Gun license / registration -- a sound argument?

Looks like this thread began and remained mostly a circle jerk of gun jerks.
Translation:
As per the norm, you know you do not have a sound response to the challenged presented.

There is no challenge, you and your pals have won. The US is no longer a democratic republic, it has become a pure plutocracy where elected officials have been purchased to do the bidding of the power elite.

That power is the power of money, sanctified by Reagan and the current Supreme Court as a virtue - no longer a deadly sin.

Gun violence thins the heard, and it's profitable as a commodity and a wedge issue. Thus the conservative element which dominates the power elite supports guns and opposes universal health care; it also opposes abortion and immigration reform too, so as to guarantee a source of cheap labor all competing for low level jobs.

School vouchers and high costs for higher education keep the power elite in power for generations, thus our plutocracy will soon mirror Europe before the Age of Reason.

Looks like this thread began and remained mostly a circle jerk of gun jerks.
Translation:
As per the norm, you know you do not have a sound response to the challenged presented.
There is no challenge, you and your pals have won. The US is no longer a democratic republic.... [mindless blah-blah omitted]
As I said:
You know you do not have a sound response to the challenged presented.
Thank you for continuing to prove it.

I can possibly see where a gun ownership license could be useful, but that's as far as I'd go.

Here's an example of one way that it could be done:
To get one, a person would undergo the existing (or even expanded) background check once, pay a nominal (< $10) fee, and have it valid for, say, 4 years. Renewal of a valid license could even skip the background check and be offered at a lower fee.
Anything that would currently prevent a person from purchasing a firearm would result in the license being immediately suspended or revoked if it happens after issuance. When purchasing a firearm, the dealer would only have to run the license (no information retained) to check for revocation. After this, an abbreviated version of form 4473 would be filled out and kept by the dealer, identical to current practice.

Lighter workload for the background check agencies, less hassle for dealers, and no increase in government intrusion.
It could even make it easier to prosecute for illegal possession of a firearm. If a person has a valid license in their name, even if it isn't physically in their possession, then they're good to go. No more difficult than checking to see if their driver's license is valid.
Possession without a valid license would (and should) result in severe penalties, possibly even Federal in nature.

The only thing that the Fed. Gov't. would know about a gun owner without a warranted FFL dealer records check is that a person is clear to own firearms, not how many or of what kind.
Ok... but why is is necessary for the state who know who owns guns?
I liken it as an appeasement toward the Progressives who constantly want new gun legislation.
Appeasement never works -- they - regardless of who "threy" are -- always come back for more.
In fact, it is impossible to compromise with the anti-gun side because it is impossible for them to offer anything in return for the portion of your rights they want you to give up.
Besides, it wouldn't indicate who owns guns...
The fact that you have to get the license to buy a gun is , alone, probable cause to assume you have a gun - like a driver's license, why get one if you do not plan to drive?

Unless the state can show it MUST know who has guns, that it is necessary for the state to have that information, there's no way to soundly argue against the claim that licensing is an infringement on the right to arms, in violation of the constitution.

There you go again. It's why you've won. Common sense suggests guns should be allowed for personal protection but controlled to protect innocent victims from them.

Most gun owners respect that opinion, some do not and you're one of them. It seems you would like no controls, and allow anyone to own or possess a gun unless they are criminals

Consider a few of the notorious mass killers of recent days, at Columbine, Virginia Tech, at the Aurora Theater in Co., at a member of Congress town hall meeting in Arizona and dozens more.

Guess what, they were not criminals until they committed murder, the unlawful act of taking the life of a human being.

Do you support a world where the best shooters survive? Where arguments and policies are decided by duel; of course it worked, it sure shut up Hamilton. But who would have thought a VP of the United States and an aid to General Washington would one day become a notorious traitor? I guess it's hard to identify whose a criminal until they act accordingly.

There you go again. It's why you've won. Common sense suggests guns should be allowed for personal protection but controlled to protect innocent victims from them.
As I said:

As I said:

You have no ability to rebut anything I've posted, and continue to echo yourself. You are pitiful.

As I said:
You have no ability to rebut anything I've posted...
You haven't posted a sound response to the challenge posed in the OP, because you know you cannot.
All of your whining to any other effect is petulant nonsense intended to distract from that fact.

Forum List

Back