Game of Thrones (HBO)

Yeah, I completely forgot about the other brother of the queen (the one who pushed the kid off the ledge and attacked the King's Hand)- My wife and I thought the "Dragon" was going to be the father...lol. I've watched every episode (love it) but have been unable to remember all the names so far. I have the books on my e-reader, but am still finishing Book 7 of the Dark Tower and reading The Great and Secret SHow by Clive Barker (again). The ending with the "Golden Crown" was simply awesome last night-easily the best episode yet.

There are 4 books out so far.

A game of Thrones

A clash of Kings

A storm of swords

A feast for crows

I too am waiting anxiously for A dance with Dragons.

Have you looked at The Hedge Knight?
SUMMARY:
Contains an all new exclusive short story by George R. R. Martin! An adaptation of Martin's hit novel, bringing the world of A Song of Ice and Fire to life in comic book form. Night falls over the life of one noble knight and brings the dawn of his squire's knighthood. Dubbing himself "Ser Duncan the Tall," "The Hedge Knight" sets forth to the tourney at Ashford Meadow in search of fame and glory and the honor of upholding his oath as a knight of the Seven Kingdoms. Unfortunately for him, the world isn't ready for a knight who keeps his oaths, and his chivalrous methods could be the very cause of his demise.
Hope this helps; it takes place 100 years prior to Game of Thrones.

Last edited:
Cats out of the bag. The Queen killed John Aryle (sp?) - the former Hand, the new King Joffery is the not Robert's son, but Jamies and King Robert dies. Ned Stark calls out the Queen and King Joffert, then gets back stabbed and is tossed in the dungeon. Arya escapes and Sansa is captured. Robb forms a coalition to take on the the Lannisters. Civil war is about to ensure. The Tyrion makes a deal with some thugs! The monsters on the other side of the wall are about to attack. The Khal Drago, finally kicks some ass and about to lead the Savages (sorry the name evades me at the moment) across the sea to conquer the realm. Pretty much sums it up.

Prediction:
The war wages on and the Stark coalition is losing and losing badly, but inflicting serious damage to the Lannisters and King's army. Word of the savages plans to invade reaches Queen Censi and King Joffery. The Queen and King know they can't defeat the Savages without the Starks help and a unified kingdom. The Starks know this also! Then wall get overrun by the monster (their name evades me) and Jon Snowe gets to the Robb and tells him he must make peace with Lannister and take on the monsters. Ned gets released and pardoned, then they form and alliance to protect the realm from the Savages and Monsters. My predictions.

We shall see! (Being someone who read the the book more than once, I enjoy seeing the predictions of those who have not :D )

This show is packed with great characters. Ned Stark and his brother (the guy in the Nights Watch), Jon Snow, the King's Advisors, the Barbarian King, the Queen and the Girl married off to the Barbarian King.

But my favorite goes to Tyrion Lanister!

He get's even better.....

Yes he does, But my favorite is still Sansa Stark.

Why Sansa Ollie, Arya seems better. I see her developing into a Linda Hamilton type tough broad!

Yes he does, But my favorite is still Sansa Stark.

Why Sansa Ollie, Arya seems better. I see her developing into a Linda Hamilton type tough broad!

Truth is when I typed that I was thinking Arya, don't know why I wrote Sansa, Wait until you see all the shit Arya gets into. They could do 4 hours just on her alone.

She already stabbed the little fat boy and appears to be the only Stark that got away!

You convinced me to pick up the book, but then I saw it was 600+ pages! With 3 little ones to chance I don't think I could get time to read it!

Truth is when I typed that I was thinking Arya, don't know why I wrote Sansa, Wait until you see all the shit Arya gets into. They could do 4 hours just on her alone.

She already stabbed the little fat boy and appears to be the only Stark that got away!

You convinced me to pick up the book, but then I saw it was 600+ pages! With 3 little ones to chance I don't think I could get time to read it!

You just have to read at odd times. I read when I smoke, in the bathroom, waiting for water to boil for tea or something to finish cooking....there are lots of little clumps of time when you could read if you happened to have a book with you. Once it becomes a habit as it is with me, you'll find you go through books faster than you may expect in those little snippets!

