We got 1-6 in a box set for my son. I've never read any of them. Seen all the movies though.

I can see the progression in the movies from light and fun (children's level) to dark and foreboding (teen and adult). So obviously it is age appropriate for those who grew up watching the movies or reading the books.

I did miss the details that normally appeared in the background of the other movies. And I missed the traditional Quidditch (sp?) scene. Overall, I liked GOF better than this one. But it was worth the ticket price.

I heard that this was to be the last movie? Anyone know if that is true?

No they are gonna do all 7 movies. IMDB shows the 6th movie coming out Noverber 11 2008. I do miss the Quidduch as well. The books get a lot darker, it's not just the movies.

Forum List

Back