Gluten Free

Yes, you were the one saying it happens to you so it is a good idea to cut it out of your diet? Correct? I say that most people can eat a sandwich made with wheat bread and will NOT gain 20 pounds. MOST people who have a weight problem have a weight problem because they overdo it.

"MOST" huh?

Link?

Medscape: Medscape Access

You just linked to a website registration page.
Perhaps wheat is clouding your perceptive abilities.

No. I didn't. The site comes up if you just click on the link. Don't know how to use a computer either, eh?

It's Not Genes: People Are Fat Because They Eat Too Much
Arthur L. Caplan, PhD

Disclosures | May 27, 2014

spacer.gif

• 468 comments
  • icon-facebook.png
  • icon-twitter.png
  • icon-googleplus.png
  • icon-linkedin.png
  • icon-print.png
    Print

Hi. I am Art Caplan, from the Division of Medical Ethics at the New York University Langone Medical Center in New York.

Why are your patients fat? Why are people fat generally? Struggling with weight is a problem. I personally have done better with it lately, but it is a challenge. We all know we are in the middle of an obesity epidemic in the United States. Indeed, worldwide obesity is an increasing problem.

If you look at the medical literature, the answer is clear. The problem is in our genes. Again and again, in media reports and in articles that catch the attention of editors at the most prominent medical journals, the answer to why we are all fat is that we have bad genes.

Think about it. You go to a cocktail party. You are chatting with people and you start talking about weight. The person says, "I'm one of those high metabolizers (or low metabolizers)," hinting that there is a genetic or biological basis for their size. Or people will say to me, "I must have inherited bad genes. I just can't seem to keep weight off."

We love the genetic explanation. That is why it was so interesting to see a paper recently in the British Medical Journal[1] that looked in a very different, but I believe a more fertile, direction for understanding the obesity problem.

Researchers from the University of Cambridge conducted a very simple study. They wanted to know how many fast-food outlets are in Cambridgeshire, the county that includes Cambridge and the university. They also looked at where people commuted to work, and whether there was any association between going by these fast-food places and obesity and diabetes.

Bad Food, Not Bad Genes
Guess what they found? If you put a bucket of fried chicken out every half-mile along the route people take to work and back, they are fatter. There is a correlation between fast-food outlets and being diabetic or being fat.

The point is this: Genes certainly play a role in how people handle food, but if you live in a culture that overwhelms you with opportunities to eat junk food and fatty food, even the best genes can easily be overwhelmed.

We are that kind of country, too. We promote eating more food. I took a ride recently from Moosic, Pennsylvania, to Wilkes-Barre. Having read this article, I decided to count how many fast-food places I could see from the road in a relatively rural area. The distance was 13 miles. I counted 19 kings, arches, colonels, and so on. Fast food is ubiquitous. Bad food opportunities are everywhere.

If we are going to get a handle on the obesity epidemic, then we need to stop saying, "All you have to do is control your diet, and somehow manage the responsibility that your genes gave you." Telling people they have a genetic basis for obesity is kind of an excuse, or an easy way out.

Stuffed, Part 1

Stuffed, Part 2

And for those who were going :lalala: when I linked it before being infatuated with their own voice:

The Dark side of "Healthy" Wheat

Stop eating so much and you won't be fat. :D

No. I didn't. The site comes up if you just click on the link. Don't know how to use a computer either, eh?

Arthur L. Caplan, PhD

spacer.gif

• 468 comments
  • icon-facebook.png
  • icon-twitter.png
  • icon-googleplus.png
  • icon-linkedin.png
  • icon-print.png
    Print
Hi. I am Art Caplan, from the Division of Medical Ethics at the New York University Langone Medical Center in New York.

Why are your patients fat? Why are people fat generally? Struggling with weight is a problem. I personally have done better with it lately, but it is a challenge. We all know we are in the middle of an obesity epidemic in the United States. Indeed, worldwide obesity is an increasing problem.

