Gun guys...would it be possible to convert this revolver to a modern design...?

I like the way this revolver looks but think updating it to modern features would be interesting.....make it side opening rather than break top.....make it drop safe.....does anyone make one like that?

schofield .45 revolver 3.5" barrel - Google Search

https://www.ubertireplicas.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/schofield-3_50.jpg

Trying to update that particular gun would take so much rework that when you were done it wouldn't be the same gun anymore.

Could you get one made from the ground up.....? How much would something like that cost?

I like the way this revolver looks but think updating it to modern features would be interesting.....make it side opening rather than break top.....make it drop safe.....does anyone make one like that?

Trying to update that particular gun would take so much rework that when you were done it wouldn't be the same gun anymore.

Could you get one made from the ground up.....? How much would something like that cost?

You MIGHT be able to make one from the ground up, dunno, you'd have to check with a gunsmith.

But, because it has the break in front of where the bullets are held, and you said that you want it to release to the side, by the time you built it to your specs, it would no longer be the same gun.

Probably a cheaper option would be to buy a modern day revolver with a side release and see if it can be modified to what you want.

Changing a front break revolver to a side release one is like saying you want to convert a large 4wd truck into a car, or vice versa. It can be done, but by the time you're finished, it's only barely related to what you started with, and isn't quite what you wanted it to become.

You MIGHT be able to make one from the ground up, dunno, you'd have to check with a gunsmith.

But, because it has the break in front of where the bullets are held, and you said that you want it to release to the side, by the time you built it to your specs, it would no longer be the same gun.

Probably a cheaper option would be to buy a modern day revolver with a side release and see if it can be modified to what you want.

Changing a front break revolver to a side release one is like saying you want to convert a large 4wd truck into a car, or vice versa. It can be done, but by the time you're finished, it's only barely related to what you started with, and isn't quite what you wanted it to become.

I would just be looking for a gun that looks like that one.......with the features that would make it function like a modern pistol.....

I would just be looking for a gun that looks like that one.......with the features that would make it function like a modern pistol.....

In that case, what you want to do is get a modern pistol and then find a machinist or a gun smith who can manufacture plates to fit on the modern gun that make it simply look like it's a break front revolver.

Problem solved, and though at first glance it might look like a break front revolver, the cool factor would be in how you made a modern weapon look retro.

Trust me.............doing it that way would be WAAAAAYYYY easier than what your OP first suggested.

Granny says dat's a gun...

... fer close-in fightin'...

... not gonna be much fer accuracy...

... at a long distance...

... with just a 3.5" barrel.

Probably be better off...

... tradin' it in fer what ya want.

In that case, what you want to do is get a modern pistol and then find a machinist or a gun smith who can manufacture plates to fit on the modern gun that make it simply look like it's a break front revolver.

Problem solved, and though at first glance it might look like a break front revolver, the cool factor would be in how you made a modern weapon look retro.

Trust me.............doing it that way would be WAAAAAYYYY easier than what your OP first suggested.

That is exactly what I was trying to get at but doing a poor job of it...thanks for the help. I always wondered why they didn't make a line of pistols modeled on the old west pistols but with modern updates like you pointed out........you would have the classic look, but modern effectiveness.

Why do you have an issue with the top break? The Schofield was designed as a cavalry model, reloaded much faster than the M1873 "Peacemaker". Why would you think the top break wasn't safe?
Heck, I'd love to own a Schofield!!!

Why do you have an issue with the top break? The Schofield was designed as a cavalry model, reloaded much faster than the M1873 "Peacemaker". Why would you think the top break wasn't safe?

It isn't that it isn't safe.......the side loading model is obviously the better method.....I have heard that the top loaders have problems with the latches breaking after a lot of use....and the old western guns usually had to have the hammer rest on an empty cylinder though I think the new replicas have fixed that issue.

I love the look of the Western pistols....I just think the side loading technique is a faster reload, and could help bring these guns back into the main stream....

It isn't that it isn't safe.......the side loading model is obviously the better method.....I have heard that the top loaders have problems with the latches breaking after a lot of use....and the old western guns usually had to have the hammer rest on an empty cylinder though I think the new replicas have fixed that issue.

I love the look of the Western pistols....I just think the side loading technique is a faster reload, and could help bring these guns back into the main stream....
The modern reproductions still don't have a safety so yeah ya still have to rest the hammer on an empty chamber. Over time all latches/moving parts wear out/break so don't believe everything you hear, heck people still argue over how safe brass framed cap and ball revolvers are, I've owned a few and never had a problem with them. There's a lot of myths and BS concerning the old firearms and the new reproductions, a whole lot of myths and BS.
With modern speed loaders I'd say the reload time is probably about the same, speed loaders in the 1800s were people who could reload faster than anyone else..........

The modern reproductions still don't have a safety so yeah ya still have to rest the hammer on an empty chamber. Over time all latches/moving parts wear out/break so don't believe everything you hear, heck people still argue over how safe brass framed cap and ball revolvers are, I've owned a few and never had a problem with them. There's a lot of myths and BS concerning the old firearms and the new reproductions, a whole lot of myths and BS.
With modern speed loaders I'd say the reload time is probably about the same, speed loaders in the 1800s were people who could reload faster than anyone else..........
You want to see a venerable old top break, the trusty old British Webley revolver, one of the best six shooters ever made, they're still around today and most are still working fine but the originals are really expensive.

2.jpg

Here is an idea...for those who compete in the Cowboy action competitions.....how about a western gun, that is usually loaded via a gate, one round at a time....with a side loading cylinger, both on the same western revolver........so you could compete with the gun but at the same time use it's modern design for home defense?

Here is an idea...for those who compete in the Cowboy action competitions.....how about a western gun, that is usually loaded via a gate, one round at a time....with a side loading cylinger, both on the same western revolver........so you could compete with the gun but at the same time use it's modern design for home defense?

Would be extremely difficult, if not impossible to engineer, because you have 2 different ways of loading, both with their own hardware, that need to occupy the same space (i.e. putting the round in the barrel).

Forum List

Back