God how I miss Bobby Knight and 80s-90s IU Basketball

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Living in the same town as Knight, I have saw him several times over the years. Almost no one ever approaches him, not because they are afraid or nervous by him - but because they respect him and his privacy.
I always wanted to meet him person to person, like millions of other IU fans I suppose. And I know exactly what I would say... "I want to thank you Coach for giving Indiana something to be extremely proud of. Not because you won so much, which is of course VERY enjoyable, but because you made all those wins happen without even the slightest hint of cheating in recruiting or otherwise. And to this day, and perhaps forever, will hold the highest graduation rates of any other program in America."
Knight is one of the most misunderstood and maligned coaches in the history of any coach in any sport.
He hated the sports media, hated their dumb questions and showed that ire every chance he got. And in return, every chance they got they jumped at any opportunity to show him in a bad light. As non-fans of IU and living anywhere but Indiana, all you know about Bobby Knight is his infamous chair throwing event, his temper and yelling. Attacked incessantly from any angle they could find, constantly lied to him about what an interview was going to be about - which angered him (what they wanted anyway) and he would storm off. (Also what they wanted)
Which led to the worst of the worst - his statement to a shitty news correspondent Connie Chung.
He was set up. He did not know Chung then, did not know her ambitions, did not now she would do anything to climb the ranks of television news. She talked very friendly to him, in what he thought was off camera comments, she asked about how he handled the stress of dealing with the media he said - “I think that if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it,” And that is what Chung showed on TV... she cut out the question before it, and edited out what he said immediately after... 'That's just an old term that you're going to use. The plane's down, so you have no control over it. I'm not talking about that, about the act of rape. Don't misinterpret me there. But what I'm talking about is, something happens to you, so you have to handle it"
That is not Bob Knight. Never was.
Bob Knight is a man driven to win. Always win. But not at all cost. His program, to this day, has the most stellar record of conforming to NCAA rules. Never once giving money, gifts, favors or anything else in the recruitment process. His unwavering dedication to fairness and fair play is legendary. What other coach do you know of who, on several occasions, gets on the public address speaker and admonishes the teams OWN fans for getting too loud when an opponent was shooting free throws, or booing an opponent?? That was Bob Knight. Win, always be winning, but never at the cost of being fair to your opponent, even when they aren't fair to you.

Typical Bob Knight feeling feisty to a man with the hardest job on the planet... providing a weekly show with a coach that could care less about being on television...

And Knight dealing with the media is always funny....

Living in the same town as Knight, I have saw him several times over the years. Almost no one ever approaches him, not because they are afraid or nervous by him - but because they respect him and his privacy.
I always wanted to meet him person to person, like millions of other IU fans I suppose. And I know exactly what I would say... "I want to thank you Coach for giving Indiana something to be extremely proud of. Not because you won so much, which is of course VERY enjoyable, but because you made all those wins happen without even the slightest hint of cheating in recruiting or otherwise. And to this day, and perhaps forever, will hold the highest graduation rates of any other program in America."
Knight is one of the most misunderstood and maligned coaches in the history of any coach in any sport.
He hated the sports media, hated their dumb questions and showed that ire every chance he got. And in return, every chance they got they jumped at any opportunity to show him in a bad light. As non-fans of IU and living anywhere but Indiana, all you know about Bobby Knight is his infamous chair throwing event, his temper and yelling. Attacked incessantly from any angle they could find, constantly lied to him about what an interview was going to be about - which angered him (what they wanted anyway) and he would storm off. (Also what they wanted)
Which led to the worst of the worst - his statement to a shitty news correspondent Connie Chung.
He was set up. He did not know Chung then, did not know her ambitions, did not now she would do anything to climb the ranks of television news. She talked very friendly to him, in what he thought was off camera comments, she asked about how he handled the stress of dealing with the media he said - “I think that if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it,” And that is what Chung showed on TV... she cut out the question before it, and edited out what he said immediately after... 'That's just an old term that you're going to use. The plane's down, so you have no control over it. I'm not talking about that, about the act of rape. Don't misinterpret me there. But what I'm talking about is, something happens to you, so you have to handle it"
Bob Knight is a man driven to win. Always win. But not at all cost. His program, to this day, has the most stellar record of conforming to NCAA rules. Never once giving money, gifts, favors or anything else in the recruitment process. His unwavering dedication to fairness and fair play is legendary. What other coach do you know of who, on several occasions, gets on the public address speaker and admonishes the teams OWN fans for getting too loud when an opponent was shooting free throws, or booing an opponent?? That was Bob Knight. Win, always be winning, but never at the cost of being fair to your opponent, even when they aren't fair to you.

