GOP working on legislation to strip Twitter of federal liability protections

I don’t disagree with you. Twitter and social media will go out of business if they go wild censuring innocuous statements or every controversial comment.

Despite my defending Twitter in this case, I have no great love for social media. I think it is a bane on civilized society. My issue is purely a legal issue of removing legal immunity just from them. Remove it from all social media then. I have a problem with legislative immunity in general anyway. Take it away from social media then take it away from the gun industry or any other industry that benefits from exemptions for the sake of profits.
Let the people decide via juries if they are liable.
The gun manufacturing immunity is strictly to prevent malicious litigation.

No manufacturer of a firearm should be responsible for the criminal use of their device. That is not the intent of tort law. That is only a protection against politically-motivated frivolous litigation aimed at maliciously destroying the industry, which is not only an abuse of the litigation process, but a national security risk (the military needs arms manufacturers).

They still have liability for defective design and manufacturing.

All sites have terms of service, including this one. Violate those terms and they can expel you and you have no legal recourse. I have not read Twitter’s TOS but they may be in their rights to censure Trump. Does unequal enforcement of the TOS equal an actionable event, I.e. a law suit? I am not sure probably not. My feeling is that Trump has been given more leeway than the average Twitter user, but I really don’y know if that is accurate.
Thanks for your 'feeling'; however, again, the Govyt should not be in the business of handing out 302 protections to social media monopolies who misrepresent who they are and what they do, who censure and silence the free and equal exchange of ideas - which is what they claim they do.

Let Twitter operate how they want without those govt protections just like so many hundreds of thousands of privately owned businesses do every day in this country.
I agree let’s remove all legislative immunities from all industries.

Sorry, but if we remove side/effect-reaction immunities from vaccine manufacturers no one will make the vaccines.
You make a good argument about vaccines. I think those engaged in trial vaccines though have to sign documents assuming the risk of death or injury if the vaccine does not work or causes harm.

National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act - Wikipedia

why do they have to act fairly?

They don't. The govt also does not have to give them special protection from consequences from how they run their business.

I agree if they repeal social media immunity let’s also repeal the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act that gives gun dealers and manufactures immunity from civil suits. Deal? What is the difference ?

Nope. That law is because you assholes want to attempt an end run around the constitution by putting all firearm manufacturers out of business.

and gun owners can still be sued if their product fails due to negligence in the manufacturing process, just like any other manufacturer. What is prevented is suing them for the actions of others when their product works as intended.

It would be like suing Ford if a drunk driver used an Explorer to kill 30 people by driving into a crowd, even if the car functioned properly.

The OP says government should not give businesses special protections. The question is he a hypocrite, I.e. legislative immunity only a-plies to business he approves or, or does he apply this standard to all businesses.

In this case we just want twitter to be fair. In the case of the gun manufacturers the purpose is to run them out of business under the logic of "if no one makes guns, no one can get guns"
As far as I am concerned I have no great love for social media. I think it is all a bane on society. I have a problem with most legislative immunities with all businesses whether it is the gun industry, energy com

They don't. The govt also does not have to give them special protection from consequences from how they run their business.

I agree if they repeal social media immunity let’s also repeal the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act that gives gun dealers and manufactures immunity from civil suits. Deal? What is the difference ?

Nope. That law is because you assholes want to attempt an end run around the constitution by putting all firearm manufacturers out of business.

and gun owners can still be sued if their product fails due to negligence in the manufacturing process, just like any other manufacturer. What is prevented is suing them for the actions of others when their product works as intended.

It would be like suing Ford if a drunk driver used an Explorer to kill 30 people by driving into a crowd, even if the car functioned properly.

The OP says government should not give businesses special protections. The question is he a hypocrite or does he apply this standard to all businesses.

I am saying that Twitter doesn't deserve 230 protection anymore, but gun manufacturers shouldn't be sued if their product works as intended. Two different issues, but you attempt to link them in a gotcha attempt.

Sorry, doesn't fly.
Isn’t social media working as intended? A platform to air one’s views is exactly its purpose. Congress just can’t take immunity from one company and leave it place for others. It would need to repeal the law in its entirety. Say good bye to forums like this and Social media.

Why not? The standard is the law protects sites that allow private content from private individuals. Twitter had decided to control the content beyond the standard controls for vulgarity and actual criminal activities. furthermore, they have decided to unequally control the content, yet still claim to be a public forum.
All sites have terms of service, including this one. Violate those terms and they can expel you and you have no legal recourse. I have not read Twitter’s TOS but they may be in their rights to censure Trump. Does unequal enforcement of the TOS equal an actionable event, I.e. a law suit? I am not sure probably not. My feeling is that Trump has been given more leeway than the average Twitter user, but I really don’y know if that is accurate.

