Great Class

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
So, classes here at night school are somewhat different. Attendance is hit or miss, and some of the kids are just marking time because they want to eventually get that diploma. One of my periods had been fairly empty all year. Some nights completely so. I turn up today and suddenly the room is packed! I was surprised, but not unprepared. To get them into the groove, I started with a worksheet reviewing some very basic grammar. These are quite early emerging students in English, so it helps build confidence to go slow at least at first. I was very pleasantly surprised at how great this class turned out to be! The students - on their own accord - divided up into groups and started working through the problems together. They were on topic, supportive of each other, and eventually very accurate. Once in a while they needed a few things explained in Spanish, but for the most part the whole class was in English. I was very impressed.

So was this just a chance thing, or a new group of students that has entered night school?
At different times of the school year the numbers at day school and night school can fluctuate widely. When the weather starts getting warmer a lot of kids in day school take jobs during the day and so shift to night school.

So, classes here at night school are somewhat different. Attendance is hit or miss, and some of the kids are just marking time because they want to eventually get that diploma. One of my periods had been fairly empty all year. Some nights completely so. I turn up today and suddenly the room is packed! I was surprised, but not unprepared. To get them into the groove, I started with a worksheet reviewing some very basic grammar. These are quite early emerging students in English, so it helps build confidence to go slow at least at first. I was very pleasantly surprised at how great this class turned out to be! The students - on their own accord - divided up into groups and started working through the problems together. They were on topic, supportive of each other, and eventually very accurate. Once in a while they needed a few things explained in Spanish, but for the most part the whole class was in English. I was very impressed.
Reminds me of my military classes. We were often broken into groups to help each other.

This class is rapidly becoming my best class, bar none. They are coming at it from a much earlier achieving status, but they engage the work and each other with such enthusiasm and positivity you can't help but admire it.

Forum List

Back