CDZ Growing trend?

...... The period wherein one is "young and pretty "well set" and facing a relatively narrow spectrum of challenges" ....
Different challenges do not equate to narrow challenges.

The challenges aren't what I wrote are narrow. The spectrum of them -- that is, the variety in their natures and extents -- is what I asserted/implied ranges from narrow to broad.

• Being young and pretty "well set" and facing a relatively narrow spectrum of challenges is among the most enjoyable periods in a life. What good is there to hastening its end? Allowing that period to close organically is, I think, a good thing.......

WTF? What makes you think having children means the end of enjoyable life?

WTF? That "having children means the end of enjoyable life" is an inference you unilaterally and unsoundly made.
  • What part of the word "among" did you not understand?
  • Why did you opt to focus on the object of the predicate (its end) as opposed to the action of predicate?

The operative point of the "hasten" sentence is "why rush/hasten," not "why end." The end of the "young, 'well set' and narrow spectrum" period is merely the thing hastened/rushed.

I could have written a sentence that emphasizes the ending of a life-phase rather than one's hastening toward the end of a life-phase, but I didn't because I didn't want to stress the ending of a phase. One way I could have stressed the ending rather than the hastening is with the following construction: "What good is there to hastily ending it?"

The reason I chose a construction that operatively prioritizes "hasten" rather than "end" is because I'm well aware that one enjoyable period may or may not be followed by another enjoyable phase......

Spin fail.
So you say.....

Is the following a growing trend? In our church we received a new member about a month ago. He is a single white male age 29. He has been working in the local paper mill sinceage 23...he holds a college degree and has been moving up in the company. We went golfing together and I got to know him. He makes a good salary and has no bills as he lives at home with his mom...dad has passed. He stated he only pays a little for food..drives his dad's truck for nothing other than gas and plans to take over his parents house someday. He has dated some but feels as if saving his money is more important than settling down with a family so he said he is done dating and hopes more and more young people follow his lead especially those with good incomes. He feels this is a trend and views it as a good thing. He plans to retire in his lower 50s with plenty of money. I know of only 2 others like this. Is this a good trend?
No.
He sets more store on wealth than happiness. There is something a bit "not right" about him.

And who are you to say he's not happy?

He might be very happy with his life.

I don't think it's a trend as much as the fact that young people don't feel pressure to conform to any particular way of life. They are much more independent thinkers
Funny I don't think they are independent thinkers at all since they live their lives via social media and put far too much stock in the opinions of people they will never actually meet

Is the following a growing trend? In our church we received a new member about a month ago. He is a single white male age 29. He has been working in the local paper mill sinceage 23...he holds a college degree and has been moving up in the company. We went golfing together and I got to know him. He makes a good salary and has no bills as he lives at home with his mom...dad has passed. He stated he only pays a little for food..drives his dad's truck for nothing other than gas and plans to take over his parents house someday. He has dated some but feels as if saving his money is more important than settling down with a family so he said he is done dating and hopes more and more young people follow his lead especially those with good incomes. He feels this is a trend and views it as a good thing. He plans to retire in his lower 50s with plenty of money. I know of only 2 others like this. Is this a good trend?

He sounds cheap and selfish to me

I have no problem with him living at home or not driving an expensive car

But you have to have a life. Go out, do things, meet people....build some memories
Avoiding relationships also leads to an empty life

If he is looking to wait until he is fifty to start living and having fun he is wasting half his life
How do you know he doesn't have an extensive circle of friends or just a handful of very good friends?

I don't think it's a trend as much as the fact that young people don't feel pressure to conform to any particular way of life. They are much more independent thinkers
Funny I don't think they are independent thinkers at all since they live their lives via social media and put far too much stock in the opinions of people they will never actually meet
In the sense they don't feel they have to get married, have kids, even get a job. They view life as a blank canvas.

In the sense they don't feel they have to get married, have kids, even get a job. They view life as a blank canvas.
That seems to me to be lack of thinking

Things have changed a lot in the realm of dating which is now more aptly referred to as "hooking up." :D Some kids want to avoid that scene. Good for them.

I am actually very good friends with a young man who is almost 30 and is still waiting for "Ms. Right" to come along. I told him that you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you meet your princess, but you will definitely meet her one of these days, so don't fear and don't rush into anything that you aren't ready for. :)

I always warn my son about girls/women too. You can't be too careful who you get involved with, seriously. You have to be very choosy if you are looking for a serious relationship. Just think about some of the people you know and their marriages and/or divorces. You can avoid all of that . . . unnecessary drama if you are just more careful about who you get with.

Damn, I know so many people and have heard so many stories about how they were royally screwed over by their "spouse." Makes one kind of sour to the whole idea of marriage, you know? Especially when you grew up with two people who were married but who really didn't get along at ALL.

But you have to have a life. Go out, do things, meet people....build some memories

If he is looking to wait until he is fifty to start living and having fun he is wasting half his life
How do you know he doesn't have an extensive circle of friends or just a handful of very good friends?

All I know is the information that was provided in the OP

That is all I can comment on

Well, how many people probably say they are giving up dating, only to be dating someone the next week? Lol. :D

Maybe...but they don't just do what their parents did...

• Being young and pretty "well set" and facing a relatively narrow spectrum of challenges is among the most enjoyable periods in a life. What good is there to hastening its end? Allowing that period to close organically is, I think, a good thing.......

WTF? What makes you think having children means the end of enjoyable life?

You quoted him but I don't see that stated in the quote.

In any event, not everyone wants kids or should have kids. Some believe it would be the "end of an enjoyable life" for them and that decision should be respected.

As to the OP - If we consider ONLY the given information in the OP, his mother is widowed. We don't know if she works or is well off or not but this reminds me of the screeching we heard over ObamaCares allowing a family to stay on the same insurance policy until each child reaches the age of 26.

Why not? Why would anyone be against families staying together? Ostensibly caring and taking care of each other?

There could be reasons we don't know about but I suspect that, most often, the deciding factor is money. A middle age woman alone? My bet is she's glad he's there.

It sounds like just the opposite.

One's life IS a blank canvas. In my parent's day, you were expected to be married young and work at the same job until you dropped dead or were presented with a gold watch.

People had pensions they had earned, as well as Social Security. big corporations have taken earned pensions away. Just ripped them out from under those who had earned them.

Every few days, there's another article about how middle aged and elderly had not saved and invested. Makes sense to stay single, save money, invest and save. Marry later or not at all. Have kids later or not at all.

No you commented on your assumptions

New Topics

Forum List

Back