God and Evidence.

From the spirit teachings I have studied, God is the source of creation. he set into motion a universe that allows evolution and is guided or driven, by subtle forces from higher planes of existence. We evolve through trial and error and we reincarnate on many different planets in a long cycle of spiritual growth. Lower forms of life than modern humans evolve toward their own perfection. We may not be the highest form of life in the universe as there may be species far in advance of us. But that does not mean we will be written off, as we are evolving spiritually over countless lives. Eventually we will have evolved to as state of grace and no longer need incarnation. After that we live in higher realms as immortals and continue to grow there.

"Why doesn't God do something about our mess is the next logical question. But what should God do? Run our daily lives? Micromanage us like puppets?

Well I think that's a big question that theists and atheists struggle with and I think they miss the excellent point you just made. What exactly do we want God to do about it? I suppose God could show up in all His splendor and say "ok I am going to fix everything" but we can all kiss our freedom of choice goodbye. It would effectively become a dictatorship. Is that what we want?

I was told by a preacher whose opinion I respected at the time that what Christians aught to be praying for above all else is the coming reign of Christ on Earth.

He said that the best government for Man IS a dictatorship, ass-u-me-ing of course that Jesus is the dictator.

He and I respectfully disagree. But I suppose that all depends on what one thinks will happen if and when God's good kingdom comes to Earth. There is a lot of disagreement even among the ancient authors about what it would look like. I have said many times in the past that "the price of Utopia is your freedom of choice". How can one choose righteousness in an environment where unrighteousness is absent? If we can not freely choose unrighteousness does righteousness even exist? Therefore we all act the same way because there is simply no other way to act. That doesn't sound very Utopian to me.

I am not sure that God's kingdom will ever come to Earth in the manner in which the Bible describes it (in any of the multiple ways) and frankly I am not sure I want it to. It seems to me that the purpose of existence would be nullified as there would be neither the need nor the allowance for independent thought, reason, or exploration of God and the universe around us. It seems to me that we may already be living in God's good kingdom by preserving that freedom to choose. Perhaps the reason why He does not fix all our problems for us is because He has given us all the tools we need to fix them for ourselves.

"Why doesn't God do something about our mess is the next logical question. But what should God do? Run our daily lives? Micromanage us like puppets?

Well I think that's a big question that theists and atheists struggle with and I think they miss the excellent point you just made. What exactly do we want God to do about it? I suppose God could show up in all His splendor and say "ok I am going to fix everything" but we can all kiss our freedom of choice goodbye. It would effectively become a dictatorship. Is that what we want?

I was told by a preacher whose opinion I respected at the time that what Christians aught to be praying for above all else is the coming reign of Christ on Earth.

He said that the best government for Man IS a dictatorship, ass-u-me-ing of course that Jesus is the dictator.

He and I respectfully disagree. But I suppose that all depends on what one thinks will happen if and when God's good kingdom comes to Earth. There is a lot of disagreement even among the ancient authors about what it would look like. I have said many times in the past that "the price of Utopia is your freedom of choice". How can one choose righteousness in an environment where unrighteousness is absent? If we can not freely choose unrighteousness does righteousness even exist? Therefore we all act the same way because there is simply no other way to act. That doesn't sound very Utopian to me.

I am not sure that God's kingdom will ever come to Earth in the manner in which the Bible describes it (in any of the multiple ways) and frankly I am not sure I want it to. It seems to me that the purpose of existence would be nullified as there would be neither the need nor the allowance for independent thought, reason, or exploration of God and the universe around us. It seems to me that we may already be living in God's good kingdom by preserving that freedom to choose. Perhaps the reason why He does not fix all our problems for us is because He has given us all the tools we need to fix them for ourselves.

If the biblical story of resurrection on an earth made over as heaven were true there would be some problems with it. For one thing there would be massive overpopulation, and for another. As Frank Tippler points out in his book, 'the physics of immortality'. After a thousand years all your memory cells would be filled up, so you would not be able to remember anything more.

Jesus is the dictator within each individual that has breath, the rules were set from the beginning of that first breath after the water breaking in the womb. Humans cannot always get that part.

And that would be the most obvious conundrum in American religious views.

Is the freedom to choose an appropriate lifestyle really freedom?

:dunno: And who decides what is and what is not 'appropriate'?​

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God who gives to all men liberally and upbraideth not and it shall be given unto him." (James 1:5)

You want to know about God, ask Him. If you want to know the mysteries of the universe ask Him. If you want to have power to live your life differently ask Him.

