For gun hobbyists, not a political discussion of gun control.

My latest acquisition for hog/sport shooting: A Hi-Point .45 carbine.

View attachment 92306

I bought my wife the 9mm version and saw this one in the gun store last week while looking at wheel guns. It was the .45 caliber that attracted me. Accurate out to 100 yards for hunting, 200+ for self defense.

Looking forward to shooting it.
Like any other CQB carbine this is for close-in shooting like urban.

Not very good for longer range like the 5.56x45 or even the 7.62x39.

Definitely not appropriate for hogs or any other animals.

Main advantage is that one kind of ammo -- the 45ACP -- will work in it and also in a pistol. That's a good point.

My primary pistol is a 45ACP and my primary carbine is a 5.56x45 however.

The toughness of hogs is way over blown. Most of the stories you hear about hogs soaking up led and eating children are BS printed by gun rag editers who are recounting their latest canned hunt. That and 90% of those who shoot pigs don know where to shoot them, thus they shoot them 10 times in the guts with a .416 Rigby yes gawk in amazement as the hog runs off into the woods.

For the carbine, you will come to love the holosight on your carbine. You and your best half will notice after lots of shooting that y'all are getting "fast". If you plan on recovering the hogs you shoot, stick with the 230 gr ball ammo. Honestly, that will take care of 90% of every thing y'all shoot. For the 9mm same thing. Just shoot them right. If you wanted some performance, the Remington Golden Saber bonded 185gr+P is pretty dang good out of a carbine. In the 9mm, just about any primo ammo works great. The vaunted 9BPLE+ Comes apart from a carbine in my experience. YMMV, but the +Pnstuff shoots really good in carbines. May look into stiffer springs if you shoot allot of heavy (+P stuff). High point carbon me is an awesome carbine. I prefer the Marlin Camp Carbine. So wish they would bring them back and make them to accept Glock mags.

View attachment 92306

I bought my wife the 9mm version and saw this one in the gun store last week while looking at wheel guns. It was the .45 caliber that attracted me. Accurate out to 100 yards for hunting, 200+ for self defense.

Main advantage is that one kind of ammo -- the 45ACP -- will work in it and also in a pistol. That's a good point.

The toughness of hogs is way over blown. Most of the stories you hear about hogs soaking up led and eating children are BS printed by gun rag editers who are recounting their latest canned hunt. That and 90% of those who shoot pigs don know where to shoot them, thus they shoot them 10 times in the guts with a .416 Rigby yes gawk in amazement as the hog runs off into the woods.

For the carbine, you will come to love the holosight on your carbine. You and your best half will notice after lots of shooting that y'all are getting "fast". If you plan on recovering the hogs you shoot, stick with the 230 gr ball ammo. Honestly, that will take care of 90% of every thing y'all shoot. For the 9mm same thing. Just shoot them right. If you wanted some performance, the Remington Golden Saber bonded 185gr+P is pretty dang good out of a carbine. In the 9mm, just about any primo ammo works great. The vaunted 9BPLE+ Comes apart from a carbine in my experience. YMMV, but the +Pnstuff shoots really good in carbines. May look into stiffer springs if you shoot allot of heavy (+P stuff). High point carbon me is an awesome carbine. I prefer the Marlin Camp Carbine. So wish they would bring them back and make them to accept Glock mags.

The Marlin looks like a fun weapon.

For hogs, my favorite remains the 7.62X39 using either an SKS or an AK since I can easily reach out to 200 yards+. Usually 80-100 yards.

View attachment 92306

For hogs, my favorite remains the 7.62X39 using either an SKS or an AK since I can easily reach out to 200 yards+. Usually 80-100 yards.

Ya, and that 30 cal bullet will do. Lots of SKS in flat hulled boats on the trinity here.

After reviewing the instructions, which seem pretty easy to accomplish, I decided to order a Timney trigger for my Mosin, so that means I'll forgo the stock change until I have the trigger. Reviews of the trigger are good and worth the wait + expense:
Timney Trigger for Mosin Nagant--Review

So far the costs are:
Mosin-Nagant from 2 years ago: $150
Archangel Stock: $169
Extra magazine: $16
Timney trigger: $89
Scope: $50
Mount: $10
--------------------- Total so far: $484.

