GOP sets up huge target for budget ax

We have to start somewhere.

If the Republicans have the fortitude to cut spending, we should support it.

If the Democrats didn't, that's something the Democratic base should address to it's leadership.

If the Democrats didn't, that's something the Democratic base should address to it's leadership.

It depends what they cut, and how. If they're not going to touch the biggest single problem, then they're just as corrupt and just as wussy as the Dems were, and they're not going to get the results they promise.

They know this going in, and are going to do it anyway. Which makes them cynical hypocrites too. I'm no fan of either party right now, the Dems have been a major disappointment but I see the GOP doing no better. They're just trying to sell shinola as a "solution".

Sorry, I'm all for cutting spending and getting the budget under control. But I want to see it done right. What they're proposing won't do a thing, and the problem isn't that they have to start somewhere - it's that they know it, and they plan on never going there at all.

in other words, they have no intention of cutting anything that would actually have an effect.

In the story they said everything else would take an average cut of 20%.

Taking things back to 2008 levels

There was still almost a half trillion dollar deficit in 2008. Not good enough.

They didn't touch it for the same reason the Repubilcans won't, and they were wrong too. There's too much pork, too much patronage and too much emotion tied up in military expenditures.

can you imagine if the democrats tried to cut the military budget. i can just hear them screaming about how the dems are supporting terrorists and weaking the country.

maybe if they stopped using that as a litmus test??

Meh, and they screamed it anyway. Why should what a loud relative fringe of whackaloons choose to scream have any effect on actual governing? If it's not that they'll just scream about something else. Like Kenyan birth certificates. Hell with 'em.

The real deal is about pork, pork, pork.

Squeecky wheel and all that.

The DoD isn't just about pork. It's the only way for government to create private sector jobs.

Everything our military uses was built by a civilian working for other civilians.

That does not excuse price gouging and spending money on things we don't need, or impoving things that don't need to be made better, just to replace them.

can you imagine if the democrats tried to cut the military budget. i can just hear them screaming about how the dems are supporting terrorists and weaking the country.

Meh, and they screamed it anyway. Why should what a loud relative fringe of whackaloons choose to scream have any effect on actual governing? If it's not that they'll just scream about something else. Like Kenyan birth certificates. Hell with 'em.

it shouldn't. but it does. and the dems are wusses for not punching the bullies in the face.

it is about pork. it's also about stupid policies... like cutting taxes during wartime and giving tax breaks for off-shoring.

corporate welfare is a killer.

All welfare kills.

It removes the need to be responsible and held accountable for your actions and in-actions.

The DoD isn't just about pork. It's the only way for government to create private sector jobs.

Everything our military uses was built by a civilian working for other civilians.

That does not excuse price gouging and spending money on things we don't need, or impoving things that don't need to be made better, just to replace them.

DoD isn't the only way for government to create private sector jobs. Infrastructure projects are another. And two years ago, if I were the incoming president, the first thing i'd have done is create jobs project after jobs project ... all with huge signs in front of them saying... 'your federal tax dollars at work'... instead of the giving in to the tax cut noise...

it shouldn't. but it does. and the dems are wusses for not punching the bullies in the face.

it is about pork. it's also about stupid policies... like cutting taxes during wartime and giving tax breaks for off-shoring.

All welfare kills.

It removes the need to be responsible and held accountable for your actions and in-actions.

welfare should be a leg up, not a handout.

but to do that, we'd have to make it so people don't have to pay back what they got once they're employed; the programs would have to be time-limited; we'd have to provide day care so single mothers could get on their feet workwise...and job training programs...

but people won't do that.

Then create jobs. By awarding contracts on a strictly competitive bass in a transparent and efficient manner, not slipping them to companies with powerful Congressmen and agreeing to any old price they feel like naming in a contract.

Inflated prices are pork. Special tax breaks and corporate handouts for corporations with ties to powerful lobbies or individual politicians are pork. Buying things we don't need, whether that's $300 bronze screwdrivers or entire weapons systems, is, if you look past the surface, usually pork. The Pentagon isn't the only part of government that oinks, but it's the biggest. I'd hop on over to Ag next, and on down the list. But you'll never balance the budget without addressing that pork.

They didn't touch it for the same reason the Repubilcans won't, and they were wrong too. There's too much pork, too much patronage and too much emotion tied up in military expenditures.

You mean exactly like the Democrats are going to scream that Republicans hate the poor and minorities and want them to starve and die.

