General Motors Plans To Exclusively Offer Electric Vehicles By 2035

Yep....I know a school bus driver...drives over 80 miles a day for his school route.......in the winter environment too...........can't imagine an electric bus making that route...

There is a electric bus that runs between Reno and Carson City. 30 miles, one way.

I drive down to Carson City probably 6 times a month. Half the time that bus is stopped in the Washoe Valley.

So, 45 miles is their range.

Yep....I know a school bus driver...drives over 80 miles a day for his school route.......in the winter environment too...........can't imagine an electric bus making that route...
Not to mention in transit, where I work, the bus is usually out for two shifts per day. It's not like school bus, where I used to work, where the bus is assigned to the driver. Nobody's thought this through. All this "save the rare species of gnat" crap isn't going to work. For Northeastern areas, clean burn diesel is best.

I think in 13 years these guys will crack the code, and batteries will go from where personal computers were in 1992 to where they were in 2005.

Computer technology advanced the way it did because miniaturization techniques were able to place more and more smaller transistors onto a semiconductor matrix. Moore's Law that, in effect said, the number of transistors that could be created in a given space can be doubled at half the price was in effect since roughly 1965 until around 2000.

After that, computer manufacture hit a wall where shrinking the transistors beyond a certain level would make the leads so small and thin they could not withstand the current required to maintain operations. The smaller a conductor, the more resistance to current, that resistance is converted to heat. Increasing the clock speed of signals through that conductor means less and less of the total area of that conductor is used for transmission (skin effect) increasing that resistance. This put an end to Moore's Law.

There were no significant changes to the theory of computer hardware during those years, just increased efficiencies until they hit a wall on just how far they could take those efficiencies.

That being said, a battery is already operating at its atomic limit. Increasing the size of a battery will increase the amount of current that can go in and out of the battery effecting storage capacity and charging rate BUT, the amount of power than can be put in or taken out of a battery relies on the chemical bonds of the ions that make up the chemicals.

There are only so many chemical combinations that can create the electrolytic effect on which batteries operate and there isn't that much further that process can be pushed.

Certainly not the order of magnitude gains in efficiency that would make battery power a reliable alternative to fuel storage which is cheap, reliable, and uses no exotic materials.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back