GOP loyalty oath?

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012
GOP loyalty oath proposal in Virginia may signal trouble for Donald Trump

RICHMOND — The Virginia Republican Party is considering requiring a loyalty oath from presidential primary contenders — a move widely considered an early sign of GOP skittishness about Donald Trump’s campaign.

State party officials are debating whether to require candidates to pledge their support to the eventual nominee and promise not to run as a third-party candidate — as Trump has hinted he might do.

The development could be an early sign of trouble for Trump, particularly if other state parties consider similar ideas. But it also is being debated cautiously by Republicans who worry that it could backfire and breed resentment among activists who are suspicious of attempts by the GOP establishment to control the party.

Most of all, the idea — which began to circulate the morning after the first GOP debate, when Trump indicated that he wouldn’t rule out an independent run — signals growing concern about the businessman, who has electrified the Republican field with his flamboyant and controversial candidacy.

Particularly in the key swing state of Virginia, which most Republicans think they must win to take the White House, Trump’s potential as a third-party spoiler should he not win the nomination makes some leaders nervous.

RICHMOND — The Virginia Republican Party is considering requiring a loyalty oath from presidential primary contenders — a move widely considered an early sign of GOP skittishness about Donald Trump’s campaign.

State party officials are debating whether to require candidates to pledge their support to the eventual nominee and promise not to run as a third-party candidate — as Trump has hinted he might do.

The development could be an early sign of trouble for Trump, particularly if other state parties consider similar ideas. But it also is being debated cautiously by Republicans who worry that it could backfire and breed resentment among activists who are suspicious of attempts by the GOP establishment to control the party.

Most of all, the idea — which began to circulate the morning after the first GOP debate, when Trump indicated that he wouldn’t rule out an independent run — signals growing concern about the businessman, who has electrified the Republican field with his flamboyant and controversial candidacy.

Particularly in the key swing state of Virginia, which most Republicans think they must win to take the White House, Trump’s potential as a third-party spoiler should he not win the nomination makes some leaders nervous.

Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it. ~Mark Twain

man oh man, we've heard this same crap ever damn election.

and look where it's coming from: the DNC WashingtonCOMPOST

I do believe that is an attempt for the Republican Establishment to control the election of the nominee. That's against free will. It could make Trump even more popular which is not what the party wants. Other candidates cannot get their messages out now for the optimum press Trump is getting.

I think it would be reasonable for a state to keep a candidate off the ballot in such situations. It is a matter of character that if one pursues a path of success within a political party's primary and the person falls short of success, he or she should accept the consequences. I'd go further and would limit party debates only to candidates giving oath to support the party's candidate. I found Trump's response to the open question of the debate to be beyond even Hillary-ish. A more appropriate answer would have been to express support to the candidate capturing the most delegates through the primary process and state that he expects to be that candidate. Instead the way it came off was typical Trump, he played the part of the spoiled brat who pouts if things don't go his way.

I'll vote for him if he wins the nomination with hope that I'm wrong about him, but over-all I see only dire consequences coming from his candidacy.

I think it would be reasonable for a state to keep a candidate off the ballot in such situations. It is a matter of character that if one pursues a path of success within a political party's primary and the person falls short of success, he or she should accept the consequences. I'd go further and would limit party debates only to candidates giving oath to support the party's candidate. I found Trump's response to the open question of the debate to be beyond even Hillary-ish. A more appropriate answer would have been to express support to the candidate capturing the most delegates through the primary process and state that he expects to be that candidate. Instead the way it came off was typical Trump, he played the part of the spoiled brat who pouts if things don't go his way.

I'll vote for him if he wins the nomination with hope that I'm wrong about him, but over-all I see only dire consequences coming from his candidacy.
Well, the way I see it, Trump was just being honest. He let everyone know he was here to stay, one way or another. I was pleased he said that. It's a kick in the teeth to the establishment who thinks they can manipulate an election.

Dire consequences?

I don't know how much dire you can get than this.

jeb.jpg

Two issues here:

1. Support for GOP nominee. I think it is premature to require commitment to whomever is ultimately selected.

2. Run as Third Party candidate. I think this is a legitimate question. Since Trump is running as a Republican, he should promise not to undermine the Party in the general election.

This kind of thing makes it more likely he will try a third party run. Didn't he say he would,if he felt he wasn't being treated right? What's more insulting than being asked to sign a loyalty oath? Disloyal people would sign it in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

SC has one, but how can the gop enforce it if Trump agrees but then renegs?

If the GOP requires a loyalty oath that will be the end of the GOP.

as well it should. they can stab us in the back and expect loyalty. NO THANKS. We need to clean OUT all these Career politicians who stays so long they become CORRUPTED and bought off

But what if it is Trump's intention to use the platform being provided by the Republicans to in-fact launch an independent campaign? I don't understand you folks saying he's honest based on fact he's not a career politician. That seems rather naïve to me, truthfully the guy reminds me of a con artist. I haven't seen anything out of him to convince me he cares about anything beyond himself.

I really didn't see the Republicans losing next year. Now I have my doubts.

Forum List

Back