Gulf States Line Up As Targets Of Trade Unions And Human Rights Groups – Analysis

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
I see people are beginning to notice how the foreign workers are being treated in the Gulf States. I am glad that these foreign workers have a chance to get jobs, but they should really be treated more decently.

Gulf States Line Up As Targets Of Trade Unions And Human Rights Groups – Analysis

By James M. Dorsey

December 24, 2013

Gulf states are lining up as targets for criticism by international trade unions and human rights groups for their treatment of foreign workers. Qatar, long in the firing line following its winning three years ago of the right to host a World Cup, was joined this week by Abu Dhabi as a result of projects to build world-class museums, luxury hotels and a campus for New York University. Dubai is likely next in line after its winning bid earlier this month to host the 2020 World Expo that is expected to generate $7 billion in construction projects.

A comparison of the fallout of media coverage and campaigning by trade unions and human rights groups of Qatar and Abu Dhabi highlights the power of the World Cup and soccer and puts the onus of responsibility for ensuring that hosts meet international standards of human rights as well as their own lofty ideals on international sports associations like world soccer body FIFA.

To continue reading, go to:

Gulf States Line Up As Targets Of Trade Unions And Human Rights Groups - Analysis Eurasia Review

James Dorsey probably doesn't know that during the "worst" of the Bahrain crackdown 300 Americans crossed the causeway from Saudi Arabia to play golf in Bahrain..

Bahrain is about media.. I have American friends who have lived there for more than a decade with their children .. The wife teaches school. They laughed at the press reports.

Foreign workers compete to work in the Gulf States because they earn ten times as much as in their home countries and they support large, extended families at home.

They compete to the extent that they arrive illegally without visas or they overstay their Hajj visas... Then they are vulnerable to being mistreated.

Dorsey is 0one of those clowns who has found his audience.. and panders to it.

James Dorsey probably doesn't know that during the "worst" of the Bahrain crackdown 300 Americans crossed the causeway from Saudi Arabia to play golf in Bahrain..

Bahrain is about media.. I have American friends who have lived there for more than a decade with their children .. The wife teaches school. They laughed at the press reports.

Foreign workers compete to work in the Gulf States because they earn ten times as much as in their home countries and they support large, extended families at home.

They compete to the extent that they arrive illegally without visas or they overstay their Hajj visas... Then they are vulnerable to being mistreated.

Dorsey is 0one of those clowns who has found his audience.. and panders to it.

I'm laughing because I think the clown here is Ms. Sharoona who wants us to believe she knows it all. There have been many articles about these foreign workers in the Gulf States, and we are all aware that they come from poor countries. However, many of them are treated as virtual slaves, and if Ms. Sharoona wants to close her eyes to it, she is of course welcome to do so. Meanwhile, Ms. Sharoona, the actual Sharona is working as a real estate agent and doing very well.

Forum List

Back