General Robert E. Lee should be a Role Model for American Youth

Robert E. Lee didn't hate black people. You do. I don't know what lessons you learned from him, but they were all the wrong ones.

From what I've read about Lee he was never a strong proponent of slavery, in fact he thought that it was ultimately unproductive and unsustainable. He also thought secession was a grave error, a failure of corrupt and incompetent politicians to compromise on important issues. But his loyalty to his home state, his sense of honor and duty contemporary to the time determined his course of action and supercedes all other considerations. He was a man of his times.

Robert E. Lee didn't hate black people. You do. I don't know what lessons you learned from him, but they were all the wrong ones.

From what I've read about Lee he was never a strong proponent of slavery, in fact he thought that it was ultimately unproductive and unsustainable. He also thought secession was a grave error, a failure of corrupt and incompetent politicians to compromise on important issues. But his loyalty to his home state, his sense of honor and duty contemporary to the time determined his course of action and supercedes all other considerations. He was a man of his times.

Then how come he went to court several times to prevent the emancipation of his father-in-laws' slaves (as his father-in-law provided in his will)?

Then how come he went to court several times to prevent the emancipation of his father-in-laws' slaves (as his father-in-law provided in his will)?

I give up. Why?

Grant is. Or Sherman. Or Sheridan. Meade has a temper problem.

None of the Northern generals had good character. BTW, do you know where the term "hooker" came from? Now there's some trivia that most people don't know about.
Was Thomas Hooker mentioned by anyone else before you? Why, I believe not.

And?
You threw him up as if someone had mentioned him as having good character. You and only you brought him up in that regard.

As for me....I agree with the poster who put out Joshua Chamberlain's name.
very good one. I always forget him. What tid the south have in the strength of character stakes? Bragg?

I give up. Why?
excellent question. Bear in mind it was an expensive proposition proposition. But it was far more expensive proposition in Missouri than Virginia for broke Grant to free his, (a white elephant gift) and he did it in a year.

I give up. Why?
excellent question. Bear in mind it was an expensive proposition proposition. But it was far more expensive proposition in Missouri than Virginia for broke Grant to free his, (a white elephant gift) and he did it in a year.

Certainly an expensive proposition, that could be one reason. The monetary value of the slave population was more than all the factories and forges in the north.

Grant did it, despite the greater cost of mamunition. Lee fought hard to vacate his father in laws mamuniton clause in his will. It was horribly expensive to do it in Missouri. It wasn't cheap to do it in Virginia, but it was a whole lot easier.

Grant did it, despite the greater cost of mamunition. Lee fought hard to vacate his father in laws mamuniton clause in his will. It was horribly expensive to do it in Missouri. It wasn't cheap to do it in Virginia, but it was a whole lot easier.

Post facto moral equivalencies do a real disservice to actually understanding history. But some people like to make those kind of comparisons because of how they fit into contemporary morality.

That's not what the post said. He just compared two contemporaries and how they responded to similar situations.
Trying to add a lot of stuff that was not said in order to gin up some areas to disagree with is not honest argumentation.

That's not what the post said. He just compared two contemporaries and how they responded to similar situations.
Trying to add a lot of stuff that was not said in order to gin up some areas to disagree with is not honest argumentation.

I see, so then there was no actual point to his comparison. Thanks for clearing that up.

Forum List

Back