If you look at the medical literature, the answer is clear. The problem is in our genes. Again and again, in media reports and in articles that catch the attention of editors at the most prominent medical journals, the answer to why we are all fat is that we have bad genes.

Think about it. You go to a cocktail party. You are chatting with people and you start talking about weight. The person says, "I'm one of those high metabolizers (or low metabolizers)," hinting that there is a genetic or biological basis for their size. Or people will say to me, "I must have inherited bad genes. I just can't seem to keep weight off."

We love the genetic explanation. That is why it was so interesting to see a paper recently in the British Medical Journal[1] that looked in a very different, but I believe a more fertile, direction for understanding the obesity problem.

Researchers from the University of Cambridge conducted a very simple study. They wanted to know how many fast-food outlets are in Cambridgeshire, the county that includes Cambridge and the university. They also looked at where people commuted to work, and whether there was any association between going by these fast-food places and obesity and diabetes.

Bad Food, Not Bad Genes
Guess what they found? If you put a bucket of fried chicken out every half-mile along the route people take to work and back, they are fatter. There is a correlation between fast-food outlets and being diabetic or being fat.

The point is this: Genes certainly play a role in how people handle food, but if you live in a culture that overwhelms you with opportunities to eat junk food and fatty food, even the best genes can easily be overwhelmed.

We are that kind of country, too. We promote eating more food. I took a ride recently from Moosic, Pennsylvania, to Wilkes-Barre. Having read this article, I decided to count how many fast-food places I could see from the road in a relatively rural area. The distance was 13 miles. I counted 19 kings, arches, colonels, and so on. Fast food is ubiquitous. Bad food opportunities are everywhere.

If we are going to get a handle on the obesity epidemic, then we need to stop saying, "All you have to do is control your diet, and somehow manage the responsibility that your genes gave you." Telling people they have a genetic basis for obesity is kind of an excuse, or an easy way out.

Stuffed, Part 1

Stuffed, Part 2

And for those who were going :lalala: when I linked it before being infatuated with their own voice:

I'm not "fat". But if I were to let wheat into my diet ----- even if I ate less ---- I would be. And I know that from repeated experience.

I already posted this too, but that was around your first "la" of :lalala:

Again -- the first time I tried this, my food volume went UP, not down ....... and I dropped 40 pounds because of the wheat being gone. I learned from that. Maybe that's the difference between us. :D

And may I say, congratulations on wending through those first two links --- which are just under an hour each --- in sixty seconds flat. Can't say I'm surprised.

Last edited:

Arthur L. Caplan, PhD

spacer.gif

• 468 comments
  • icon-facebook.png
  • icon-twitter.png
  • icon-googleplus.png
  • icon-linkedin.png
  • icon-print.png
    Print

Bad Food, Not Bad Genes

Stuffed, Part 1

Stuffed, Part 2

I'm not "fat". But if I were to let wheat into my diet ----- even if I ate less ---- I would be. And I know that from repeated experience.

I already posted this too, but that was around your first "la" of :lalala:

Again -- the first time I tried this, my food volume went UP, not down ....... and I dropped 40 pounds because of the wheat being gone. I learned from that. Maybe that's the difference between us. :D

And may I say, congratulations on wending through those first two links --- which are just under an hour each --- in sixty seconds flat. Can't say I'm surprised.

There are millions of links about why Americans are fat, and it ain't because of wheat sweetheart! :D

>> The biggest problem is wheat, the major source of gluten in our diet. But wheat weaves it misery through many mechanisms, not just the gluten! The history of wheat parallels the history of chronic disease and obesity across the world. Supermarkets today contain walls of wheat and corn disguised in literally hundreds of thousands of different food- like products, or Frankenfoods. Each American now consumes about 55 pounds of wheat flour every year.

It is not just the amount but also the hidden components of wheat that drive weight gain and disease. This is not the wheat your great-grandmother used to bake her bread. It is FrankenWheat – a scientifically engineered food product developed in the last 50 years.

How Wheat (and Gluten) Triggers Weight Gain, Prediabetes, Diabetes and More

This new modern wheat may look like wheat, but it is different in three important ways that all drive obesity, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, dementia and more.

