Grateful in Any Circumstances

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
Good post Av. It is kind of amazing that we tend to blame God for everything and give Satan a pass. When we realize that it is God, holding our hand through any adversity, praising Him gets a little easier.

Joseph is a good example. Betrayed by his brothers, sold as a slave, falsely accused, jail, and yet no matter what his circumstances it was noticeable that he prospered regardless. And that his God was responsible. The result was Joseph in control over the land and the people he was sold to.

God never said He would prevent adversity, He said He'd get us through it. He never leaves our side.

Circumstances=Satan
Peace and prosperity regardless of circumstance=God.

Praise His name in the sunshine and the rain! He can get you through anything. :)

MY wife would get so mad when I was contracting, she could not understand why I would congradulate the winner of a contract...and wish them good will...

I think some people spend way too much time grousing about what others have that they don't have and what they are entitled to and owed. Good rule: there is always someone worse off than we are so we should be thankful for what we do have.

Having a sense of humor sure helps. It was driven into us as kids that "without a sense of humor, you're sunk".

Another positive aspect is to never envy others who are better off in any fashion, and to not covet others' material possessions wealth or status.

And it wasn't until my 40's when I was going through the most wretched time in my life that I came across a quote that totally changed my outlook on life... "every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home".

Just noticed this is in Religion and Ethics.
I'm not much on Religion any more, but ethics is something that is a very base quality in us humans.
Some have it, some don't. For whatever reason. It's a quality that is innate in some, and lost on others. It's a learned trait for some that is sometimes abandoned on a whim.

How could I not be grateful at this stage of my life, with four healthy successful kids and one cute-as-a-dickens grandson. My goal in life is to die broke while enriching the lives of others, for I've accumulated more real wealth than I'd ever dreamed possible.

I was reading this the other day and I realized how difficult it can be to be grateful in any circumstances.

I see beggars with no education, no hope of finding a job and homeless for life.
Every day, I'm grateful for my good luck.

Next time anyone feels sorry for themselves, watch this.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKTg_INHgpc]Nick Vujicic - No arms no legs no worries - look at yourself after watching this! - YouTube[/ame]

Work for the good daily where you can, particularly when it is not known.

Look to make others happy.

I know the following is an insurance commercial that many of us have seen but it speaks an eternal truth, be unanxiously engaged (anxiously means point scoring instead of just doing) to do good. Every day will give each of us opportunities. The more we do, the more we will see what we can do, and we will beget and receive happiness.

Last edited by a moderator:
The less fortunate are the catalyst for making people better. A gift from God.

The less fortunate are the catalyst for making people better. A gift from God.

Thank you for that. Some on the Board are like that for me. I will start treating them as gifts to do better.

I started cultivating a habit of gratitude a few years ago when I went through some difficult circumstances. It made a huge difference in my life when I would spend a few minutes each day reminding myself of everything I had to be grateful for.

Good post Av. It is kind of amazing that we tend to blame God for everything and give Satan a pass. When we realize that it is God, holding our hand through any adversity, praising Him gets a little easier.

Joseph is a good example. Betrayed by his brothers, sold as a slave, falsely accused, jail, and yet no matter what his circumstances it was noticeable that he prospered regardless. And that his God was responsible. The result was Joseph in control over the land and the people he was sold to.

God never said He would prevent adversity, He said He'd get us through it. He never leaves our side.

Circumstances=Satan
Peace and prosperity regardless of circumstance=God.

Praise His name in the sunshine and the rain! He can get you through anything. :)

I cannot imagine blaming a god or satan for anything. Nor do either of them get any credit. I live my life, I make decisions, I act and react.

I am responsible for what I do well, good, right, badly, wrong.

IMO, that's what adults do.

I started cultivating a habit of gratitude a few years ago when I went through some difficult circumstances. It made a huge difference in my life when I would spend a few minutes each day reminding myself of everything I had to be grateful for.

Yes. There is never a day go by that I don't feel glad and happy for the life I have. But, I don't feel gratitude because there is no one to thank.

Forum List

Back