Happy Independence Day India

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
Today India is celebrating 70th Independence Day. Wow, it has already been 70 years. Time flies :)

---

India was declared an independent nation on August 15th, 1947.

As midnight turned, Jawaharlal Nehru, the first prime minister of the newly-declared dominion, hailed the arrival of a new, free India.

“At the stroke of the midnight hour, when the world sleeps, India will awake to life and freedom,” he said.

“A moment comes, which comes but rarely in history, when we step out from the old to the new, when an age ends, and when the soul of a nation, long suppressed, finds utterance.”

Seventy years later, Google has joined in with India’s celebrations by creating a special paper-cut-style Doodle depicting the nation’s Parliament House.

What is India's Independence Day 2017? Google Doodle marks Indian national holiday

how is it celebrated? -------If I drop by the indian enclave in my town will I see some
kind of celebrations? warn me if they use firecrackers

how is it celebrated? -------If I drop by the indian enclave in my town will I see some
kind of celebrations? warn me if they use firecrackers

This is how Independence Day is celebrated in India:

On the personal level in the US, Indians just go about their business and in the evening probably visit friends and family and indulge in chai and samosas.

Proud to stand with people of India, says US

634143_1.jpg

WASHINGTON/NEW DELHI: The US on Tuesday greeted India on its Independence Day and said Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s ambitious vision for India-US ties holds great promise for advancing their shared interests in the 21st century.

In a statement released by his office, US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said: “On behalf of the government of the US, best wishes to the people of India as they celebrate their independence day and continue the journey we began together 70 years ago.

“The US is proud to stand with the people of India, the world’s largest democracy, in the cause for freedom and prosperity around the globe.

“Prime Minister Modi’s ambitious vision for the US-India relationship holds great promise for advancing our shared interests in the 21st century, and we look forward to the many years of friendship before us.”

gulftoday.ae | Proud to stand with people of India, says US

Forum List

Back