Government of the people, by the people...Really?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Can anyone name a major state issue that wasn't decided via donations but instead by individual letters and phone calls and emails from constiuents? Are we really saying with straight faces our state congresspersons and "leaders" are doing things on their constiuents' behalf and not on th ebehalf of major campaign donors?

We are not a nation with leaders acting on our behalf. Maybe we never were and this is just by-design, but I like to think the Founders broke away from the monarchistic model for a reason. And that while business played its part even then, what it's doing now in government is not what the Founders had in mind or would approve of if they could comment.

It's my opinion state and federal politicians are nothing more than public face scapegoats. They agree to take all the blame for everything that happens while the campaign donors quietly funnel massive amounts of money into secret bank accounts and have them make laws which benefit their businesses and interests while individual citizens get screwed with their pants on at every turn.

Who wins a congressional seat only matters insofar as their donors then get their way. But since donors donate to both parties, how much does it matter in the end? Who the President is means even less as they don't get to vote on laws at all. Still have have pointless wars regardless of which party's in power or who sits in the big chairs. Participatory democracy is a sick joke designed it seems just to make revolutions less likely. If people think they have some effect on things they submit and tolerate even huge screwings, whereas if they don't have a say their good humor and patience is much less.

Caught an old episode of the Simpsons recently where Lisa loses faith in the government seeing a shady birbery thing go down and when some aide overhears her talking about her loss of faith makes a call about it and within minutes the corrupt politician's arrested and everything's right in the world again. It brought tears to my eyes because it's a complete fantasy.

Forum List

Back