Greatest sportsman of your times

Nosmo King

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2009
Buckle of the Rust Belt
My sainted Grandpa used to tell me about seeing Babe Ruth play. My sainted Pop told me tales of Joe DiMaggio. They considered them the greatest sportsmen/athletes/celebrity jocks of their time.

Then I got thinking who dominated in my day. Personally, I think Muhammad Ali filled the bill for a kid born in the mid fifties, coming of age and awareness in the mid sixties and into adulthood in the seventies. And this from a guy who hails from the Pittsburgh area! Sure, Roberto Clemente was a hero. Franco Harris and Jack Lambert were awesome. But Ali was by far the most celebrated athlete in my eyes.

Who was it for you? Michael Jordan? No NBA franchise in the Burgh so it was hard to follow his career and compare him to his contemporaries. Jack Nicklaus? Tiger? Joe Montana? Tell me who, why and when.

My sainted Grandpa used to tell me about seeing Babe Ruth play. My sainted Pop told me tales of Joe DiMaggio. They considered them the greatest sportsmen/athletes/celebrity jocks of their time.

Then I got thinking who dominated in my day. Personally, I think Muhammad Ali filled the bill for a kid born in the mid fifties, coming of age and awareness in the mid sixties and into adulthood in the seventies. And this from a guy who hails from the Pittsburgh area! Sure, Roberto Clemente was a hero. Franco Harris and Jack Lambert were awesome. But Ali was by far the most celebrated athlete in my eyes.

Who was it for you? Michael Jordan? No NBA franchise in the Burgh so it was hard to follow his career and compare him to his contemporaries. Jack Nicklaus? Tiger? Joe Montana? Tell me who, why and when.

I guess its how you define Sportsman. In my mind; the "sportsman" descriptor means that someone who excels at numerous sports. Dieon Sanders and Bo Jackson come to mind first. Russel Wilson (QB of the Seahawks) is an accomplished baseball player as well as a Pro-Bowl QB if I'm not mistaken.

If you're talking athlete; Micheal Phelps is probably the guy I'd pick. What, 28 medals? 23 World Records according to his Wikipedia page. Its probably not a close call using that barometer.

Now if you're talking success, Phelps again is probably the guy but converting that into commercial success is a different matter. Ali is probably the most marketed athlete ever just because of his longevity and status as the World's Heavyweight Champion. It used to be internationally revered. Now, the greatest "pound for pound" boxer is sort of the standard in boxing which, in and of itself, has lost it's luster.

Team sports are, I think, outside the description of the word "sportsman". If you put it into the context of excelling at one's position....Manning or Brady come to mind. I stick with these types of guys because the QB of an NFL team has so many calculations to make in 30 seconds and 4-11 guys who are trying to take his head off on every play.

I guess its how you define Sportsman. In my mind; the "sportsman" descriptor means that someone who excels at numerous sports. Dieon Sanders and Bo Jackson come to mind first. Russel Wilson (QB of the Seahawks) is an accomplished baseball player as well as a Pro-Bowl QB if I'm not mistaken.

If you're talking athlete; Micheal Phelps is probably the guy I'd pick. What, 28 medals? 23 World Records according to his Wikipedia page. Its probably not a close call using that barometer.

Now if you're talking success, Phelps again is probably the guy but converting that into commercial success is a different matter. Ali is probably the most marketed athlete ever just because of his longevity and status as the World's Heavyweight Champion. It used to be internationally revered. Now, the greatest "pound for pound" boxer is sort of the standard in boxing which, in and of itself, has lost it's luster.

Team sports are, I think, outside the description of the word "sportsman". If you put it into the context of excelling at one's position....Manning or Brady come to mind. I stick with these types of guys because the QB of an NFL team has so many calculations to make in 30 seconds and 4-11 guys who are trying to take his head off on every play.
I can see how Phelps can be admired for his outstanding accomplishments. But it's hard to argue swimmers. "Yeah, but you never saw Mark Spitz!" just isn't a come back you might hear.

I guess I'm asking who was the most celebrated athlete of your times. It's an ethereal quality, but one that could be made for Sanders or, especially Bo Jackson.

I'm a lifelong Steelers and Ohio State Buckeyes fan. While my teams had great quarterbacks, they really feature the running game. I went to school with two-time Heisman winner Archie Griffin so...

Larry Bird of the Boston Celtics in the 1980's
If you have some spare time look up the Youtube videos about him.
He is still regarded as the biggest trash talker ever in the NBA.
The things he said to other team's players during a game in order to get into their heads and destroy their confidence are classic comedy. ... :cool:

Last edited:

Agree, the definition is key.

For me, excelled at the sport and showed sportsmanship and class.

Hence my choice.

Maybe Cal Ripken Jr. 2nd to Payton for me. They worked hard, came to work, kicked total ass day in day out, respected their games and their opponents, achieved at a very high level and did it with some humility.

I can see how Phelps can be admired for his outstanding accomplishments. But it's hard to argue swimmers. "Yeah, but you never saw Mark Spitz!" just isn't a come back you might hear.