You cannot know a master you dont serve. Neither can you know a friend you dont talk with.

He is waiting patiently for all of us to come to Him so we can be taught the treasures of eternal life.

And that would be the most obvious conundrum in American religious views.

Is the freedom to choose an appropriate lifestyle really freedom?

:dunno: And who decides what is and what is not 'appropriate'?​

God does. And He reveals this through His Holy Spirit.

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God who gives to all men liberally and upbraideth not and it shall be given unto him." (James 1:5)

You want to know about God, ask Him. If you want to know the mysteries of the universe ask Him. If you want to have power to live your life differently ask Him.

You cannot know a master you dont serve. Neither can you know a friend you dont talk with.

He is waiting patiently for all of us to come to Him so we can be taught the treasures of eternal life.
You can only know the master that was explained to you by others. Your belief may feel real, but it's a belief. Been there, done that and I have the T-shirt.

From the spirit teachings I have studied, God is the source of creation. he set into motion a universe that allows evolution and is guided or driven, by subtle forces from higher planes of existence. We evolve through trial and error and we reincarnate on many different planets in a long cycle of spiritual growth. Lower forms of life than modern humans evolve toward their own perfection. We may not be the highest form of life in the universe as there may be species far in advance of us. But that does not mean we will be written off, as we are evolving spiritually over countless lives. Eventually we will have evolved to as state of grace and no longer need incarnation. After that we live in higher realms as immortals and continue to grow there.

---
"God is the source of creation."

The major philosophical problem with that is ... Who/what created God?
And on & on ...

Origins of our universe and perhaps others will always be a mystery to us peons.
I'm being realistic, and it does not bother me to stop hitting my head against that "wall ".
Actually, it feels good.
:)

"God", for lack of a better term, is possible. It's a big fucking universe after all.

If God is, would such a being have regrets?

Is the fact of not-quite-human creatures like Neanderthal living on Earth for tens of thousands of years evidence that the image of a perfect God may not be reflected in modern humans, or evidence that God makes mistakes?

`

Interesting question

so many questions so little time....problem is......we humans would like to put God under a microscope... ahh...if we only could...

it ain't going to happen :dunno:

You want to know about God, ask Him. If you want to know the mysteries of the universe ask Him.

---
Please ask "Him" where he came from and what his main purpose is.
Please let us know what he tells you ...

God is limited, I believe, yes. If God were all powerful, Jeremiah would not be allowed to speak for God.

You're not different or better than Jeri.

You just write shorter posts.
.You, a shaky atheist, mischaracterize what I said because you don't understand, which is fine, but be honest. I do not say I was better than Jeri. I said I believe God was not all powerful, and if God were all powerful, I don't believe Jeri would be allowed to speak for him. You need to be honest with your and others' words: you have a problem with that.

God isn't sentient, if it exists at all. Time didn't exist until pure energy existed. Pure energy didn't exist until it had something to propel into motion. That "something" didn't exist until pure energy cooled into matter. Space can't exist without the existence something, anything, of physical property.

It's an exercise in futility without fruit.

What matters is 1) Here and 2) Now.

Deal with it. And don't fuck with anybody lest you be smitten by the Brotch Slap. :slap:

"God", for lack of a better term, is possible. It's a big fucking universe after all.

If God is, would such a being have regrets?

Is the fact of not-quite-human creatures like Neanderthal living on Earth for tens of thousands of years evidence that the image of a perfect God may not be reflected in modern humans, or evidence that God makes mistakes?

`
... or evidence that God makes mistakes?

it's not just the Almighty, it is any Spirit that accomplishes Admission to the Everlasting that their mistakes would be by their accomplishment forever in the past.

the Triumph of Good vs Evil.

And on & on ...

The simple answer to that is that God has always existed. Although I admit that God always having existed is incomprehensible. But it is the same kind of problem as what existed before the universe. According to occult theology the universe is created and destroyed in an eternal cycle.

And on & on ...

The simple answer to that is that God has always existed. Although I admit that God always having existed is incomprehensible. But it is the same kind of problem as what existed before the universe. According to occult theology the universe is created and destroyed in an eternal cycle.

Well the word "always" refers to time. Time is a measurement of distance between individual points in space relative to the speed of light. So time didn't begin until the Big Bang since before the Big Bang there were no individual points to measure distance between. There was only one point and thus there was no "here" or "there". After the Big Bang there was suddenly a "here" and a "there" and time began. If one argues that God is the universe itself, then God would also be the single point of all matter prior to the Big Bang and thus God would have existed always...at least in regard to our universe.

Forum List

Back