Best Mosin Nagant Aftermarket Stocks Reviews
Mosin-Nagant-Archangel-Stock-1024x768.jpg
Got the trigger. Now all I need is a few hours to make the mods. I also ordered a bipod, a forearm picatinny rail and a gun rest to facilitate the modifications. They'll arrive today via Amazon Prime!

Amazon.com : UTG Tactical OP Bipod, Rubber Feet, Center Height 8.3"-12.7" : Gun Monopods Bipods And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors
61lMWooFujL._SY450_.jpg

Amazon.com : MTM Site-in-Clean Rest(Red) : Hunting Cleaning And Maintenance Products : Sports & Outdoors
MTSNCR__A.jpg

Amazon.com : ProMag Archangel Opfor AA9130 Forend Rail, Black : Sports & Outdoors
s-l1000.jpg

View attachment 92306

Ya, and that 30 cal bullet will do. Lots of SKS in flat hulled boats on the trinity here.
Great rifle. Tough, reliable and inexpensive compared to others.

Sporterizing one of my Mosin-Nagants.

Archangel stock, Timney trigger, forearm picatinny rail, AIM scout scope, picatinny leaf scope adapter and UTG bipod. The stock and trigger were super easy, but the leaf picatinny adapter required a lot of grinding to fit. Total PITA. Still, I'm happy with the end results and anxious to shoot it.

Mosin-Nagant-Archangel.JPG

That's a funny lookin' commie rifle. I remember paying $150.00.
The two spam cans of ammo are funny too. :D

I paid less than that for this one a couple years ago at Cabela's. Of course, that's without the mods. The stock was about $170 with 10-shot magazine. Other accessories purchased were bayonet, second magazine, scope, scope mount and bipod.

I paid less than that for this one a couple years ago at Cabela's. Of course, that's without the mods. The stock was about $170 with 10-shot magazine. Other accessories purchased were bayonet, second magazine, scope, scope mount and bipod.

May have to loosen the bayonet socket some. You can do it pretty easy with a dremmel tool, but I did it by hand with sand paper. Those were designed to be used with bayonets fixed at all times so they typically don't fit, but with a tiny bit of work the slip right on.

May have to loosen the bayonet socket some. You can do it pretty easy with a dremmel tool, but I did it by hand with sand paper. Those were designed to be used with bayonets fixed at all times so they typically don't fit, but with a tiny bit of work the slip right on.
I have two Mosins and two bayonets. One fit great but the other was a bitch to get on and off until I worked it some.

^ my husband wants one. He's on a buying binge cause the kidlet is 18 now and I unleashed him to have guns sans safe so long as he taught the kido to shoot. I'm worried the FBI is gonna come calling thinking he's racketing cause he's buying so many so fast heh

I love the little (palm sized) SHIELD he got for me though, it's adorable! My other favorite is a 22 that breaks in half for hauling around on hunts/hikes whatever. (Not something I'd have need for, but I love the concept heh)

^ my husband wants one. He's on a buying binge cause the kidlet is 18 now and I unleashed him to have guns sans safe so long as he taught the kido to shoot. I'm worried the FBI is gonna come calling thinking he's racketing cause he's buying so many so fast heh

I love the little (palm sized) SHIELD he got for me though, it's adorable! My other favorite is a 22 that breaks in half for hauling around on hunts/hikes whatever. (Not something I'd have need for, but I love the concept heh)
S&W MP Shield 9mm? Great pocket 9!

Yes, but oops, he /had/ bought the SHIELD for me, but then he found the Ruger LCP which is actually the palm sized one I like so much heh I did mention he's on a binge, I can't even keep up with all the toys he's bringing home :p

Yes, but oops, he /had/ bought the SHIELD for me, but then he found the Ruger LCP which is actually the palm sized one I like so much heh I did mention he's on a binge, I can't even keep up with all the toys he's bringing home :p
Ruger makes great firearms.

I remember when SKS's were $115

My friend tried to talk me into getting one. He has 2.

I'm like "eh, I got my Mauser and .22" I wish I would have now.

I probably don't need another gun, but then there's the want factor.

I couldn't find the Stoner-Kalashnikov article, so attached a .PDF of it.

Attachments

• Stoner & Kalashnikov 15MAY90.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 82

Forum List

Back