1. It contains a Super Starch – amylopectin A that is super fattening.
  2. It contains a form of Super Gluten that is super-inflammatory.
  3. It contains forms of a Super Drug that is super-addictive and makes you crave and eat more. << ---- Three Hidden Ways Wheat Makes you Fat

>> The biggest problem is wheat, the major source of gluten in our diet. But wheat weaves it misery through many mechanisms, not just the gluten! The history of wheat parallels the history of chronic disease and obesity across the world. Supermarkets today contain walls of wheat and corn disguised in literally hundreds of thousands of different food- like products, or Frankenfoods. Each American now consumes about 55 pounds of wheat flour every year.

It is not just the amount but also the hidden components of wheat that drive weight gain and disease. This is not the wheat your great-grandmother used to bake her bread. It is FrankenWheat – a scientifically engineered food product developed in the last 50 years.

This new modern wheat may look like wheat, but it is different in three important ways that all drive obesity, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, dementia and more.

3. It contains forms of a Super Drug that is super-addictive and makes you crave and eat more. << ---- Three Hidden Ways Wheat Makes you Fat

Obesity Epidemic: Overeating Alone to Blame
Overeating Largely to Blame
The results showed that the predicted and actual increase in weight gain among children, nearly 9 pounds, matched exactly, indicating overeating was likely to blame

“For adults, we predicted that they would be 10.8 kg (23.8 pounds) heavier, but in fact they were 8.6 kg (20 pounds) heavier,” Swinburn says. “That suggests that excess food intake still explains the weight gain, but that there may have been increases in physical activity over the 30 years that have blunted what would otherwise have been a higher weight gain.”

“To return to the average weights of the 1970s, we would need to reverse the increased food intake of about 350 calories a day for children (about one can of fizzy drink and a small portion of French fries) and 500 calories a day for adults (about one large hamburger),” Swinburn says. “Alternatively, we could achieve similar results by increasing physical activity by about 150 minutes a day of extra walking for children and 110 minutes for adults; but realistically, although a combination of both is needed, the focus would have to be on reducing calorie intake.”

Swinburn emphasized that physical activity should not be ignored as a contributor to reducing obesity and should continue to be promoted because of its many benefits. Nevertheless, from a public policy perspective, expectations regarding what can be achieved with exercise need to be lowered and emphasis should be shifted toward encouraging people to eat less, he says.

Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health (cardiologist)

Gluten Confirmed to Cause Weight Gain (Brazilian study)

>> Obesity seems to have the same cause the world over, in both humans and lab animals: It results from food toxicity compounded by malnourishment.

The most important food toxins are cereal grains (especially wheat), omega-6-rich vegetable oils, and fructose from sugar and corn syrup.

The United States government in its wisdom chose to give agricultural subsidies to wheat, corn, and soybeans, thus reducing the price of the most toxic food crops. The natural result was to make Americans the fattest people in the world, as this chart comparing body-mass index (BMI) in 30 countries attests (from http://diabetescure101.com/BMI.htm, via Matthew Yglesias):

Look at the two low-obesity countries at the left of the chart: Japan and Korea are the only two Asian countries in the sample. What are they doing right?

Well, everything:

• Their staple starch is rice, not wheat. Rice is the only non-toxic cereal grain and one of our “safe starches.”
    • They consume far less vegetable oils than Americans.
    • They consume far less sugar than Americans.
With a minimally toxic diet, it’s almost impossible to become obese.

.... In both China Study I and II, wheat is the strongest positive predictor of body weight (r = 0.65, p<0.001) out of any diet variable. And it’s not just because wheat eaters are taller, either, because wheat consumption also strongly correlates with body mass index (r = 0.58, p<0.001).