For those unfamiliar with the GoT books, Tyrion was always hated by his sister because he was very unnerving (in the book, he is uglier with different colored eyes), but was clever and not easily manipulated by Cersei. Tywin hated him because he was an "un-Lannister" freak and could never be a worthy heir...but most of all, the mother dies while giving birth to him, and the one person Tywin truly loves (although he is close to his brother).

In addition, the books portray Sansa as a bit of a "princess", naive and idealistic, but she wasn't really the bratty bitch she is on HBO. Minor, but noteworthy.

PS...for those that want to read the books but they seem too lengthy, fear not. They will hook you so fast and completely that you can finish each one in a week or two if you have a few hrs before bed and are able to find a little hammock time on the weekends (meaning those of you without children!).

Last edited:
For those unfamiliar with the GoT books, Tyrion was always hated by his sister because he was very unnerving (in the book, he is uglier with different colored eyes), but was clever and not easily manipulated by Cersei. Tywin hated him because he was an "un-Lannister" freak and could never be a worthy heir...but most of all, the mother dies while giving birth to him, and the one person Tywin truly loves (although he is close to his brother).

In addition, the books portray Sansa as a bit of a "princess", naive and idealistic, but she wasn't really the bratty bitch she is on HBO. Minor, but noteworthy.

tyrion hates his dad tywin because of the whore-wife incident too.

side note: can't wait to see everyones reaction to who tyrion's wife will be...lol. :)

Last edited:
Question for those that read the books: did you think there was relationship between Loras and Renly? I didn't see it at all, which is kind of scary because I read the reaction to that scene on another board, and several people claimed "it was obvious" and "there were all kinds of clues and hints, 'Lord of Flowers' and such". Am I the only dolt that missed they were gay?

If I remember correctly that really isn't played up in the books that much. Renly really doesn't grow into that big of a character. A weird twist or two in his part though. Not certain they will get to it in the first season.

Well I don't feel so dumb, now. To me, is was an HBO tactic to please every possible demographic, and I thought that was very lame...as lame as the lesbian scene w/ Ros in Littlefinger's brothel...although I will admit, that kind of sexploitation is somewhat more acceptable :eusa_angel::eusa_angel:

Well I don't feel so dumb, now. To me, is was an HBO tactic to please every possible demographic, and I thought that was very lame...as lame as the lesbian scene w/ Ros in Littlefinger's brothel...although I will admit, that kind of sexploitation is somewhat more acceptable :eusa_angel::eusa_angel:

yeah, and the ladies got to feast on hodor's hodor this week. It's a win for everybody.

I hope Rob's ascent isn't given short shrift...was a little disappointed that his defeat and capture of Jamie had no action; i think people would have liked to have seen the ambush, but I know that is expensive in an already very expensive and expansive project. I hope Tywin gets a lot of air time in the upcoming episodes, and I think Bronn is the likely a favorite character of the upcoming season.

I hope Rob's ascent isn't given short shrift...was a little disappointed that his defeat and capture of Jamie had no action; i think people would have liked to have seen the ambush, but I know that is expensive in an already very expensive and expansive project. I hope Tywin gets a lot of air time in the upcoming episodes, and I think Bronn is the likely a favorite character of the upcoming season.

yeah... 1. it would be expensive.
2. the battle was not described in the book, as the book has no Robb PoV chapters. Robb's story is told through Catalyn's POV and she wasn't in the fight.
3. its the characters that drive the story...the action is just a bonus.

...in both the books and the show.

I am disappointed however with the way they didn't even let tyrion fight, cuz in the book he at least killed a man or two before getting knocked out. Oh well.

Also, Season 2 will have quite a few brand new main characters and story arcs including Stannis Baratheon and his family on Dragonstone, the mysterious asshai sorceress Melisandre, and Davos Seaworth. There are more but this is just an example. Next season should be good, although I hope they up the budget a bit I don't want them to skimp on the naval warfare. :(

Tyrion and Bronn have more adventures though! haha, more or less.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back