I guess I'm asking who was the most celebrated athlete of your times. It's an ethereal quality, but one that could be made for Sanders or, especially Bo Jackson.

I'm a lifelong Steelers and Ohio State Buckeyes fan. While my teams had great quarterbacks, they really feature the running game. I went to school with two-time Heisman winner Archie Griffin so...

Celebrated athlete...Probably Jordan. He's like Star Wars. He never goes away. Not that I want him to or anything but really.

As for Phelps, the records speak for themselves I would imagine. I'm sure there are some technological enhancements in terms of clothing and technique but it is essentially still just a man in the water competing against a clock.

Hence my choice.

Maybe Cal Ripken Jr. 2nd to Payton for me. They worked hard, came to work, kicked total ass day in day out, respected their games and their opponents, achieved at a very high level and did it with some humility.
Cal Ripken Jr.! Good call!

I ag

Celebrated athlete...Probably Jordan. He's like Star Wars. He never goes away. Not that I want him to or anything but really.

As for Phelps, the records speak for themselves I would imagine. I'm sure there are some technological enhancements in terms of clothing and technique but it is essentially still just a man in the water competing against a clock.
ree that individual sports really highlight athletic talents. Golfers, boxers, tennis players. The ethos is 'I can beat you at this' while being a good sport in the process.

Hence my choice.

Absolutely.

I never quite understood why Rickey Henderson wasn't more of a figure in sports.

Hall of Fame. Check
MVP. Check
World Series. Check Check
All Star. Check Check Check Check Check Check Check Check Check Check
3,000 Hits Check
300 Home Runs (almost) Check 81 of which came in the first at bat of the game if I recall reading it correctly.
1,400 Stolen Bases Check

But he was a screwball. As I recall, when he stole his 1,000th base or whatever it was, Nolan Ryan pitched his seventh (5/1/91) No Hitter and completely overshadowed him I thought it was poetic justice. Ryan could be a bit cocky but Henderson was an extreme screwball which is why he played for half of the teams in the majors.

I ag

ree that individual sports really highlight athletic talents. Golfers, boxers, tennis players. The ethos is 'I can beat you at this' while being a good sport in the process.

Don't know if it's true or not but here's an old story:

Sam Snead was playing a golf pro at a club. They bet $100.00. The pro beat Snead. Snead pulls out a $100 bill and hands it to the guy. The guy says, "Can you autograph it for me?" Snead says, "What for?" The golf pro says, "I want to frame it." Snead shoots back, great; I'll write you a check.

In terms of competition; I think all of the great ones have a little Sam Snead in them. I never saw him play or studied him much but as I understand it, he was careful with money and wasn't the most gracious loser.

Larry Bird of the Boston Celtics in the 1980's

Bird was great. It was such a different game back then. I used to have about 50 Celtics drinking glasses because back in the mid-80s a lot of local gas stations had promotions where you received a Celtics glass with every fill-up.

I ag

Sam Snead was playing a golf pro at a club. They bet $100.00. The pro beat Snead. Snead pulls out a $100 bill and hands it to the guy. The guy says, "Can you autograph it for me?" Snead says, "What for?" The golf pro says, "I want to frame it." Snead shoots back, great; I'll write you a check.

In terms of competition; I think all of the great ones have a little Sam Snead in them. I never saw him play or studied him much but as I understand it, he was careful with money and wasn't the most gracious loser.
As a kid I was lucky enough to see Sam Snead play in the PGA at Congressional in 1976. Even at his very advanced age his golf swing was gorgeous to watch. I saw him on the range warming up and marveled at how smooth and effortless he hit the ball and how it took off like a bullet. He had quite the life and yes he was old school ornry and a fierce competitor. And tremendous power in his younger days considering the crappy equipment he had.

I ag

As a kid I was lucky enough to see Sam Snead play in the PGA at Congressional in 1976. Even at his very advanced age his golf swing was gorgeous to watch. I saw him on the range warming up and marveled at how smooth and effortless he hit the ball and how it took off like a bullet. He had quite the life and yes he was old school ornry and a fierce competitor. And tremendous power in his younger days considering the crappy equipment he had.

I heard a story once that he competed in the British Open only one time because the expenses were so much more than the winnings.

I ag

I heard a story once that he competed in the British Open only one time because the expenses were so much more than the winnings.
That's true he only played once at St. Andrews in 1946 and won! That in itself is incredible. To play an unfamiliar links course and beat the greatest players in the world. He was so pissed at the $600 first prize because he spent much more on the trip and caddie fees he never went back. Which was a shame you'd have to think he would have won a couple more British Opens.

I ag

That's true he only played once at St. Andrews in 1946 and won! That in itself is incredible. To play an unfamiliar links course and beat the greatest players in the world. He was so pissed at the $600 first prize because he spent much more on the trip and caddie fees he never went back. Which was a shame you'd have to think he would have won a couple more British Opens.

It shows how much the sports landscape has changed; doesn't it? Not always for the better.

Forum List

Back