... It seems the evidence is consistent. It’s not eating more calories that makes a person fat. It’s overdosing on toxins – especially wheat toxins. << --- Wheat and Obesity: More From the China Study
--- some of that food-content material was already noted in the first two links I gave you. The ones you breezed through two hours of radio documentary in 60 seconds because you don't want to know.
I didn't have any of this info when I de-wheated --- all I did was dump the wheat, that's it. No other changes except that I ate MORE volume than I had been. And I dropped 40 pounds just like that.

Later I relapsed and started sneaking wheat back in --- and my weight went up. When it was time to take action I knew what to do --- I did it again, cut out wheat and stayed off. And it worked again. That time I dropped 60 pounds.

Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health(cardiologist)

>> Obesity seems to have the same cause the world over, in both humans and lab animals: It results from food toxicity compounded by malnourishment.

The most important food toxins are cereal grains (especially wheat), omega-6-rich vegetable oils, and fructose from sugar and corn syrup.

The United States government in its wisdom chose to give agricultural subsidies to wheat, corn, and soybeans, thus reducing the price of the most toxic food crops. The natural result was to make Americans the fattest people in the world, as this chart comparing body-mass index (BMI) in 30 countries attests (from http://diabetescure101.com/BMI.htm, via Matthew Yglesias):

Look at the two low-obesity countries at the left of the chart: Japan and Korea are the only two Asian countries in the sample. What are they doing right?

Well, everything:

• Their staple starch is rice, not wheat. Rice is the only non-toxic cereal grain and one of our “safe starches.”

.... In both China Study I and II, wheat is the strongest positive predictor of body weight (r = 0.65, p<0.001) out of any diet variable. And it’s not just because wheat eaters are taller, either, because wheat consumption also strongly correlates with body mass index (r = 0.58, p<0.001).

... It seems the evidence is consistent. It’s not eating more calories that makes a person fat. It’s overdosing on toxins – especially wheat toxins. << --- Wheat and Obesity: More From the China Study
I didn't have any of this info when I de-wheated --- all I did was dump the wheat, that's it. No other changes except that I ate MORE volume than I had been. And I dropped 40 pounds just like that.

Later I relapsed and started sneaking wheat back in --- and my weight went up. When it was time to take action I knew what to do --- I did it again, cut out wheat and stayed off. And it worked again. That time I dropped 60 pounds.

That's funny because other countries do not seem to be suffering from the same "obesity epidemic" that we see in America, and they eat wheat products too! :)

The results showed that the predicted and actual increase in weight gain among children, nearly 9 pounds, matched exactly, indicating overeating was likely to blame

“For adults, we predicted that they would be 10.8 kg (23.8 pounds) heavier, but in fact they were 8.6 kg (20 pounds) heavier,” Swinburn says. “That suggests that excess food intake still explains the weight gain, but that there may have been increases in physical activity over the 30 years that have blunted what would otherwise have been a higher weight gain.”

“To return to the average weights of the 1970s, we would need to reverse the increased food intake of about 350 calories a day for children (about one can of fizzy drink and a small portion of French fries) and 500 calories a day for adults (about one large hamburger),” Swinburn says. “Alternatively, we could achieve similar results by increasing physical activity by about 150 minutes a day of extra walking for children and 110 minutes for adults; but realistically, although a combination of both is needed, the focus would have to be on reducing calorie intake.”

Swinburn emphasized that physical activity should not be ignored as a contributor to reducing obesity and should continue to be promoted because of its many benefits. Nevertheless, from a public policy perspective, expectations regarding what can be achieved with exercise need to be lowered and emphasis should be shifted toward encouraging people to eat less, he says.

This was also covered in the documentary links -- and refuted.

Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health(cardiologist)

Well, everything:

That's funny because other countries do not seem to be suffering from the same "obesity epidemic" that we see in America, and they eat wheat products too! :)

Apparently you're not even reading links when they're just text either. :lalala:

I made the pertinent parts that you missed real big so you can see 'em. See if you can spot it. Kinda like a "where's Waldo" of words.

This was also covered in the documentary links -- and refuted.
Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health (cardiologist)

Well, everything:

--- some of that food-content material was already noted in the first two links I gave you. The ones you breezed through two hours of radio documentary in 60 seconds because you don't want to know.

