Greatest guitar solo of all time

But the greatest is about more than technique

Lol, I came SOOOO close to posting that video when you asked for a new one. I literally had YouTube open on that page, then remembered the Nuno Bettencourt solo. :laugh:

Those tricks that he is doing didnt exist in the 70s or 80s. I mean i guess they existed, but its been taken to a whole new level. Every generation is better than the last, generally speaking.

i doubt that stevie would agree with you. Hendrix himself said Terry Kath.

so who is better, Kath or SRV?

It would be nice to see Hendrix on stage with Stevie.

Truly master? I think you are way off on that one. Hendrix mastered the Strat, but more than that Hendrix mastered the sound of Heavy Metal blasted at full volume out of Marshall stacks using effects.

Hendrix, mastered tone, sound, distortion, feedback

No, Jimi was a gifted player, truly gifted. But he still needed time to attain perfection.

Time that he never had. Same as SRV.

It's like a fine whiskey. The 12 year is good. The 18 is outstanding, but the 25 is sublime.

Hendrix said Terry Kath because he didnt live long enough to meet the true guitar greats. No one before 1980 is anywhere close to the greatest guitar player. The greatest guitar players before the 80s were at best 7 out of 10 when it comes to technique by todays standards.

Yeah, but it isn't just technique that makes you great. It's a combination of technique, style, imagination, the ability to improvise on the fly, and of course, channeling that celestial music.

The one place that SRV truly shines is the improvisation and the channeling. He never got lost, no matter what he was playing he was always flowing.

Certainly Hendrix played the blues, voodoo child, slight return was not the blues.

Voodoo Chile, is a great Hendrix blues tune. Nothing Stevie does touched it

I disagree.

Again, its not a debate of "influence", its a debate of skill. Nuno Bettencourt doesnt have the advantage of killing himself with drugs at a young age to make him skyrocket in fame. Extremes music itself is also not mind blowing and therefore it is unable to exert influence on future generations.

Hendrix was famous IN HIS TIME.

ALL of the greats, Clapton, Beck, etc. flocked to Jimi's shows because he WAS the best in the world, at that time.

Pete Townshend took Clapton to one of Jimi's shows and left "shattered" as Pete relates it.

This is the best guitar solo from 2023. Extreme released this song this year. This solo has a million reaction videos for it. It went viral.

Hendrix could never even dream of doing this solo. Just click play and it takes you right to it.

It is a nice solo, nice song, but, Hendrix is way beyond Nuno

Lol, I came SOOOO close to posting that video when you asked for a new one. I literally had YouTube open on that page, then remembered the Nuno Bettencourt solo. :laugh:

Those tricks that he is doing didnt exist in the 70s or 80s. I mean i guess they existed, but its been taken to a whole new level. Every generation is better than the last, generally speaking.
Different yes, but better?

Yeah, but it isn't just technique that makes you great. It's a combination of technique, style, imagination, the ability to improvise on the fly, and of course, channeling that celestial music.

The one place that SRV truly shines is the improvisation and the channeling. He never got lost, no matter what he was playing he was always flowing.
I fully agree. Satriani can play better than just about all of them, but he lacks soul.

It is a nice solo, nice song, but, Hendrix is way beyond Nuno

No, absolutely not. There isnt a lick that Hendrix ever played that Nuno cant duplicate. Hendrix could NEVER do what Nuno does. Even if his life depended on it, Hendrix could not play this.

FWIW, there is a YouTube "star" named Rick Beato, a classically-trained musician who posts videos about popular music of different generations. He is a person whose opinion is one that should be taken seriously, especially when it comes to the skill levels of guitarists. Random people posting here, not so much. I have learned a lot of good information about the music that I enjoy by watching his videos.

I highly recommend his videos.

FWIW, there is a YouTube "star" named Rick Beato, a classically-trained musician who posts videos about popular music of different generations. He is a person whose opinion is one that should be taken seriously, especially when it comes to the skill levels of guitarists. Random people posting here, not so much. I have learned a lot of good information about the music that I enjoy by watching his videos.

I highly recommend his videos.

Why is his opinion valuable?

I have listened to a few of his videos. I am not overly impressed.

David fricke is another "expert" whose opinion I find next to worthless.

I fully agree. Satriani can play better than just about all of them, but he lacks soul.

Yes, it isn't just how technically brilliant you are. One of the most effective solos is Gilmores "Comfortably Numb" solo. Not overly technical, certainly not fast, but for that song it is the absolute best, and after decades of listening, it still raises goosebumps when I hear it.

Forum List

Back