Typical Bob Knight feeling feisty to a man with the hardest job on the planet... providing a weekly show with a coach that could care less about being on television...

We won my heart when he tossed that chair....Bless him

Bobby Knight never seemed like a healthy man mentally to me, not that I saw the majority of his career.

Bobby Knight never seemed like a healthy man mentally to me, not that I saw the majority of his career.
That is the TV version of Knight.
ESPN, admittedly, would send a cameraman to IU games and the guys only job was to keep filming Knight.
They were looking for flare ups so they could show it on Sports Center.
Example Purdue's coach at the time Gene Keady. I have saw Gene screaming on the sidelines 100s of times. Kicking chairs, berating students pretty much every game. I can't think of a single time ESPN covered Keady in a negative light. Not once.
Also the media always portrayed Knight as hating Gene Keady. And vice versa. They would show them on the sidelines after a game at it would appear like they are yelling at each other. They were... the place was loud, not like they could whisper.
The truth was and always was - they are to this day life long pals. Gee... ESPN wouldn't show that for the world.

ggg.jpg

How old are you? 93?

I really like Bobby Knight. I know a lot about him and his career he’s probably my favorite coach ever along with Bill Parcels. He was a fierce hard nosed man who did a whole lot of good for Indiana, his players, and kids. By the end of his days in Indiana he was bitter towards the schools administrators ( with some legitimate reason and some not so) and did some really nasty things to some of his players and their family. The whole Neil Reed thing should of never happened. Knight was wrong with grabbing him by the throat and then vilifying Reed and his father. As much as Knight disliked liars and the media he outright lied and tried to use certain media members to ruin Reid and his father. Knight was also a bully his whole career. Everyone has negative traits and I’m just pointing his out because he wasn’t all great. However I do believe his good outweighed his bad and he was one of the best coaches in college basketball history. I hated to see his time end at Indiana but it was definitely time for it to happen. Indiana fans still live in the past of the golden Knight years and it’s one of several reasons they have been a horrible basketball program for decades now.

Last edited:
I really like Bobby Knight. I know a lot about him and his career he’s probably my favorite coach ever along with Bill Parcels. He was a fierce hard nosed man who did a whole lot of good for Indiana, his players, and kids. By the end of his days in Indiana he was bitter towards the schools administrators ( with some legitimate reason and some not so) and did some really nasty things to some of his players and their family. The whole Neil Reed thing should of never happened. Knight was wrong with grabbing him by the throat and then vilifying Reed and his father. As much as Knight disliked liars and the media he outright lied and tried to use certain media members to ruin Reid and his father. Knight was also a bully his whole career. Everyone has negative traits and I’m just pointing his out because he wasn’t all great. However I do believe his good outweighed his bad and he was one of the best coaches in college basketball history. I hated to see his time end at Indiana but it was definitely time for it to happen. Indiana fans still live in the past of the golden Knight years and it’s one of several reasons they have been a horrible basketball program for decades now.
To this day still the winningest coach in men's college basketball history.
I would never say Knight was perfect. He was far from it. He was a man of great contradictions. He demanded complete and total dedication to his way, in return however, you would not get that from him. You would find that out quickly if you even thought of crossing him.
His temper was instant and brutal.
That was the bad.
The good was, like I said, Indiana to this day has the most clean and stellar program in American sports history. Not even the first hint of cheating or recruiting violations. To this day the highest graduation rate of any major college sport. And that dedication to his players doing well off the court didn't stop after you graduated. You could fill a small auditorium with players that Knight helped after they left IU.
Another thing that non Indiana folks have no idea of, is the long hours he put in using his fame for good causes. This man has probably helped raise close to a $billion for charitable organizations by making appearances and giving speeches.

I would never say Knight was perfect. He was far from it. He was a man of great contradictions. He demanded complete and total dedication to his way, in return however, you would not get that from him. You would find that out quickly if you even thought of crossing him.
That was the bad.
The good was, like I said, Indiana to this day has the most clean and stellar program in American sports history. Not even the first hint of cheating or recruiting violations. To this day the highest graduation rate of any major college sport. And that dedication to his players doing well off the court didn't stop after you graduated. You could fill a small auditorium with players that Knight helped after they left IU.
Another thing that non Indiana folks have no idea of, is the long hours he put in using his fame for good causes. This man has probably helped raise close to a $billion for charitable organizations by making appearances and giving speeches.
He did all the charitable gestures while demanding that there wasn’t any media coverage of it. He raised millions for the school and its library. You could tell how much his players loved him when he finally did return to Assembly Hall a couple years ago. He was hilarious when he wanted to be.His game face bit still cracks me up when I see it. He was one of if not the best public speaker I’ve witnessed in my life. Even though my first post seemed negative against him, I grew up watching him and still if anyone would ask me who my favorite coach or sports figure is I would say Bobby Knight. It’s really sad seeing what the program turned into without him. Hopefully Woodson can turn it around and keep it on the right course but after the last 30 years I’ll believe it when I see it.