I care less about Trump and more about normal people being banned because they say things like a man is a man and a woman is a woman. If you think something that banal is "hate speech" then you either are a queefing spineless wussy, or just don't like hearing things you disagree with.

Their"rules" call themself a public forum, and they do call out bad behaviors, however they don't enforce the rules they set equally or fairly, while claiming they do.

230 protection loss would force them to admit this, nothing more.
I don’t disagree with you. Twitter and social media will go out of business if they go wild censuring innocuous statements or every controversial comment.

Despite my defending Twitter in this case, I have no great love for social media. I think it is a bane on civilized society. My issue is purely a legal issue of removing legal immunity just from them. Remove it from all social media then. I have a problem with legislative immunity in general anyway. Take it away from social media then take it away from the gun industry or any other industry that benefits from exemptions for the sake of profits.

Again, the gun industry protections only protect them if their product WORKS AS INTENDED. It was needed because gun control zealots decided to do end runs around the 2nd amendment, and local judges who are also gun control zealots were allowing bullshit lawsuits to proceed, thus costing the manufacturers just to defend said bullshit lawsuits.

A gun manufacturer can still be sued if their product is defective, like any other manufacturer in any other industry.

Even lawsuit protections given to vaccine manufacturers only protects them from lawsuits due to side effects/reactions, if they fucked up the manufacturing process they can still be sued.
Your argument is exactly why the immunity exists for the gun industry. But it is the essentially the same argument why all industries seek legislative immunity: to prevent lawsuits.

In this case it prevents frivolous lawsuits that try to use tort law to provide compensation for a malfunctioning product to create false liability for a properly functioning product.

They are trying to sue Ford because of Drunk driving, not because the breaks were defective due to a design flaw.
There is no doubt there are frivolous lawsuits. There are remedies for those that include sanctions against the lawyer and counter suits.

The OP says government should not give businesses special protections. The question is he a hypocrite, I.e. legislative immunity only a-plies to business he approves or, or does he apply this standard to all businesses.

In this case we just want twitter to be fair. In the case of the gun manufacturers the purpose is to run them out of business under the logic of "if no one makes guns, no one can get guns"
As far as I am concerned I have no great love for social media. I think it is all a bane on society. I have a problem with most legislative immunities with all businesses whether it is the gun industry, energy com

The OP says government should not give businesses special protections. The question is he a hypocrite or does he apply this standard to all businesses.

I am saying that Twitter doesn't deserve 230 protection anymore, but gun manufacturers shouldn't be sued if their product works as intended. Two different issues, but you attempt to link them in a gotcha attempt.

Sorry, doesn't fly.
Isn’t social media working as intended? A platform to air one’s views is exactly its purpose. Congress just can’t take immunity from one company and leave it place for others. It would need to repeal the law in its entirety. Say good bye to forums like this and Social media.

Why not? The standard is the law protects sites that allow private content from private individuals. Twitter had decided to control the content beyond the standard controls for vulgarity and actual criminal activities. furthermore, they have decided to unequally control the content, yet still claim to be a public forum.

I care less about Trump and more about normal people being banned because they say things like a man is a man and a woman is a woman. If you think something that banal is "hate speech" then you either are a queefing spineless wussy, or just don't like hearing things you disagree with.

Their"rules" call themself a public forum, and they do call out bad behaviors, however they don't enforce the rules they set equally or fairly, while claiming they do.

230 protection loss would force them to admit this, nothing more.

Again, the gun industry protections only protect them if their product WORKS AS INTENDED. It was needed because gun control zealots decided to do end runs around the 2nd amendment, and local judges who are also gun control zealots were allowing bullshit lawsuits to proceed, thus costing the manufacturers just to defend said bullshit lawsuits.

A gun manufacturer can still be sued if their product is defective, like any other manufacturer in any other industry.

Even lawsuit protections given to vaccine manufacturers only protects them from lawsuits due to side effects/reactions, if they fucked up the manufacturing process they can still be sued.
Your argument is exactly why the immunity exists for the gun industry. But it is the essentially the same argument why all industries seek legislative immunity: to prevent lawsuits.

In this case it prevents frivolous lawsuits that try to use tort law to provide compensation for a malfunctioning product to create false liability for a properly functioning product.

They are trying to sue Ford because of Drunk driving, not because the breaks were defective due to a design flaw.
There is no doubt there are frivolous lawsuits. There are remedies for those that include sanctions against the lawyer and counter suits.

Those rarely happen. The strategy of the gun control people was to sue as much as they could, blanket the manufacturers with lawsuits, and make gun manufacturing non-profitable. It had nothing to do with any actual defect with regards to the product.

What was happening is that they were only suing in States and Federal Districts they knew had sympathetic judges, who refused to throw out the lawsuits, thus creating large costs for the manufacturers to defend themselves.