Pot, meet kettle.

I don't believe the Republicans want the poor and minorities to starve and die. I'm sure they simply want them to know their place, be happy with what they have and not make demands for better working conditions, higher wages or affordable health care.

in other words, they have no intention of cutting anything that would actually have an effect.

In the story they said everything else would take an average cut of 20%.

Taking things back to 2008 levels

There was still almost a half trillion dollar deficit in 2008. Not good enough.

Oh yeah, we have a LONG way to go for anyone to claim fiscal responsibility.

When the debt/def goes down one dollar, that's when someone can claim victory, and can push too move thier ideas forward.

I love your sig line

The Law of Unintended Consequinces in motion (literally)

DoD isn't the only way for government to create private sector jobs. Infrastructure projects are another. And two years ago, if I were the incoming president, the first thing i'd have done is create jobs project after jobs project ... all with huge signs in front of them saying... 'your federal tax dollars at work'... instead of the giving in to the tax cut noise...

Absolutely. If we were going to do the stimulus at all, we should have devoted 80% of it at least to replacing and upgrading infrastructure.

I thought he did. Isn't that what all the spending bills were about?

It didn't work. All it did was get union members more work and the people that didn't have or lost jobs were SOL. And still are.

I'm a conservative and favor a strong military for a variety of reasons, but the DoD budget is a prime place to cut billions of wasted dollars without affecting the overall effectiveness of our forces.

Our politicians - both parties - have to get serious about it though before any meaningful savings will be realized. That means, for example, canceling production of planes and ships the Navy and AF don't even need but pols insist be made because it helps companies/workers in their states or districts. They're all in favor of cuts as long as they happen in someone else's backyard.

It depends what they cut, and how. If they're not going to touch the biggest single problem, then they're just as corrupt and just as wussy as the Dems were, and they're not going to get the results they promise.

They know this going in, and are going to do it anyway. Which makes them cynical hypocrites too. I'm no fan of either party right now, the Dems have been a major disappointment but I see the GOP doing no better. They're just trying to sell shinola as a "solution".

Sorry, I'm all for cutting spending and getting the budget under control. But I want to see it done right. What they're proposing won't do a thing, and the problem isn't that they have to start somewhere - it's that they know it, and they plan on never going there at all.

If the Republicans make significant cuts, that's a step in the right direction, regardless of whether they cut the military or not.

We can always revisit the military budget in the future.

The Democrats, whose base supports cutting the military, didn't have the political will to brandish the ax.

It's unfair to expect the Republicans, whose base opposes reducing the military's budget, to pursue that course initially.

It didn't work. All it did was get union members more work and the people that didn't have or lost jobs were SOL. And still are.

no that isn't what the bill did. in fact, the 'stimulus' was more tax cut than anything else.

you see a high speed train being built? you see roads being done?

as for the stimulus not working... they did a half-assed job b/c he thought he'd play nice with the right. but it worked to the extent that everyone agrees that it kept things from being way worse.

Actually, a large chunk of the stimulus money earmarked for transportation and infrastructure went to the Department of Defense. Most of the rest went for direct Federal spending in maintenance or to purchase items for, as one example, border guards. Only a relatively small portion was set aside for things like road or water projects.

The Stimulus Plan: A Detailed List of Spending - ProPublica

And the tax cuts breakdown:

The Stimulus Plan: The Tax Cuts - ProPublica

Then we should figure out a better way to create those jobs. DoD is a one way street and if the hardware isn't used people start screaming about waste. Hence the cavalcade of ridiculous military action.

If we are going to waste that kind of money..it should be done on something that might really benefit us in the end..like space travel.

All welfare kills.

welfare should be a leg up, not a handout.

but to do that, we'd have to make it so people don't have to pay back what they got once they're employed; the programs would have to be time-limited; we'd have to provide day care so single mothers could get on their feet workwise...and job training programs...

but people won't do that.

I've been saying that for decades! And evertime, every single last time, I talk about that I'm called a racist. So I gave up.

Hunger is a great motivator, and hungry kids an even better motivator.

The hand outs keep the truly poor, on a short leash. For decades I've said cut the hand outs and put money into helping people get some actual job training, and start doing that at 16. School, books, class rooms, teachers that teach a subject w/o deep knowlege of it's use turn many kids off.

Honestly. How much formal education do you need to be a plummer, carpenter, or a mechanic? And why do you have to be 18 to wait to go to school for these trades?

Forum List

Back