Your website is crap, as I'm sure you know. It's one of those "health" websites trying to get you to purchase books and other such things. My link is from WebMD and the articles are written by doctors. :)

Overeating is the main factor contributing to obesity. When we begin to overeat regularly -- perhaps snacking at a certain time of the day as a "pick-me-up" or when a midnight snack becomes a ritual -- this can be a problem for our physical health, and even our mental health.

Why We Keep Overeating and What We Can Do About It

Of course, you can blame it on wheat if that makes you feel better, but the majority of Americans are overweight because of a poor diet and overeating. That's a fact. :)

No, it's a post on a message board that you spend more time on doing than on listening to anything that might challenge your preconceptions.

Overeating is the main factor contributing to obesity. When we begin to overeat regularly -- perhaps snacking at a certain time of the day as a "pick-me-up" or when a midnight snack becomes a ritual -- this can be a problem for our physical health, and even our mental health.

Of course, you can blame it on wheat if that makes you feel better, but the majority of Americans are overweight because of a poor diet and overeating. That's a fact. :)

No, it's a post on a message board that you spend more time on doing than on listening to anything that might challenge your preconceptions.

No preconceptions needed. MOST people in America are overweight because they just eat too much. But, like I said, if it makes you feel better to blame it on wheat (pretty much ALL bread is very fattening anyhow), then you go right ahead. :D

No preconceptions needed. MOST people in America are overweight because they just eat too much. But, like I said, if it makes you feel better to blame it on wheat (pretty much ALL bread is very fattening anyhow), then you go right ahead. :D

Don't need to. I already proved it. Twice.
Believe me, I'd love to be able to use my bread machine, chow down on an occasional sandwich or enjoy some Hammentaschen. That choice has been taken away. I don't like it, but unlike you...... I accept it and adjust.

Believe me, I'd love to be able to use my bread machine, chow down on an occasional sandwich or enjoy some Hammentaschen. That choice has been taken away. I don't like it, but unlike you...... I accept it and adjust.

Most people are not fat from bread if they keep it in moderation. Most people are fat because they eat too much and eat empty calories. Sorry if that's upsetting for you, but it is just a fact.

Most people are not fat from bread if they keep it in moderation. Most people are fat because they eat too much and eat empty calories. Sorry if that's upsetting for you, but it is just a fact.

Nope -- again the distinction between a "fact" and an "uninformed impression posted on a message board with nothing behind it any heavier than 'because I said so'" is lost on you.

Doesn't matter to me --- I actually know the dynamics. I've had dietary ailments over the years and I was forced to learn about this stuff.

As noted before, thank me later. When your weight balloons and you remember this thread and (without telling anyone of course) take my advice and find that that weight just magically dropped off --- send me a PM. I won't tell everybody.

Nope -- again the distinction between a "fact" and an "uninformed impression posted on a message board with nothing behind it any heavier than 'because I said so'" is lost on you.

Doesn't matter to me --- I actually know the dynamics. I've had dietary ailments over the years and I was forced to learn about this stuff.

As noted before, thank me later. When your weight balloons and you remember this thread and (without telling anyone of course) take my advice and find that that weight just magically dropped off --- send me a PM. I won't tell everybody.

So, are you actually claiming that most overweight Americans are overweight because they consume WHEAT products and not because they are overeating. OOOOOKAAAAYYY. Lol. Quit arguing just for the sake of argument. You are getting to the point of being a ridiculous clown like some of the other posters here.

So, are you actually claiming that most overweight Americans are overweight because they consume WHEAT products and not because they are overeating. OOOOOKAAAAYYY. Lol. Quit arguing just for the sake of argument. You are getting to the point of being a ridiculous clown like some of the other posters here.

Ummmm... ... I ain't the one posting an absolute over and over that she can't defend, Sparkles.

Ummmm... ... I ain't the one posting an absolute over and over that she can't defend, Sparkles.

You are the one claiming that it is wheat and not overeating that is the problem. Lol.

Forum List

Back