Georgia Governor Big Brian Kemp allows teens to get driver's license with just parental approval, scrapping driver's test

Wow, that's a different approach. I understand the logic and I'm as critical of excessive and interferring government as anyone, in Ontario, we are basically living in East Germany, but this is really laissez-faire.

I wonder if there will be shared responsibility for their teens if they drive recklessly or other driving infractions. With the virus though, there are special circumstances I suppose.

Why not? Plenty of clearly unqualified drivers out there with testing in place.
Rush hour is like NASCAR, but with a bunch of inattentive idiots paying more attention to their phones while weaving in and out of traffic. It already is a free for all.

Let’s look at what it really says-

The Governor’s Executive Order signed on April 23, 2020, waives the requirement for most automobile road tests until the Public State of Emergency is terminated. During this waiver period, teens should login or create a DDS Online Services account to upgrade/renew their licenses. Once logged in:

• If you are 16-18 and have a Learners Permit (Class CP) and you've held your CP for 1 year and 1 day with no violations, the system will display your license as a Class D. Select a Renewal in the top right-hand corner to process your new Class D License. If you have violations you will not be able to upgrade.
  • If you are over 18 and have a Learner's Permit (Class CP), the system will also display a Class D License, if eligible. Select Renewal in the top right-hand corner to process your new Class C License.
  • You must affirm the information, then pay for the upgrade. Once payment is completed, you will get a confirmation email.
  • Any driver over 17, with no current license or permit, must schedule an appointment to take the appropriate knowledge exams.
  • Motorcycle and CDL Drivers must schedule an appointment for a road test.
And under a learners permit one must have someone 21 or over driving with them. So the person getting their licensed has been driving already with an adult for a year without tickets before this applies

Forum List

Back