Had my first jobsite failure due to poor workmanship today.

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
This is a killer and I am just devastated. This customer spent nearly 60k on one bathroom and today the shower failed. All because I didn't accommodate the waste line under the shower for a high enough water flow.
There are 9 shower heads/body sprays all controlled by a digital distribution box. No traditional handles to control the shower. Needless to say when a leak below was discovered (by the customer after i left yesterday) it took me hours to diagnose the problem today when I got there and she was gone at work. I had individually tested all the spouts but never ran them all at once. Turns out I needed a 3 inch drain line to accommodate the volume of water when every head was used. Kohler supplied the drain and all the valves and digital boxes so I naturally assumed their drain neck signified the size of pipe I needed. WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMFG now I have to demo a brand new FINISHED job to change the damn pipes below the floor. The material cost alone is gonna kill me.
Sadly I can't just tear out the ceiling from below because this stupid house has like 3 damn feet between the two floors in this part of the house to accommodate a 30ft vaulted ceiling and spiral grand staircase.
We did everything we've always done and never had any issues but the new technology and NOT READING THE FUCKING PHAMPLET that came with it is my demise. 1/3rd of my proffit just went out the window........

Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Banned
I know alot of you say why post personal shit.

Sorry but I had to vent. This shit is eating me up. Has been all day and this isn't the kind of thing you talk about with suppliers or customers.

FUUUUUUUUUUCK

• Banned
I know it's a bitch, but don't beat yourself up over it. First time for everything. Hang in there. :thup:

Thanks, I know it will pass it's just hard to deal with. My next two jobs will now have to be delayed and part of the material I need is special order only.

25 years in the business and I FINALLY bit off more than I could chew. The worst part is she is a repeat customer from 10 years prior and I pray she doesn't post this mess on AngiesList.

This is a killer and I am just devastated. This customer spent nearly 60k on one bathroom and today the shower failed. All because I didn't accommodate the waste line under the shower for a high enough water flow.
There are 9 shower heads/body sprays all controlled by a digital distribution box. No traditional handles to control the shower. Needless to say when a leak below was discovered (by the customer after i left yesterday) it took me hours to diagnose the problem today when I got there and she was gone at work. I had individually tested all the spouts but never ran them all at once. Turns out I needed a 3 inch drain line to accommodate the volume of water when every head was used. Kohler supplied the drain and all the valves and digital boxes so I naturally assumed their drain neck signified the size of pipe I needed. WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMFG now I have to demo a brand new FINISHED job to change the damn pipes below the floor. The material cost alone is gonna kill me.
Sadly I can't just tear out the ceiling from below because this stupid house has like 3 damn feet between the two floors in this part of the house to accommodate a 30ft vaulted ceiling and spiral grand staircase.
We did everything we've always done and never had any issues but the new technology and NOT READING THE FUCKING PHAMPLET that came with it is my demise. 1/3rd of my proffit just went out the window........

Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sorry to hear about that, Gramps

Forum List

Back