Great shot of the comet Neowise.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
Is that Mt. Hood? Not sure, but what a shot.
COMET.jpg

Dont know if I'm just lucky or what but I've seen four comets/asteroids break up in the atmosphere close enough to actually hear them.
And this is without knowing about em before hand.
Scared the living shit out of me everytime!!!
Do you live in a remote area? That's amazing.

At the time no.
The most epic one I was living in a subdivision in Houston.
Walked outside to get the paper at around 4:AM and as I was walking down the driveway it came from right to left at about 40 foot,my perspective, over the neighbors house across the street.
It broke up right as it passed me and sounded louder than any thunder you'll ever hear.
Of course it set off every car alarm in the area and all the neighbors came out to see WTF just happened.
I was still standing there in my bathrobe with my jaw hanging.

Dont know if I'm just lucky or what but I've seen four comets/asteroids break up in the atmosphere close enough to actually hear them.

You must have been retty wasted bro.

Not at the time.
But I have seen the sunrise a few times after coke fueled parties.

You must have been pretty wasted bro.

Not at the time.

The sound of the birds is creepy

Not at the time.

You feeling alright?

Not at the time.

You feeling alright?

Yep. I meant when you stay up all night like that and the birds start making noise.

Not at the time.

You feeling alright?

Yep. I meant when you stay up all night like that and the birds start making noise.

LOL....nah,I used to get up that early everyday to go to work.
6:00AM to 3:00PM Loved it,no morning traffic and no afternoon traffic.
Made it easy to get up to go fishing at the crack of dawn as as well.

MarathonMike, thanks for starting this thread. I know I'm late to the party, but I love the NASA website, and found pictures of Neowise:
1594927902552.png

The picture had this caption and credits:​

Processed data from the WISPR instrument on NASA’s Parker Solar Probe shows greater detail in the twin tails of comet NEOWISE, as seen on July 5, 2020. The lower, broader tail is the comet’s dust tail, while the thinner, upper tail is the comet’s ion tail.
Credits: NASA/Johns Hopkins APL/Naval Research Lab/Parker Solar Probe/Guillermo Stenborg

More pictures at NASA website: Parker Solar Probe Spies Newly-Discovered Comet NEOWISE

Newsweek had the best info I could find today:

Not everyone gets to watch a comet in their lifetime, and certainly not a comet as rare as the Comet NEOWISE, which only appears once every 6,800 years.
The night sky definitely offers a range of rewards to those who regularly gaze up at the skies in the hope of understanding the great unknown. But with the Internet, it now means that any of us can get to see beautiful comets streak through the sky, with its splendid blaze of glory and light. The Comet NEOWISE is here now, visible in our skies, and if you're lucky enough, you might just be able to catch a glimpse of the comet over the next week.
While on its orbit, the comet comes across an area where it is visible from the Earth either through telescopes, binoculars, or even through your naked eyes in some cases. On the 3rd of July, the comet reached its perihelion, which is the point on the comet's orbit wherein it is the closest to the Sun. Continuing on its orbit, the comet then started its return journey to the outer Solar System. However, if you're only just learning about the comet, it might not be too late for you to catch a glimpse.
The comet is now on its way back to the Sun and will be passing over the Earth sometime around 22nd July. In the Northern hemisphere, the comet will be visible between 14 and 19 July approximately 90 minutes after sunset

MarathonMike, thanks for starting this thread. I know I'm late to the party, but I love the NASA website, and found pictures of Neowise:
View attachment 364057

Processed data from the WISPR instrument on NASA’s Parker Solar Probe shows greater detail in the twin tails of comet NEOWISE, as seen on July 5, 2020. The lower, broader tail is the comet’s dust tail, while the thinner, upper tail is the comet’s ion tail.
Credits: NASA/Johns Hopkins APL/Naval Research Lab/Parker Solar Probe/Guillermo Stenborg

More pictures at NASA website: Parker Solar Probe Spies Newly-Discovered Comet NEOWISE

Not everyone gets to watch a comet in their lifetime, and certainly not a comet as rare as the Comet NEOWISE, which only appears once every 6,800 years.
The night sky definitely offers a range of rewards to those who regularly gaze up at the skies in the hope of understanding the great unknown. But with the Internet, it now means that any of us can get to see beautiful comets streak through the sky, with its splendid blaze of glory and light. The Comet NEOWISE is here now, visible in our skies, and if you're lucky enough, you might just be able to catch a glimpse of the comet over the next week.
While on its orbit, the comet comes across an area where it is visible from the Earth either through telescopes, binoculars, or even through your naked eyes in some cases. On the 3rd of July, the comet reached its perihelion, which is the point on the comet's orbit wherein it is the closest to the Sun. Continuing on its orbit, the comet then started its return journey to the outer Solar System. However, if you're only just learning about the comet, it might not be too late for you to catch a glimpse.
The comet is now on its way back to the Sun and will be passing over the Earth sometime around 22nd July. In the Northern hemisphere, the comet will be visible between 14 and 19 July approximately 90 minutes after sunset

I loved making parts for the NASA Shuttle program.
Everytime it launched you knew something you made was going into space.

View attachment 364057

I loved making parts for the NASA Shuttle program.
Everytime it launched you knew something you made was going into space.
That's music to my ears, HereWeGoAgain. :thup:

Forum List

Back