Thanks for your 'feeling'; however, again, the Govyt should not be in the business of handing out 302 protections to social media monopolies who misrepresent who they are and what they do, who censure and silence the free and equal exchange of ideas - which is what they claim they do.

Let Twitter operate how they want without those govt protections just like so many hundreds of thousands of privately owned businesses do every day in this country.
I agree let’s remove all legislative immunities from all industries.

Sorry, but if we remove side/effect-reaction immunities from vaccine manufacturers no one will make the vaccines.
You make a good argument about vaccines. I think those engaged in trial vaccines though have to sign documents assuming the risk of death or injury if the vaccine does not work or causes harm.

National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act - Wikipedia
That was a good law. I have no issue with it.

IMO subsidies and / or government protections should not be given to companies that engage in trampling on Freedom of Speech. Yes, Twitter (and Facebook) is a privately owned and run company and can operate as they see fit ... but they can do so without tax dollars or protections from a government that supports and defends the Constitution which affords the right of Freedom of Speech to all Americans.

I forget who on this forum said this, but I agree...Facebook and Twitter should be broken up. They have too much power. They are "too big to fail". JMO

sn.PNG

Trump is a reckless, irresponsible authoritarian who has nothing but contempt for the rule of law, our democratic institutions, and the Constitution.

And Trump’s enablers are just as authoritarian and have the same contempt for the rule of law, our democratic institutions, and the Constitution.
He is an authoritarian, but don't sit there and pretend the opposition is NOT worse.

LOL, he is much more than just an authoritarian, he's a megalomaniac who really believes laws are for others, and he is above the law.
and, yet, has no monopoly on such an attitude. Need examples?

Not from you, any example would be an example of your biases.

I suppose the First Amendment only limits The Congress to obey the First Amendment, and once again Donald Trump believes he is above the law, even when that law it not statutory, but number one in the Bill of Rights. What next, locking up those who criticize him with no regards to the 4th, 5th and 6th articles in the Bill of Rights?
So when the media spreads lies about him it's okay, but it's not okay for him to go after them?

When the lame street media went after Obama, the First Lady famously said, "when they go low, we go high". Nobody can go as low as dumb donald, the most vindictive turd to ever float in a punch bowl.
Obama, they bring a knife we bring a gun. Oh and Michelle stated, she wasn't proud to be an American till Barry was elected. Letting us know he hatred for America. Also Obama ran on transforming America.

I'm not proud to be an American, when 30% of our citizens - you included - are bigots, and most of them support Trump. Only when we all support and defend the Mission Statement left to us by the framers, outlined in the Preamble, will I be proud to be an American.

so, is it okay for the govt to tell the USMB Moderators and site owners what rules they make for this site or to hold USMB owners libel for what their posters, post?

They won't since this forum is a PLATFORM, Mods delete when certain debate rules are violated. I had THREE postings deleted (Reported them) yesterday because it violated the forum rule of attacking family members (No Attacks on family members) , my wife in this case, he was very insulting and completely off topic.

Moderators can delete or ban or permaban any message or members they want on USMB, at their discretion....it does not have to break the rules....

Did Trump's tweet, violate twitter's rules, as they claim??

But they aren't publishing inside, against your comments. They react to rule breaking nothing more.

You ignored post 95 that explains why Twitter made a huge mistake in their reaction to one of his NON Rule breaking comments.
HAVENT READ 95 YET, but the news reported that the tweet of trump's did break their rules?

my problem is why haven't they corrected or added information to ALL of his fake news and lies? Or ban him for his lies and threats before?

Because they would have to act accordingly for all the other twitter users who provide misleading information. That is about 99% of all twitter users. Twitter would no longer exist as a company.

It's a Forum, who says Twitter mods can't express what they want, when they want on their own forum?

Can we get govt to shut this USMB Forum down because we don't like what actions USMB Moderators take?

No!

So, what is all this whining and snow flaking all about?? Eh?

Distraction?
Free campaigning getting the news to cover his whining and govt abuse of power instead of his covid failures? Instead of 100000 deaths in just 2 months being discussed?

And y'all praise him? What has this Trump world come to? Your hatred for America is great.... :(
Regulation 230 says it, moron.

I suppose the First Amendment only limits The Congress to obey the First Amendment, and once again Donald Trump believes he is above the law, even when that law it not statutory, but number one in the Bill of Rights. What next, locking up those who criticize him with no regards to the 4th, 5th and 6th articles in the Bill of Rights?
So when the media spreads lies about him it's okay, but it's not okay for him to go after them?

When the lame street media went after Obama, the First Lady famously said, "when they go low, we go high". Nobody can go as low as dumb donald, the most vindictive turd to ever float in a punch bowl.
Obama, they bring a knife we bring a gun. Oh and Michelle stated, she wasn't proud to be an American till Barry was elected. Letting us know he hatred for America. Also Obama ran on transforming America.

