Get An Inside Look At The Philly Skate Scene

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011

Skating in Philadelphia is hard. Rugged terrain, uneven sidewalks, and every weather condition imaginable is hurled at skaters whose goal is to thrash the City of Brotherly Love. “The streets are rough. The spots are rough. There’s a lot you’ve got to battle,” says Kerry Getz, owner of iconic Philly skate shop, Nocturnal. But adversity breeds creativity and that’s the message “Greetings From Philadelphia” communicates loud and clear.

They have some real cool parks in there.

Skating in Philadelphia is hard. Rugged terrain, uneven sidewalks, and every weather condition imaginable is hurled at skaters whose goal is to thrash the City of Brotherly Love. “The streets are rough. The spots are rough. There’s a lot you’ve got to battle,” says Kerry Getz, owner of iconic Philly skate shop, Nocturnal. But adversity breeds creativity and that’s the message “Greetings From Philadelphia” communicates loud and clear.

Looks like it's about skateboarding, not skating. Are they trying to take over a verb here?

Looks like it's about skateboarding, not skating. Are they trying to take over a verb here?

It is about skateboarding. It's been referred to as the skate scene only for about 30 years.

It is about skateboarding. It's been referred to as the skate scene only for about 30 years.

Then what do they do when there's actual skating involved?

4fe616fb-6505-43cd-9448-6fbb6bb8f2a6.jpg

To go fetch the above image I put the word "skating" into Googly Images. That's all, just "skating".

I got a page full of skaters and skates. Some roller, some ice. Singles, couples, small groups, large groups, indoor, outdoor.

Got zero skateboards.

Last edited:

Call it ice skating? Roller skating?

To go fetch the above image I put the word "skating" into Googly Images. That's all, just "skating".

I got a page full of skaters and skates. Some roller, some ice. Got zero skateboards.

Try skate scene.

Sigh.
That sounds as stupid as "ink pen". Which at least has a linguistic reason to exist.

Sigh.
That sounds as stupid as "ink pen". Which at least has a linguistic reason to exist.

It's not one of those things that either of us can control.

Sigh.

It's not one of those things that either of us can control.

I spoze. :(

I'm a linguistic archconservative, I don't take kindly to Ignorami abusing my language.

I imagine that it went down something like this.

It was a dark and stormy night bright and sunny day. Two guys were driving somewhere and happened to pass a golf course.

"Surely" said the first, "humans can contrive no more mindless pointless waste of time than the game of golf!"

Second guy says "hold my beer" and invents the skateboard.

I got a page full of skaters and skates. Some roller, some ice. Singles, couples, small groups, large groups, indoor, outdoor.

Got zero skateboards.

I just tried your challenge and all I got were skateboard images. I did the same on YouTube and the eleventh video was about roller skates, then back to skateboards. Maybe you are a dinosaur and the language has passed you by?

Got zero skateboards.

I just tried your challenge and all I got were skateboard images. I did the same on YouTube and the eleventh video was about roller skates, then back to skateboards. Maybe you are a dinosaur and the language has passed you by?

I'd like to think so, and thank you for the kind words, but no, given the single term "skating" all I got was roller skates, ice skates, roller skaters, ice skaters, close-ups of roller skates, close-ups of ice skates and panorama views of rinks where skaters were skating. I kept scanning down to bring more images. Never saw a single board.

Forum List

Back