Grief: Coping with reminders after a loss.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
Grief doesn't magically end at a certain point after a loved one's death. Reminders often bring back the pain of loss. Here's help coping — and healing.

• Banned
thanks mom died feb 4 2020...oddly at the time i just tossed myself into the things that needed to be done...not wanting to be a hypocrite .i didnt do the deep mourning thing...now i am crying at her favorite cookies in the damn grocery

I remember seeing my dad’s bedroom slippers. And he wasn’t there. :icon_cry:

A year and a week after losing my husband.

I moved halfway across the country. It helps a little not seeing the town we lived in, all the reminders.

What helps most is, perversely, knowing he was lucky to not see all the turmoil of covid, the riots in the town we loved, the vicious fighting that goes on over politics, the worst of the media lies.

Look what you people are doing to me.STOP!!!!
giphy.gif

thanks mom died feb 4 2020...oddly at the time i just tossed myself into the things that needed to be done...not wanting to be a hypocrite .i didnt do the deep mourning thing...now i am crying at her favorite cookies in the damn grocery
My father has been dead for over 30 years, I still cry a little when I see yellow roses. He loved them.

Grief doesn't magically end at a certain point after a loved one's death. Reminders often bring back the pain of loss. Here's help coping — and healing.

It is way worse when someone dies suddenly for me. When you have time to prepare for the inevitable, you seem to cry it out a lot over dismal time

Am I the only guy on this thread...lolol

My wife of fifty-one years died suddenly of a heart attack on July 1,2021. I now live alone in our old country house. Many little things are reminders of her. One example is the first time I laundered my bed clothes after her passing it occurred to me that making the bed up by myself was something I hadn't done in over half a century. I missed her so badly I was overwhelmed with grief.

My wife of fifty-one years died suddenly of a heart attack on July 1,2021. I now live alone in our old country house. Many little things are reminders of her. One example is the first time I laundered my bed clothes after her passing it occurred to me that making the bed up by myself was something I hadn't done in over half a century. I missed her so badly I was overwhelmed with grief.
God, that's recent. I lost my hubby October 4, 2020.

It became impossible to live in the home we owned, in the town we lived in. The memories were too painful.

My condolences to you. Hang in there and concentrate on things like a favorite photo. I have different sized copies of my favorite photo of hubby in every room of the house.

One thing that helps with the transition is keeping my hubby's favorite things around. I had crystals in the living room window so when the morning sun hit them, they threw rainbows all over the walls, and he loved those rainbows. So I had to hang them in the living room window of my new home, so I still get the rainbows every morning.

Oddly, out of all the humans I have lost, the only sense of loss is my dog. I dream of her every night. She's been gone 8 years. I have her ashes and her favorite toy.

Forum List

Back