I'm not proud to be an American, when 30% of our citizens - you included - are bigots, and most of them support Trump. Only when we all support and defend the Mission Statement left to us by the framers, outlined in the Preamble, will I be proud to be an American.
How special, you fixing to find out just how corrupt your messiah is. Trump is doing his job as our president. While you loons are trying to undermine him 24/7. This latest hoax you loons pulled off, ruined thousands of lives. All because you lost an election.

"CONGRESS SHALL MAKE NO LAWS", APPARENTLY TRUMP BELIEVES HE CAN MAKE LAWS TO DEFEND HIS SELF IMPOSED RIGHT TO DEFAME ANYONE WHO WON'T KISS HIS FAT ASS. THE FREE PRESS IS FREE TO USE EDITORIALS AS THEY SEE FIT, AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T YELL FIRE IN A CROWD.

TRUMP'S USE OF FAKE NEWS HAS BECOME ANOTHER BIG LIE USED BY THE FIREBRAND CONSERVATIVES TO INDOCTRINATE EASILY LED FOOLS TO SUPPORT THEIR FORM OF CONSERVATISM, THAT IS TO DESTROY OUR DEMOCRATIC STRUCTURE; TO SUPPORT A PLUTOCRACY, AND AN EXECUTIVE AND JUDICIARY STAR CHAMBER. THEREIN IS THE DEEP STATE, RUN BY TRUMP, PENCE, BARR, McCONNELL AND THE ILL-NAMED FREEDOM CAUCUS.

"CONGRESS SHALL MAKE NO LAWS", APPARENTLY TRUMP BELIEVES HE CAN MAKE LAWS TO DEFEND HIS SELF IMPOSED RIGHT TO DEFAME ANYONE WHO WON'T KISS HIS FAT ASS. THE FREE PRESS IS FREE TO USE EDITORIALS AS THEY SEE FIT, AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T YELL FIRE IN A CROWD.

TRUMP'S USE OF FAKE NEWS HAS BECOME ANOTHER BIG LIE USED BY THE FIREBRAND CONSERVATIVES TO INDOCTRINATE EASILY LED FOOLS TO SUPPORT THEIR FORM OF CONSERVATISM, THAT IS TO DESTROY OUR DEMOCRATIC STRUCTURE; TO SUPPORT A PLUTOCRACY, AND AN EXECUTIVE AND JUDICIARY STAR CHAMBER. THEREIN IS THE DEEP STATE, RUN BY TRUMP, PENCE, BARR, McCONNELL AND THE ILL-NAMED FREEDOM CAUCUS.
Ok show me the quote where Trump directly told Americans to inject bleach.

How special, you fixing to find out just how corrupt your messiah is. Trump is doing his job as our president. While you loons are trying to undermine him 24/7. This latest hoax you loons pulled off, ruined thousands of lives. All because you lost an election.

Trump is NOT doing his job. Unless in your opinion dividing the nation into tribes, profiting from his office and giving people like you to come out of the closet and express your hatred and intolerance for minorties, women and democracy. Those are not the jobs of a President of the United States.

The "mission statement" says you have a right to be a bigot, moron. I'm not proud to share a country with Stalinist morons like you.

Metaphorically; I never said he did. Trump is cunning but not very smart. His response and rhetoric to Covid-19 has been all about him; not for the safety of you or your family, or the dead and the grieving families.

Trump is NOT doing his job. Unless in your opinion dividing the nation into tribes, profiting from his office and giving people like you to come out of the closet and express your hatred and intolerance for minorties, women and democracy. Those are not the jobs of a President of the United States.
You loons are splitting America with your hatred. Also tell me specifically how Trump is profiting from his office. Trump is a great president, it's not my fault liberals turn into babies when you don't get your way.
59574108_2221027804610796_5901393766031294464_n.jpg

proxy-2.jpg

101720236_10157338606983123_3287414676127744000_n.jpg

Metaphorically; I never said he did. Trump is cunning but not very smart. His response and rhetoric to Covid-19 has been all about him; not for the safety of you or your family, or the dead and the grieving families.
What else should have he done? He did what Fauci your darling told him to do.

You either haven't watched his dog and pony shows or you are lying. He has contradicted the Medical Professionals and he has put our nation's citizens in harms way.

You either haven't watched his dog and pony shows or you are lying. He has contradicted the Medical Professionals and he has put our nation's citizens in harms way.
Not a specific thing of how his is profiting. Seems like your guy Fauci wants to become rich off this virus.
99098331_10216624063409687_9174388793837355008_n.jpg

Wonder how much he is getting paid for believing like that?

Forum List

Back