Grilled pizza

So, we are having a bonfire Saturday night and I wanted to grill something unusual. I heard someone joke the other day about grilled pizza and that popped in my head.. but I need some help..
I plan on doing three types : pepperoni, supreme and BBQ. BBW being crock pot pork shoulder; and then when I shred it and put it on the pizza, I will smoke the whole thing. Afterwards, drizzle it with some thin BBQ sauce. Just enough to give it that sauce taste.. Probably use cheddar cheese, too.
Where I am having problems : should I grill the crust on both sides and THEN put on the toppings? Maybe I should bake the crust a tad before moving it to the grill?
I am also a little worried about losing shape moving it that much. But I dotn guess it matters.. it is grilled pizza lol..
Opinions?

I make pizza on my grill all the time in the summer. I just use a Boboli crust. I use the regular and not the thin crust. The thin crust will burn before your toppings and cheese are ready. The pork shoulder pizza sounds great!

tas_tasters011812b_207046a_8col.jpg

I can only find one kind of premade crust around here and it isn't that good.. :(

So, we are having a bonfire Saturday night and I wanted to grill something unusual. I heard someone joke the other day about grilled pizza and that popped in my head.. but I need some help..
I plan on doing three types : pepperoni, supreme and BBQ. BBW being crock pot pork shoulder; and then when I shred it and put it on the pizza, I will smoke the whole thing. Afterwards, drizzle it with some thin BBQ sauce. Just enough to give it that sauce taste.. Probably use cheddar cheese, too.
Where I am having problems : should I grill the crust on both sides and THEN put on the toppings? Maybe I should bake the crust a tad before moving it to the grill?
I am also a little worried about losing shape moving it that much. But I dotn guess it matters.. it is grilled pizza lol..
Opinions?
If you are doing it in a grill with the top on then there should be convection heating and it should firm up ok. But if doing it in the open I would try to firm it up a little before putting anything on it. Just a thought, as I have never tried this. I grill a lot, but never a pizza.

I can only find one kind of premade crust around here and it isn't that good.. :(

Just doctor it up. Put some garlic salt and olive oil and pepper on it. Maybe even some Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. :D
It was the texture and the way it cooked. I wish I could remember the brand to warn you lol..

I've tried some bad ones too. That's why I only use the Boboli now. :) That is pretty good, but I still put stuff on it.

Opinions?

Grilling won't cook the crust properly through and you should use a pizza pan never on the grill direct even if precooked the pizza will still get the smokey flavor.
Precook the pizza then just a quick pop on the grill for 2 minutes or so for regular sauce pizza to give it that brick oven pizzeria taste, more if doing Barbeque style for a broader smokey taste.
You don't want to over smoke it leaving it to long. Just a hint makes it like a pizzeria pizza.
I used to make my dough from scratch, but now I use a frozen disc of dough from NY that is nice and chewy thanks to that NY hard water. It's called Pepe's Bakery & places like Walmart sell it in the frozen bread section, but it's hidden a bit, so hard to find and I don't know which regions sell it.

Opinions?

Grilling won't cook the crust properly through and you should use a pizza pan never on the grill direct even if precooked the pizza will still get the smokey flavor.
Precook the pizza then just a quick pop on the grill for 2 minutes or so for regular sauce pizza to give it that brick oven pizzeria taste, more if doing Barbeque style for a broader smokey taste.
You don't want to over smoke it leaving it to long. Just a hint makes it like a pizzeria pizza.
I used to make my dough from scratch, but now I use a frozen disc of dough from NY that is nice and chewy thanks to that NY hard water. It's called Pepe's Bakery & places like Walmart sell it in the frozen bread section, but it's hidden a bit, so hard to find and I don't know which regions sell it.

That's why you use a premade crust, unless you have a pizza oven. I love to cook, but I hate working with dough of any kind.

image.jpg

ChrisL
Had to take my bow to the archery shop today. It's about 30 miles away. I decided to try their Walmart or my ingredients and saw them. 4 dollars a crust better be good! Lol

Crust cooked QUICK
Aluminum foil burnt the shit out of it.
Don't use foil or high temps if the dough is premade
The BBQ was fuckin amazing. Would have been better if it had more time to smoke it.
Overall, a good idea. Will be doing again sometime.
I would have taken pics but I was drinking moonshine and XX so... lol

Crust cooked QUICK
The BBQ was fuckin amazing. Would have been better if it had more time to smoke it.

Yeah, you have to be careful that you don't burn it. I have a gas grill so I just put it on low and cook until the cheese is melted and starting to bubble a bit.

Crust cooked QUICK

Yeah, you have to be careful that you don't burn it. I have a gas grill so I just put it on low and cook until the cheese is melted and starting to bubble a bit.
gas grills are so much easier and convenient.. But nothing beats the taste of charcoal! :)

Crust cooked QUICK

gas grills are so much easier and convenient.. But nothing beats the taste of charcoal! :)

I'm thinking of going with charcoal for my next grill.

Crust cooked QUICK

Maybe you should have used the "indirect" heat method on your charcoal grill.

Speaking of googling and food, I had to google about homemade white beans a couple fo weeks ago. I ruined them the first time. I didn't think beans could do that shit lol.. anyways, I googled it and still couldn't nail it. I mean, they were better, but they didn't have that thick sauce normal white beans do :dunno:

Did you blend a portion of the beans when they were done and add them to the pot?

Forum List

Back