That was the bad.
One quick correction he doesn’t have the most wins anymore. I think he’s fifth or sixth now. Doesn’t anyway change his success

One quick correction he doesn’t have the most wins anymore. I think he’s fifth or sixth now. Doesn’t anyway change his success
You are right, that changed just this year.
Coach K was bound to surpass him, and others that are still coaching will also pass him up now that he is retired.
One point I would make however - Knight built those wins WITH A CLEAN RECORD. I don't know if this new story about a former Duke player that spent $30,000 on jewelry is going to play out. The NCAA is just now looking into just how did this kid get $30,000. That coming with the announcement of Coach K retiring is looking iffy.

You are right, that changed just this year.
Coach K was bound to surpass him, and others that are still coaching will also pass him up now that he is retired.
One point I would make however - Knight built those wins WITH A CLEAN RECORD. I don't know if this new story about a former Duke player that spent $30,000 on jewelry is going to play out. The NCAA is just now looking into just how did this kid get $30,000. That coming with the announcement of Coach K retiring is looking iffy.
I have no proof but I think it will eventually come out that Coach K sold his soul with the one and done era. Zion was paid to go to Duke.

I have no proof but I think it will eventually come out that Coach K sold his soul with the one and done era. Zion was paid to go to Duke.
I guess what I really miss honestly... is what College Basketball use to be.
I don't think I am just being some geezer reminiscing and shaking his cane at the world.
One - I am only 57... so there is that... but what I miss is the team style of play. Now college ball is basically "pre-Pro" style.
Individualistic, flashier and undisciplined. Lots of rule changes that support that. Players can even earn money while playing now.
This is why I never liked pro basketball. And never will. Defense is non existent. It's all about getting on sports center highlights.

I will never believe that slider25 about selling out- even if you give me 100 -edit-200 dollars (prices and all) of your gun stash right now to spend at my leisure lol

I guess what I really miss honestly... is what College Basketball use to be.
I don't think I am just being some geezer reminiscing and shaking his cane at the world.
One - I am only 57... so there is that... but what I miss is the team style of play. Now college ball is basically "pre-Pro" style.
Individualistic, flashier and undisciplined. Lots of rule changes that support that. Players can even earn money while playing now.
This is why I never liked pro basketball. And never will. Defense is non existent. It's all about getting on sports center highlights.
It’s sportscenter basketball. All threes and dunks. No role players and fundamentals are a thing of the past. Everyone needs to be the star.

Never met the man but had respect for the program he built at Indiana. Ohio state fan myself. Always rooted for Indiana in the dance once we were out. Did get to golf a golf course he was part owner of in Celina Ohio. It was a link's course called the Foxes Den. A very nice track. He was present at the grand opening I was unable to attend to long ago to remember why.

Never met the man but had respect for the program he built at Indiana. Ohio state fan myself. Always rooted for Indiana in the dance once we were out. Did get to golf a golf course he was part owner of in Celina Ohio. It was a link's course called the Foxes Den. A very nice track. He was present at the grand opening I was unable to attend to long ago to remember why.
Go Big Ten!
Same here... if Indiana was out of the dance, we rooted for any other Big Ten team.... okay... maybe not Purdue :D

Go Big Ten!
Same here... if Indiana was out of the dance, we rooted for any other Big Ten team.... okay... maybe not Purdue :D
Lol, I found it hard to root for that team up north when we were out of things. We don't even say the name here in Ohio. Yes, go big ten!

Lol, I found it hard to root for that team up north when we were out of things. We don't even say the name here in Ohio. Yes, go big ten!
OMG - Gene Keady... the bulldog. The biggest crybaby of all. Every freaking call there he was with his jaw sticking out!
I have always had a hard time imagining the fact that him and Bobby Knight were decades-long friends. To this day still good friends.

keady_gene030323_getty.jpg

OMG - Gene Keady... the bulldog. The biggest crybaby of all. Every freaking call there he was with his jaw sticking out!
I have always had a hard time imagining the fact that him and Bobby Knight were decades-long friends. To this day still good friends.

View attachment 704557
Lol, yep leave that stuff on the court. My junior high football coach also coached pony league baseball. When I was in high school I umpired for pony league. Had to throw my junior high football coach out of several games. Lol, he got a little heated over stuff. Lol, still talk to him to this day.

Forum List

Back