Goodbye to All That: Reflections of a GOP Operative Who Left the Cult

What is the GOP's reaction to Mike Lofgren's article in Truth-Out?

Highlights, but go read it. Great rebuttal.

How is this article anything other than another standard jeremiad against the philosophies of government of the Republican Party, its adherents, and its success? Did we learn something new in this? Does he have a fresh perspective? What part of this could not have been written by a young speechwriter at the DNC?

I've talked about his paper point by point, below. But he is just putting forth the Democratic Party's critique of Republicans (in the most vicious terms I can imagine), and in response I am just going to say that Republicans are operating in good faith with a coherent philosophy of government that he doesn't subscribe to. There can't be much of a reaction from Republicans other than "he is wrong", because his message is "Republicans are wrong."

e wrote this at the time of the debt ceiling debate. Republicans apparently, according to what I read everywhere, won because they were willing to see the financial ruin of the United States. In fact, the White House could have capitulated in early July instead of waiting until August 3 to capitulate, and there would have been no brink of disaster. I wouldn't expect them to have done that, because that's not how negotiating works. You work as hard as you can to get what you want, and push everything to the limit, and then you give up on what you can't get. Both sides did the same thing. Neither was crazy, both were principled, and an agreement was reached.

He lists backbenchers who are barely known to the general public, and then calls the GOP a casebook of lunacy.

The debt ceiling negotiation was indeed an entirely artificial crisis but if we close our eyes and picture those who were running in circles with their hands above their heads, predicting the end of the world, it was the media and the Democrats.

He says the GOP is not part of a representative democracy. As far as I know, these Members are democratically elected representatives - the same system we've had for centuries.

The GOP apparently "flouts the law", though whatever that law is goes unnamed. And the GOP is the party of John Calhoun and slavery. Is that a helpful contribution to the discussion?

Much has been said about the 41 Republican Senators threatening filibuster. If they are behaving so outrageously and against public wishes, doesn't Harry Reid have the ability to call them on the filibuster bluff? Require them to filibuster every single bill they oppose and see if the public is happy. Maybe they would be, depending on the issue, I don't know. Why does the majority cave in so easily?

In the next paragraph he goes off the rails. Republicans are concerned about the size of government. Where does he get the offensive and baseless position that Republicans want to throw more people in jail so a few companies can make more money?? Republicans want everyone at work, not making license plates. They want everyone to be paying taxes. This is just slander, and as I said, it's sort of off the rails if we're talking about the size of government.

Republicans would like every Republican to vote. This should not be scandalous. What can Republicans do to stop anyone from voting? This paragraph is the most hate-filled thing I have read in recent memory. This is where I pictured him frothing at the mouth. Does he or anyone else really think that when someone says they want to come to a Republican rally, they are asked about their color or gender or race or sexual orientation. Every vote is a vote. Republicans do not reject anyone in any way

go read the rest. Excellent rebuttal to a hate filled piece.

If I give a homeless man a dollar, I'm a Liberal. If I make him dance for it, I'm a job-creator."
Check the stats: Conservatives are far FAR more likely to give to charities and GIVE more to charities than liberals. The organization around the world that give the most to poor people are conservative religion based organizations!

If I give a homeless man a dollar, I'm a Liberal. If I make him dance for it, I'm a job-creator."
Check the stats: Conservatives are far FAR more likely to give to charities and GIVE more to charities than liberals. The organization around the world that give the most to poor people are conservative religion based organizations!

Not sure what you quoted and your response have to do with each other.

If I give a homeless man a dollar, I'm a Liberal. If I make him dance for it, I'm a job-creator.

You mean if you hold a man up for two dollars, and then give one of them to a homeless guy, you are a liberal.

Only a liberal turd would imply that no one should ever have to do anything to earn his wages.

I can't imagine any characterization of gainful employment more despicable than "make him dance."

If I give a homeless man a dollar, I'm a Liberal. If I make him dance for it, I'm a job-creator.

You mean if you hold a man up for two dollars, and then give one of them to a homeless guy, you are a liberal.

Only a liberal turd would imply that no one should ever have to do anything to earn his wages.

I can't imagine any characterization of gainful employment more despicable than "make him dance."

"hold a man up". I'll admit, that did make me laugh. Where are you performing next clown?

:lol:

LIKE sooooooooooo many people have heard of some website CALLED, truthout..

oh well. People change parties all the time, but for some reason this one is....... special..lol

Last edited:

That liberals, are not more likely then conservatives, to help out a homeless guy.

"hold a man up". I'll admit, that did make me laugh. Where are you performing next clown?

That's the kind of compelling argument we've come to expect from sleazy dipsticks like you.

Liberals have never proposed giving their own money to the homeless, have they?

That liberals, are not more likely then conservatives, to help out a homeless guy.

Good grief, that is pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.

Is that the level we have reached now? That it's a pissing contest?

Times like this, I am ashamed to be associated with either side. Using the misfortune of others as a pissing contest about 'liberals' and 'conservatives'.... how fucking stupid are you?

The truth tends to be funny. In this case, I think it's pathetic.

The best piece I've read all year.

Goodbye to All That: Reflections of a GOP Operative Who Left the Cult

I may post selective paragraphs, but it's such a long, and good article, it's best to just go to the site and read it.

I read it. I also already knew most of what was in the article. (I didn't know that the Koch bros were backing Bachmann's campaign, for example).

At any rate, these are the reasons why I'm so anti-conservative now, as opposed to many years ago when I was willing to (and actually did) vote for Republicans.

The irony is a bitter pill. While conservatives constantly accuse Obama and the Democrats of "trying to destroy America," conservatives are actually working toward that goal at breakneck speed through both their policies and tactics. I fear the the administration of George W. Bush is only a taste of what's to come if conservatives ever get total power again.

The conservative Republicans' take-no-prisoners approach, coupled with a complete lack of willingness to compromise, at BEST, assure that the US gov't will not even be permitted to make an honest effort to solve our critical problems in a rapidly changing world where other countries are not paralyzed by division and are willing to take full advantage of America's self-inflicted problems, which are only exacerbated by our broken political system which big money only further corrupts.

The dumbing down of America, the constant drum beat of talk radio propagandists, and the gullibility of conservative talk radio listeners virtually assure that a loud and politically active segment of the population will fight any attempt to fix what's broken in this country.

It's heartbreaking, really!

So someone no one knows writes an article parrotting Democrat talking points while ignoring Democrats doing far worse somehow is an objective look at the GOP?

Somehow calling political opponents lunatics means they are actually lunatics.

One of these days you guys are going to have to realize that name calling really isn't effective and doesnt make what you call them true.

So someone no one knows writes an article parrotting Democrat talking points while ignoring Democrats doing far worse somehow is an objective look at the GOP?

Somehow calling political opponents lunatics means they are actually lunatics.

One of these days you guys are going to have to realize that name calling really isn't effective and doesnt make what you call them true.

Libtards like the OP prefer to look at the world through Democrat colored glasses

Forum List

Back